Ash and Hawk | Teen Ink

Ash and Hawk

October 23, 2014
By blue-moon SILVER, Palm Desert, California
blue-moon SILVER, Palm Desert, California
8 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If Life is art, Then what is Death?"


The distant sound of howls woke Ash from his deep and peaceful sleep. He mumbled “Go back to Sleep” before turning on his side and nuzzling into the grass. The howl sounded again, then the sound of paw steps towards him sounded like a quiet thunder. “I said go to bed..” He mumbled turning over again and opening his eyes. A brown wolf stood beside him, staring into his eyes with it’s dark yet beautiful amber eyes. The wolf licked his face, and whimpered. “Hawk, what part of go to bed do you not understand?” Ash growled slightly, petting Hawk’s muzzle with his hand. Hawk, the wolf, lay beside Ash and licked his face again. Ash pet Hawk again, calming down the young wolf. “Goodnight Hawk.”      

 

 Ash’s paws ached from walking on the stony shore. Hawk padded beside him, whining as a stone cut his paw. “Ow! Ash, why do we have to walk here to get to the cave? Why can’t we just walk on the grass?” He whimpered, his amber eyes glazed with pain. Ash touched his muzzle to Hawk’s shoulder.

 

        “You’re strong enough to walk on these stones, Hawk. It’s just a small cut, nothing bad.” He flicked his ear.
       “But it’s bleeding a lot.” Hawk lifted his paw to show Ash the cut, which was bleeding.


       “No it isn’t Hawk. Here, how about we walk up to the cave as humans if you’re really that scared to walk on the rocks.” Ash stopped walking before turning human, in a small blast of grey light. His dark grey hair was a little long, covering his ears and the tops of his eyes. His pale blue eyes sparkled from the sunlight as Hawk changed into human form.


       Hawk’s dark brown hair slopped up away from his eyes, but was still as long as Ash’s. He had a few large scars on his face, one on his lip, one under his eye, and a whole bunch on the left side of his face, slicing up from his jawline to his cheekbone.
       Ash put his hands in his grey jackets pockets before he started walking again. Hawk did the same, and followed the older boy. “Ash..” He mumbled looking down at the stony ground. “Why do you like being human? It’s weird.. I mean we were born wolves”
       “We were born shapeshifters, Hawk. Are main forms may be wolves but we can still change into common forms.” Ash glanced and Hawk with a blank face, but smiled shortly after. “Besides, why don’t you like being human? You’re definitely cute when you are.”
       Hawk awkwardly blushed before hiding his face with his hands. “Dude stop it” He chuckled awkwardly. “I’m not cute with all these scars.” He uncovered his face, sighing.
       “You still are.”
       “Shut up!”
       As Ash and Hawk reached the cave they switched back into wolf form. The other wolves look up at the two, and a black one stepped forward. “Where were you?” He asked, growling as he stepped forward. “It’s been two days you imbeciles.”. There was a long pause before the wolf snarled. “Answer me!”.
        “You’re not the Alpha! You don’t pick the rules! You are a omega! I am not answering to such a low rank like you!” Hawk snarled, circling the black wolf. Ash stepped back.
       “And who are you to say I’m not?” The black wolf snapped at Hawk, purposely missing.
       “I’m the Alpha’s son. I’m an Alpha.” The black wolf sunk down in fear. Hawk loomed over him, amber eyes glowing. Then the black wolf sprang up, pushing Hawk down to the ground. He put his jaws around Hawk’s throat, and was about to bite down when-
        “Stop!” The loud howl sounded from a side of the cave. A black and white wolf walked forward, icy blue eyes glowing. Her single white paw and tail tip was unique, and she was much older than everyone, yet she was still young.
        “How dare you hurt my son?” She growled, as the black wolf whimpered and jumped away from Hawk. She walked towards the other wolf and snarled at him. SHe leapt and pushed him to the ground, slashing his chest open with her claws. She lightly jumped off him, then flickered her tail. “Leave and never come back. Tend to your own wounds. Hunt your own food. Leave, now.”
       The wolf ran out of the cave, leaving a small trail of blood. The alpha female, known as Moonclaw, whispered something to another wolf. The brown wolf nodded and ran out the cave, following the trail the other wolf had taken.
       Hawk sat down and looked down at his paws, whimpering. “Sorry mom.”. Moonclaw just shook her head and licked his cheek. “It’s alright. I just don’t want you to get hurt.”. She walked back to where she was originally sitting, her tail flicking.
       “I liked it better when we weren’t here..” Ash murmured quietly, glancing around quickly at the other wolves who stared at him and hawk with confused and angered emotions.
        Hawk nodded slowly and walked back to the entrance of the cave, Ash following him.
       The bright sunlight was now dimmed into the rays of sunset. Orange and purple colors shaded the sky as the sun made its way behind the dark mountains in the horizon. Hawk and Ash sat next to each other on a small hill overlooking this beautiful site. They were in human form, sitting criss-cross on the warm grass.
        “Whoa” Hawk muttered, his amber eyes glancing at the different colors in the sky. “I’ve never seen a sunset so beautiful.” He said glancing down at the grass again. Hawk looked at Ash then back at the sunset.
         “Yeah.” Ash said, his pale blue eyes glowing as the light got dimmer and dimmer. Hawk placed his hand on Ash’s, a awkward silence falling between them. The sun vanished behind the mountains, but the orange colors still lasted in the sky. Clouds that looked light purple floated next to the mountains, seeming to swallow them up. Ash yawned, falling backwards on his back, placing his hands behind his head.
          “Should we go hunt?” He yawned again, glancing over at Hawk. Hawk stared at him before standing up and turning into a wolf again. “Yep.”


The cold air blew through both of the boys pelts as they ran through the forest in search of a deer. They jumped over broken logs, ducked under low branches, and went around bushes. Ash slowed down as he noticed a single deer in the clearing in front of them. The deer’s ears perked up, and it looked around for a few moments before going back to eating a piece of grass. Ash flicked his tail, telling Hawk to go around to the other side. Hawk sneaked around to the other side, and Ash sprang forward. Ash ran at the deer, making it run forward, straight into Hawk’s path. Hawk leapt up, biting directly into the Deer’s throat, making it squel. Ash bit its hind leg, making it fall. The deer struggled before it stopped moving, a small puddle of blood next to its throat. The two wolves dragged the deer through the forest, reaching the hill where they were before.


The two dug into the deer, eating a lot of it. They saw a few ravens fly into the trees near them, waiting for them to be finished with the large deer. Eating as much as the could, they finished. Only a few scraps were left, but it was definitely enough for all of the ravens. Dragging the carcass into the treeline, they left it for the birds. They walked back up onto the hill, and turned back into humans.


        “It’s about time that we get to sleep.” Ash yawned again, laying on the grassy hill top.
        “Yea.” Hawk murmured, laying next to Ash. Both fell asleep, as the sky turned a dark black.