Dates | Teen Ink

Dates

October 19, 2014
By theatremonkey524 BRONZE, Parker, Colorado
theatremonkey524 BRONZE, Parker, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Isn’t it crazy how just a few seconds can change your whole life? When it happened, I was just a little less than flabbergasted, to say the least. I mean something so precise, suddenly became so unclear.
Now I bet, right now, you are wondering what specifically “it” is that I’m talking about. Well, before I get talking about anything about the actual situation, let’s just clear some things up.
First things first, well my name is Alexander Grambell. Currently I’m 16 going on 17, and if you start teasing me about that Sound of Music song, I will punch you smack in the face…. Well obviously I can’t do that but you still get it.
So anyways, me being 16 means I’ve learned some of the basics of the world already, and it also means that I still live with my parents-- yay me!
In my family I’m an only child, with two loving parents. Now I may have a roof over my head and food on the table, but that doesn’t always mean my life is as simple and easy as a Hallmark card.
See my family and I live in a society where everything is, well, perfect-- or at least supposed to be. In our society we don’t have many rules or regulations that we have to follow. Just simply the basics of the major rules we have, are kind of morals; Don’t Murder, Don’t Steal, No Breaking and Entering, etc.
However the most important and probably significant part about our society, is the fact that from the day you are born, you are given a date that is already on your wrist, almost like a birth mark. Now when you first get the date, you don’t really know what it really means, in fact you probably don’t know even what the term “date” means.
As you carry on through elementary school, you slowly progress in knowledge of our society and learn exactly what your date is: The Day You Die.
Now at first when you learn this it may be a little gruesome and scary, considering you're just a little kid and you're already thinking about your death. But there is a sole purpose behind the idea of knowing the date of your death. This whole thing is to teach us to cherish the moments we have in life and to never take anything for granted.
Think about it, if you know the exact day you are gonna die, then you are probably going to use your last moments wisely. This teaches our society to not only treat all moments with care, for your time in the end is soon coming, but it also teaches us that we a have a lot to loose, and makes us realize that the closer we get to that date.
Yes this idea is a bit crazy, but it’s kind of how our whole community is run. If you are going to die within the next year or two, then the occupation you take on is most likely something that isn’t important, since you are going to die soon. If you are going to live for a fair amount of time, odds are you could be getting great opportunities left and right.
Now when it comes down to how your “date” is determined, no one really knows, it’’s kind of random in a way. See we don’t really have a supreme leader over us.
We all have each other, and together as a community we are one. We do have bosses for jobs and things but no real form of government. This is kind of why our set of rules is so simple.
To be quite frankly honest, no one really knows much about our society. Our society has barely any history, and no one knows how we came here in the first place. Also, no one even knows who started the whole concept of the dates. It is an interesting idea, I have to say though, I mean we do learn a lot from it, and our society maintains a good healthy balance, all by itself.
Now getting back to where I started. Me, well my date I’m supposed to die is November 20th, 2014. Again, I don’t know much about the whole “picking” of the dates, but some how I got this one and I’m stuck with it.
If you really want to know the truth about if we actually do die on our given dates-- well we do. It’s just that simple. Everyone who has ever been given a date, has died exactly on that day. And if you are also wondering, no we do not send people just to go kill a person on a specific date. It always is some kind of incurable illness of some sort, or something people can’t do anything about. If you are old usually it’s heart attacks. If you are an adult it could be something as simple as drinking too much.
I think the sad thing about this whole society and the idea of the dates, is the fact that no one ever questions it. I feel like I am the only one that ever questions the given circumstances about why our society ever chose to be run like this.
I still, to this day don’t know how I feel about it. Ever since it happened I’ve been a little more than just confused about the idea. In fact ever since it  happened I have actually been feeling a little different about my position on the concept. The funny thing is is I’m still not sure if I like it or not.
Okay, I bet by now you're wondering what exactly “it” is. Well to say the least “it” is a circumstance or situation per se that happened to me today, or well yesterday.Today is November 21st, 2014-- And I am still alive!


The author's comments:









 







Preferences
















§









1









2









3









4









5









6









7









8









9









0









-









=









Backspace









 









Tab









q









w









e









r









t









y









u









i









o









p









[









]















 











Return











 













 









capslock









a









s









d









f









g









h









j









k









l









;









'









\









 









shift









`









z









x









c









v









b









n









m









,









.









/









shift









 















 











English


















 

















































 


















alt


















alt









 
















 







Preferences