The Ex-Wife | Teen Ink

The Ex-Wife

By Itsaneyeopener SILVER, Kingsland, Georgia
Itsaneyeopener SILVER, Kingsland, Georgia

You know its really boring in here. And dark.

He groaned at the sound of the voice, and shook his head. S***. She was awake.  It had been a month or two since she had spoken. He wondered what made her be so silent before demanding, “Go away! I am the King here, and I command you to go away!”

As if. I bore your daughter, Zeus. I am the Titan Goddess of cunning… and of planning. Swallowing me is never a permanent solution. I am a Titan after all. Your father learned that lesson, with your siblings.

Zeus scoffed. “Always bringing up my father. You think you making yourself known every few centuries claiming that you will come back is supposed to make me fear you, you are a fool. Like my father.”

You are the the one who swallowed me like what your father did with your siblings!

He opened up his mouth to say something, then shut it. Metis was a pest. He should have just thrown her down in Tartarus instead of swallowing her, in effort to stop the prophecy that told him that the son that she will give birth too will overthrow him, with the help of his sister.

River Lethe could have worked too, Metis cheerfully added, her smug tone easy to pick up on. Make me forget everything. Forget that you were my husband, and I would have just wandered off. You could have had Hecate do a spell to where I was infertile, or make me swear on the River Styx that I will never lay with you again so you didn’t have to worry about my children over throwing you.

Zeus sighed and rubbed his forehead. “As you have said multiple times.” Then he  added smugly, knowing his next comment will make her angry. As it had plenty of times before. She was too easy to rile up. “And Athena, is viewed as the motherless goddess, most people have forgotten that you had bore her.”

MOTHERLESS GODDESS! She shrieked, and Zeus winced. Maybe it wasn’t such a good idea to make her angry. She could still give him a headache. Who hammered her armor together? Who-

“You gave me a headache from the hammering, Metis. It was so bad that Hephaestus  split my head open with a axe-”

And I’m supposed to feel bad about that? And anyways, Athena was born in result so why should I care?

“How hurtful, my first wife can’t take pity on me.”

I like the term ex-wife better. Wait no, I like the term ‘the mother who bore the son who overthrew Zeus’.

“You will never get that chance,” He swore to her for what seemed like the millionth time. Zeus clenched his fists and released a deep breath. “You will stay in here for the rest of eternity, making empty threats.”

Well, if you insist. I can always give you killer headaches. Its a favorite pastime of mine.

Zeus groaned and rubbed his forehead. He was about to reply but then Hera walked in.

Oh look, your jealous wife. I wonder who she would react if her husbands ex-wife still lived, and talked to him frequently in your head. Oh, and seen everything. You two are quite naughty really.

“It is meeting time?” Zeus questioned before Metis could go on and Hera starting asking questions.

“Yes, and your late.” Hera frowned and crossed her arms. “Ten minutes late.” The queen of the gods brushed her braid back and walked out of the room, her lips pursed.

Oh and the world is going to stop because somebody was ten minutes late. Good Gods, how can you stand her?

“Maybe its because she doesn’t give me killer headaches and threaten me anymore,” Zeus muttered before following his wife into the throne room. Maybe Metis will shut up for this meeting, for once.

This piece is based off of a Greek Mythology Myth. Zeus's first wife was phrophesied to bear him a son and a daughter that will work together to overthrow him. Wanting to prevent this, Zeus swalled Metis (much like how his father Kronos swalled his children to prevent them from overthrowing him) but Metis was already pregnant with Athena. She gave birth to Athena while in Zeus's stomach. Zeus developed a painful headache, so painful that Hermes (Greek God of Roads) had instructed Hephateus (Greek God of the Forge) to split open Zeus's head and Athena came out, already dressed in armor.