The Adventures of May-bird and Luther | Teen Ink

The Adventures of May-bird and Luther

July 19, 2014
By Gideon GOLD, Harbeson, Delaware
Gideon GOLD, Harbeson, Delaware
10 articles 4 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Who can say if I've been changed for the better, but because I knew you I have been changed for good." -Wicked, Broadway


The Adventures of May-bird and Luther A beaten yet handsome carriage rolled down a dirt road to a respectable cottage in a meadow surrounded by woods. The cottage hosted a pear tree laden with fruit and a tool shed. Out of the cottage came a woman, girl and boy. The woman and girl shared the same kind face and short, golden hair, and the boy was handsome with curly, chestnut hair. When the carriage came to a stop, out sprang a man. The man resembled his son clearly. He ran to his wife and kissed her, the hugged the children. The man and his wife went into the cottage while the girl, called May-bird, and her brother, Luther, went out to play. They played for hours and then began a round of hide-and-seek. Luther hid first, and hid in the pear tree. After a while May-bird found him, and then it was her time to hide. May-bird looked and looked for a place to hide, and finally decided to hide behind the first tree in the wood surrounding the meadow. She hid, and when Luther finished counting, he began his search. First the pear tree, then all around the cottage, then in and around the carriage. Finally he cried, "I give up, May-bird! Come out now!" May-bird was delighted that she won the round and sprung out from behind the tree. As she ran to Luther, May-bird tripped on a rock and was abruptly swallowed up by the earth. When May-bird awoke, she was in her room in the cottage that she shared with Luther, except there was only one bed in the room and that was hers. She walked to the door to ask her parents what was going on, when she saw her reflection in her mirror. May-bird was older, maybe 15, with waist length golden locks and a pale complexion. She ran out of her room into the kitchen where May-bird spotted older, worn-down versions of her parents. "Are you packed, honey?" her mother asked. "Packed for what?" May-bird asked, confused. "For our trip to see Luther and his wife, of course. I thought you were excited to ride in our new carriage!" her father replied. "Um, of course I am! I was just... just... just thinking that the trip was next week, and that's why I'm not packed yet!" May-bird improvised. "Then you better get packing, young lady, for we leave soon." her father said. "All right, I just have to grab something outside!" May-bird cried as she ran out the door. She sprinted over to the tree she had hid behind during hide-and-seek with Luther then, figuring that she came to this fanatical dimension by falling in a hole, searched for a hole. At last May-bird found the hole, and quickly leapt in. May-bird was standing right next to the hole when she opened her eyes. There was Luther, leaning on the pear tree, looking quizzically at her. She walked over to him. "Luther, why are you looking at me odd?" she asked. "You tripped and fell, then sprang out of the ground standing up! Why shouldn't I look at you odd?" he cried. May-bird made a quick decision. "What are you talking about? I didn't spring out of the ground, I tripped and fell, then got up!" she replied. Luther just shook his head as though he didn't believe her. "Now come inside, mother just called for supper." he said. May-bird followed him inside and went to her room to wash up. After checking her mirror, May-bird was relieved to see that she was back to her normal body. The next afternoon, May-bird told Luther that he was right. "You did see me doing all that yesterday." she explained. Then May-bird told all of her adventure, and Luther got excited. "We could use that hole to see our futures! This is amazing! We could get rich!" Luther yelled. Luther blabbered on and on until May-bird brought him to reality. "Luther! We can't do all this, it isn't right. Something bad could happen." she said. "Gosh, May-bird, all right! Now let's go have supper and talk about this in the morning." Luther grumbled. Luther started toward the cottage, but May-bird hesitated. When she too had started out, May-bird mumbled under her breath, "Oh, Luther, I do hope you understand. Because if you do something rash or impulsive, it might come back to you!" But after May-bird fell asleep that night, Luther went outside and tried out the hole for himself. In the morning Luther told May-bird the amazing adventure he had. Luther had arrived on the day that future May-bird and her parents were to leave to visit him and his wife. He woke up from the hole in his bedroom standing beside his bed. Luther could hear clattering coming from a kitchen where his wife must have been making breakfast. Luther was wearing a casual outfit and looking in his 20's. He walked downstairs and saw a beautiful woman that must have been his wife. "I need to grab something outside, darling." Luther had said, then walked outside to find himself living in the same town as his aunt and uncle whom May-bird and he had visited many times. It was a town on the other side of the woods that surrounded their meadow and could be reached in an hours' carriage ride on the dirt path through the forest. However, Luther didn't have any money to pay for a carriage ride, so he decided to walk although it would take him a day. So Luther walked and whenever he saw a carriage coming down the road, he would duck into the forest and wait for it to pass. When Luther finally reached the meadow he leapt back into the hole. By the time Luther finished his story, May-bird's mouth hung open. "Luther, I can't believe you!" she cried. "I told you that we should wait to think about the hole until the morning! Why did you go behind my back and use it?" As May-bird was saying this, she thought, I was wrong! He didn't understand, and went off and used the hole! How rash and impulsive does that boy get?! "Sorry, I didn't know it meant so much to you." Luther said quietly."But you need to stop making such a big deal about these things. I'm older, so I know what's right and wrong!" "No, you don't!" May-bird cried. Luther started to tell her off, but the May-bird said, " Neither of us do. We're just children, so that type of thinking of rights versus temptation isn't clear to us, at least most of the time. But I get the shivers from that hole, so believe me, just this once! Let's never use it again." May-bird explained. "You know what? You might be right. I'll listen to you this time, but if anything goes wrong it's your fault!" Luther relented. And so, Luther and May-bird covered up the hole.