Test Subjects | Teen Ink

Test Subjects

By PirateCountry DIAMOND, Muncie, Indiana
PirateCountry DIAMOND, Muncie, Indiana

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Each subject responded differently to the same stimuli presented during the experiment.

The first one after the prototype was a young girl model. She had been made using elements of steel and glass. We soon realized, however, that although the test was successful, we had implanted faulty wiring. We were surprised she had functioned at all.
When put in our test room, she sat down on the floor and cried. There was too much static in her voice for our taste and the tears that came out of her eyes were slightly green in color. She didn't even look up at the cylindrical room and the doors in it.
In the end, she cried until her circuits burned out and we disposed of her.

The second subject was a little better. He was a young boy model. I had given the task of his creation to one of my underlings as a project, so I do not know the details regarding the materials used to create him.
When put in the test room, the boy walked the perimeter of it and regarded each of the five doors with a blank stare. This disappointed me, for I had wanted to see some spark of curiosity in his gaze.
Because he lacked this curiosity, he didn't think try and open any of the doors. When he came to the last door, he stared at it until we ordered him to shut down.

The third was a disaster. It lacked self control and patience. It was a fully grown male model.
He ran to the first door he saw and tried to beat it down.
Naturally, behind every door was a solid brick wall. The subject bashed into it again and again until it destroyed itself and we had to pick up the pieces.

The fourth was a young woman model.
When put in the test room, she walked to each door and opened it. When she saw the wall behind the door, she moved on to the next one.
When she had opened all the doors, she would stop and stare into space for a few seconds.
Then she would do it all again.
She continued this pattern fifteen times before we stopped her.

The fifth was a young boy again. Just like the subject before him, he opened each door and found a wall behind. But instead of repeating the process as the woman model had, he moved to the center of the room.
He stood with his head bowed for quite a long while.
I was about to terminate the experiment, declare it another failure.
But then...
The subject turned to the camera.
And he smiled.

PirateCountry DIAMOND, Muncie, Indiana

Thanks! I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I wanted it to be a bit vague. It's basically about a scientist creating humanoid robots and testing them out. He gets a different result each time.

nelehjr DIAMOND, Lingle, Wyoming

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

It's very entertaining but I don't think I quite understand...Very thoughtful though!