Imaginary Friend | Teen Ink

Imaginary Friend

April 17, 2014
By truecrimekid BRONZE, Morrisville, Pennsylvania
truecrimekid BRONZE, Morrisville, Pennsylvania
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

You haven’t talked to me in a while.
I wish you would say something. I've been hoping you will. Why don’t you hear me when I talk? We used to be such good friends. Best friends. But that was years ago. Now, you don’t even mention me in passing.
Why won’t you just look at me? I call your name and sometimes I almost think you hear me, your head switches imperceptibly behind you. But then you go back to what you were doing and I’m left standing there alone.
I wish everything could go back to the way it was then, when you and I were such good friends, when you told me everything. Now you tell your boyfriend and your followers on Twitter, but never me.
If you would just whisper my name one day, this would all be so much easier to bear. I wouldn't feel doomed to loneliness. I just want you to think of me as you try to fall asleep.
I don’t want to be invisible. I know I’m not interesting or new, but you didn't used to mind.
I understand that you've grown up now, but couldn't you still find time for your imaginary friend?


The author's comments:
When you grow up and don't need an imaginary friend anymore, how do they feel?