Sixteen chapter one | Teen Ink

Sixteen chapter one

February 28, 2014
By emilybean BRONZE, Hemet, California
emilybean BRONZE, Hemet, California
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

She thought about it all the time. Was she the only one? To be a teenager had to be the most exciting thing ever. “I wish could see what its gonna be like, just for one day” she thought to herself. Katie was obsessed. Being 9 years old and stuck in the 4th grade when she was so obviously meant to be 16. In high school, with a car, maybe even a boyfriend! Maybe her future boyfriend was in the room right now. She scanned the room or potential future romances.
“Katie…..Katie!..........Kaitlyn!!!!!”
“what? oh! yes? sorry Mrs. Turner” the class snickered and Katie could feel her cheeks turning red.

“I asked you a question Miss Miller, time to come back to earth now”

“I, I, didnt hear what you said” Katie muttered against her will.

“That’s what I thought, that’s the 3rd time today Katie.” everyone stared at her, waiting for her to respond, their eyes felt like a million tiny lasers aimed at her skull, she sat there waiting to burst into flames.”What is the capital of Maine?”

“errrrrr…” PING-PING-PING. The bell chimed, Katie made swift eye contact with her best friend Jaymee and bolted out the door. She didn't stop running until she got to the very back fence of the field where she sat, criss cross applesauce and waited for Jaymee. “Took you forever Jay!”

“Agusta”

“what?”

“Agusta, Agusta is the capital of Maine! I told Mrs. Turner you said it before you left and she just didn't hear you”

“I cant wait till were 16”

“Earth to Katie! what happened in there!?”

“I was just thinking. dont you ever wonder what it will be like? don't you feel like everything before 16 is stupid? i want to be 16, to have a car and a boyfriend, and go to highschool!”

“Highschool? youre not even gonna pass the 4th grade Katie! My sister is in highschool and she said it's even stupider than 4th grade, lets go home.” On the short walk home from school the girls talked about their day, and the gross cafeteria food, and how stupid it was that they had to memorize 50 state capitals when they were only living in one. But Katie’s thoughts drifted back to 16.
Katie stared at her ceiling from her bed. she rolled over to check the time, 11:00pm. she had been in bed for 3 hours. “Im not even tired yet” katie mumbled to herself. “if i was 16 I wouldn't have a bedtime and I wouldn't of had to roll over to check the time, i could have just checked my cell phone.” She turned on her hello kitty TV to Fairly oddparents and drifted to sleep.
Katie woke up to the usual alarm clock sound, but she couldn't find her alarm clock, it wasnt there on the nightstand where it was last night, she searched around under the covers and found a Cell phone. could it be? did her mom have finally come to her senses and bought her the phone shes been wanting for months? She silenced the alarm. “ black?” her fingernails were painted black, she wasn't allowed to paint her nails much less black. something was wrong. Katie rolled out of bed turned on her light and faced the mirror. she was taller, almost a whole foot. Her hair had grown out of its awkward bob and was almost to her hips….she had hips! Katie finally realized what had happened, her wish came true, she went to sleep 9 and woke up 16! This was going to be the best day of her life, now all she had to do was get through the day, she had no idea who she was or what she did as a 16 year old, but she was eager and ready to find out.