The Mist | Teen Ink

The Mist

By Janish33 BRONZE, Jenkintown, Pennsylvania
Janish33 BRONZE, Jenkintown, Pennsylvania

One lives in the hope of becoming a memory.

The mist coated the darkness in a layer of ominous silence. The only sound echoing throughout the stands was a boy’s footsteps. He traveled along the frozen metal benches, losing his balance only twice. He continued to walk up and down the bleachers on his path to nowhere, until halted by a sight never he had yet to experience. The mist surrounding the entire stadium swirled and turned, weaving in and out of a figure he could barely see in the distance. The figure seemed to be controlling the vapor, moving with a fluidity the small fog duplicated. They were dancing in a way; reacting to the movements of the other, creating a balance between the two. The boy took a slight step forward, curious and amazed by this sight. Instantly, the mist and its partner stopped moving. The shadow’s back was turned to the boy, and its arms -once up in motion- gradually fell to its sides. The mist slowly moved, twisting and curling towards the boy. He took just a step backwards, but within that step lied his destiny. Slipping on the freezing cold metal of the bench, the boy collapsed. It was then that the mist struck. It swarmed in from all sides, creating a dense circular wall, through which the boy could see nothing. Just moments after he regained his footing, the tendrils of the vapor reach out to him, and a force threw him back to the ground. The mist radiated an iridescent glow around the scene, and standing over him, the boy could now clearly see the figure. Realization creeped across the boys face as he saw who his attacker truly was. The figure lifted his arms quickly. The mist followed simultaneously, and the world stopped. The mist stood still, each drop of vapor clearly visible in the darkness. All noises were interrupted in this moment by silence. Time was still. The boy stared into the face of the figure, unable to comprehend the perception of his eyes. The hiatus was soon severed with a deadly scream. Just after this fatal scream ended, did the mist slowly accented upwards, revealing the body of the boy, walking from the scene of his death.