Strengthen | Teen Ink

Strengthen

November 8, 2013
By chosenunicorn GOLD, Richmond, Virginia
chosenunicorn GOLD, Richmond, Virginia
11 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
“If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.”
― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
“Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
― A.A. Milne


She holds her drink carefully as the train moves along. She sits, legs crossed, taking up as little space as possible, though no one sits next to her. Her drink warms her face, and the smell enters her mouth. A man sitting across from her stares quizzically at her. She doesn’t drink from the cup, but instead just feels the warm coming from within it. The man is wearing ripped shorts, a too small jacket, and no shoes. He hasn’t shaved since his wife kicked him out two months ago. His stomach growls and grumbles loudly, and he is embarrassed by it. He doesn’t want this lady to give up her warm drink on this winter day in the city, but once she hears his stomach's pleas, she feels she must. He shakes his head, not accepting. She moves it closer to him and gives him a smile. This time he accepts and takes a sip. Though the liquid burns down his throat, he drinks it all quickly. He smiles at her. His teeth are even more discolored than before. She smiles back as she gets off the train. She walks past a man wearing all black and nods at him. He says, "has your mission been completed?" She just nods and continues walking. The man from the train runs after her.

"What did you give me?" he asks. "It has made me feel stronger. Tell me, what is it?" The woman doesn’t answer. She gives him a wink and disappears into the crowd.


The author's comments:
My inspiration was a cup of very hot, yet good, hot chocolate.