The path least followed | Teen Ink

The path least followed

Have you ever heard a sound in the middle of the night? Have you ever wondered where that sound came from? Of course normal people will be able to realize that it's just a sound. It could have been the house settling, maybe the neighbors are making it, but in the end it's just a sound and you don't care so you go to sleep. Unfortunately they're people who are different. The people who don't really have that many friends, the people who wish to have the chance to be a hero, the people who if they could go anywhere it would be inside their favorite anime. When that type of person hears that noise they don't take it as just a noise, they begin to wonder. There are many things in this world that should be kept secret. There are not many people who know the secrets, but once you find out you can never go back to being normal again. Many people wish they knew the secrets that are kept hidden, but in reality you really don't because its not all like an anime. Secrets are kept secret for a reason. Before you begin learning the secrets let me warn you one last time that this isn't like an anime, this isn't going to be a story where boy falls for girl and they end up getting married. This story is about a boy who learns of these secrets and along the way many people will die. This is it after this there is no turning back. Ok now we shall begin but remember if you die along the way I warned you...

"How long has it been since I was last happy. I wonder. I had a dream last night about me saving a girl from a fire and her falling in love with me. I wish I had the chance to be a hero just once". "Do you really want that?" "What the hell! "Do you really want to be a hero?" Yes. " very well be ready and remember you asked for this" I really am crazy aren't I? I'm hearing voices now. What the hell was that noise!"

Kyle turned 15 last September and when he closed his eyes and blew out the candles he wished to be a hero. Kyle didn't have many friends and felt awkward talking to new people. He really enjoyed just watching anime and playing video games. He wasn't really lazy he just didn't have anybody to do anything with. At night he would stare up at the ceiling and wonder why he was born. "There must be a better reason than this". On occasions he would hear bumps or see shadows like everyone else but instead of shrugging them off he was fascinated by them. Were they little hints to guide him to his real adventure? Probably not, he was just weird it seemed. It was on a night like this when he heard the voice in his head. The voice asked him if he wanted to be a hero. Of course he replied yes because even though he knew he created the voice he really did want to become a hero. It was then when he heard a sound in his closet and for some reason Kyle got up to check it out. Once a person discovers a secret, even the tiniest of secrets the game begins and a whole new world unfolds before him. That was also the moment he got stabbed through the chest.

"I shouldn't even go check the closet. I'm normal, it's just a noise. Don't go check Kyle. Don't go check Kyle. Fine ill go check. See there's nothing in here." "Hey bend down" "what another voice in my head wow,I'm a nutcase." "Bend down I need to tell you a secret" "Is that shadow talking to me? Well maybe if I bend down the voice will stop." "Kyle guess what?" "What shadow who I'm pretending is talking to me." " welcome to the game, now do me a favor and die." "I think I got stabbed. My body feels heavy. But shadows can't stab people. Is that all my blood? Am I the one screaming like that?" "Kyle what's goin... Oh my god honey call an ambulance quick!" "Why's mom freaking out its fine nothing happened. " "Son stay calm f*** we need to stop the bleeding Kyle can you hear me!?" "Yes dad I can hear you. That's weird I can't talk. Why am I so sleepy all of a sudden?" "Welcome to the game Kyle you said you wanted to be a hero so i let you, try to survive Kyle and remember you're not the only one who can see them there are others and they will try and kill you" "The voice from earlier, wait kill me?" "Yes kill you Kyle, trust no human or demon if you want to live". "What the hell do you mean demons!" "Become the hero Kyle, win and become the hero"

It was a week since the incident accrued. The day after the incident, Kyle was aloud to leave the hospital because there was no damage done to his body. No doctor could argue that there was a gaping hole in the boys body one minute and the next it was gone. It baffled the entire staff and finally they agreed to let him rest the night and leave in the morning. When asked what happened, Kyle claimed he was stabbed by a shadow and because of that he was put in therapy for a week. Kyle was fine after that, he didn't talk to any more shadows and it seemed like his life was getting back to normal. Kyle walked into his classroom on the first day of school hating where he was. Since his family had recently moved he was attending a new school. Normal people with there normal friends and normal clothes sat before him. He resented them because none of them had ever been stabbed by a shadow. It was 15 minutes later when he met Kimi. It was 15 minutes later when Kimi fell in love with Kyle. It was 15 minutes later when all the students and the teacher were dead and Kyle and Kimi were running for there lives.

"Look at you with your friends. I bet you think I'm weird. I hate all of you already." "Welcome students please find a seat. I'm mrs.cloud I will be your home room teacher from today onward so can we have everybody introduce themselves. You in the red shirt in the back lets start with you." "Me why start with me? Hello my name is Kyle Anderson, nice to meet you all thank god that's over" "Come on Kyle a little more what are your hobbies?" "Shut up! Stop asking me questions. Umm I like Anime and.." "Kyle can you see me?" Another talking shadow! What are you?" " Kyle who are you talking to?" "Nobody just uhh like I was saying I like anim.". "I'm gunna kill them, all of them watch!" "Kill them?! What do you mea.."

It happened so fast, the shadow was on Kyle's desk then it was gone and mrs. Cloud was dead, her blood raining down over the class. One by one the children began to scream as they were being cut down by something they couldn't see. Kyle couldn't move. He was going to die. He was going to be killed by a shadow. "Run damnit!" He was being pulled out of the classroom by a person. An attractive blond girl. His ears were ringing as he was pushed up against the locker. "Here" the girl was leaning forward and before Kyle realized it they were kissing. It was his first kiss and with a pretty girl none the less. His eyes became foggy and his head hurt but then he could clearly see it. Not just the shadow that had been chasing them, but a strange looking man in black cloth running toward them with a sword in hand. Except it wasn't a man and Kyle knew that when the sword ignited. He didn't want to believe it, but it was undeniable. The figure running toward them wasn't a human at all. It was a demon. A demon who killed his class and teacher. A demon who was going to kill them. He was going to die. "What the hell are you doing!" Kyle looked over his shoulder at the girl who had been his first kiss. He for some reason wanted to protect her. It was too fast. The sword went through Kyle's chest but he didn't feel pain at all all he felt was his fist connect with the demons face knocking it down. Kyle then pulled the sword out of his chest and positioned his body to strike the demon when it rose. What was happening Kyle was standing in a puddle of his blood but felt no pain and was using a sword as if he had spent years training. Kyle didn't know what was going on but for some reason he loved it. Behind him Kimi stood.Lets see if I was right" Kimi sat down thinking to herself as the demon stood and the fight began.

The demon stood before Kyle with hatred in its eyes, and Kyle faced it with determination in his. The demon swung at Kyle from the left and connected with his temple knocking him off his feet. Kyle fell to the ground where the demon picked him up and punched him the stomach causing blood to spurt out. Kyle wasn't going to accept death that easily as he rose to his feet again. "Stay down" the demon shouted as he uppercut Kyle knocking him down again. Kyle was tired he was sure he had lost most of his blood and was starting to feel heavy. Kyle was about to give up when he remembered. "I want to be a hero" he had said those words. Would giving up be what a hero would do? No, no it wouldn't. Kyle stood again and faced his enemy covered in blood but determined to stay alive. "Just die you bastard!" The demon screamed as it held out its hand and claws appeared. The demon then swung at Kyle looking to finish him off. "You're gonna die if you get hit by that Kyle" Kyle was screaming in his head but his body wouldn't move "Dodge Kyle dodge!" Suddenly Kyle shifted his body under the claw. "Now hit him!" Kyle then pivoted his shoulder to the left dragging the sword through the demons body. "Dammit all" the demon yelled those final words as he fell to the ground dead. "Did I do it?" Kyle dropped to the floor, the blood loss had caught up with him. He couldn't move anymore, he was going to die, but at least he would die a hero. "Don't worry you won't die i'll heal you again" Kimi stood over Kyle, bent down and kissed his forehead. "Besides I can't let my boyfriend die after all" Kyle looked at her before he fainted and thought to himself. What does she mean by again? And what Did she mean by boyfriend? And what will happen next. Kyle awoke in a bed. The blankets were really soft and smelled nice. Had he died and gone to heaven? No he was alive. And he wasn't in the hospital. Or his house. Where the hell was he? Kyle sat up and saw that the room was defiantly a girls with posters hanging on the walls, but it seems the closet was filled with lights for some reason. What was going on Kyle wondered as the door opened and the girl from earlier walked in. "So you're finally up sleepy head" Kimi giggled as she sat down next to Kyle. "Yeah... Wait who the hell are you and where am I and where's my shirt damn it." Wow rude Kyle here's your shirt and I'm Kimi. "How do you know my name" Kyle asked but in the back of his head he was remembering what the voice had said "don't trust humans or demons if you want to live" "well" began Kimi "you did introduce yourself to the class today but besides that I got a notification that a new player had entered my school so I knew who yoU were. Although it surprised me that you didn't unlock your powers until you fought that demon, if it wasn't for me you would have been killed by that goblin your first five minutes. Oh and by the way im not going to kill you because you're my boyfriend now" Kyle's head was overloaded but he asked "why do you want me to be your boyfriend?" "Well because its not everyday a new person with the power comes around and because you were going to die so i awakened your power for you with my kiss" "how?" Well I'm a Mage so,I used magic to combine your soul and mine, I thought since you already had the power within you the jump start was a good idea and I was right. But you have a strange power there" Kyle was really confused at this point with this power talk and stuff "wait Kimi why is my power weird" Kimi sighed "Well Kyle simply it seems you have the same powers as a high class demon which is why you were able to use that sword, speaking of which I brought it for you" "Kimi where are you parents" "Dead Kyle just like yours, dead" Kyle looked at Kimi waiting for the punch line of the bad joke but it never came. "My parents aren't dead Kimi I saw them this morning." Kimi grabbed Kyle's shoulders and looked him in the eyes " you broke the rules and learnt the secrets no human should learn Kyle. Do you think theres no penalty? I was like you once after I first found out that the shadows could talk of course I didn't get stabbed but I was scared and when I told my parents they didn't believe me, so when I told them the shadows were going to kill them they didn't believe me. My powers activated after I watched my parents get killed by shadows. I killed the demons soon after and have been alone ever since. Kyle was stunned "why our parents it was us who have seen the secrets, we're these so called players why would they kill innocent people!" "Because they want us Kyle, when a player dies he doesn't just die he becomes a demon" demons aren't born Kyle they're made when a person who has seen the secrets of this world dies. They want us so to make us weak they kill our loved ones. Also the more humans a demon kills the stronger he will become especially if we're around them I don't know why but that's how it works." Tears rolled down Kyle's face " I don't want this, this isn't like an anime at all why do they have to die! Why can't I go back I don't want to ever had learnt the secrets!" Kimi slapped Kyle "pull your s*** together Kyle! You think this happened to you randomly? No you were born for this I don't know why bit it would have been a matter of time before you were attacked anyway and this way you're alive. Stay with me, we'll support each other from now on me and you against all, trust me ill never die in you. " for some reason Kyle felt warmer as he clung to Kimi and cried. This is the beginning of the the end for not only these two but for the entire world as more demons and players will soon appear before theses two as a test of strength and love. But as I told you before the Path will be covered in blood.

I thinks it pretty good