Girl on the Island with no Exit: the Plan | Teen Ink

Girl on the Island with no Exit: the Plan

May 21, 2013
By M.R.Mapixle GOLD, Edison, New Jersey
M.R.Mapixle GOLD, Edison, New Jersey
17 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
Friends come and go, but enemies accumulate












---Murphy's law


Neptune swam to the great prison, flanked by his two guards, Silos and Thunk. The soldiers on guard saluted and banged on the great prison door twice before opening it. The great king swam in, motioning for his guards to stay by the closing door. With a snap of his fingers, lantern fishes lighted up the dark room.
In the center of the prison, a lone merman lay in chains. At the sound of visitors, he raised his head and watched them with curious green eyes that held the remnants of something ancient and powerful. His blond hair was matted and overgrown from neglect, and stuck to his dirty face in a concealing curtain. As the great king approached, he lifted his head and looked up into Neptune’s weary face. Then he smiled a small smile.
“Josepher, what evil have you been planning in this dark prison?” Neptune asked, his voice the sound of angry waves.
“None at all.”
“Then do you care to explain the darkness that lurks in this kingdom?” Neptune’s eyes narrowed. “Have you contacted Oceana at all?”
Again, the prisoner smiled. “Great King of the Oceans, surely you did not think your power was the law? You may be worshiped as the God, but the forces of the world do not distinguish between the worshipped and the damned. Even immortals must perish some day.”
As the prisoner talked, small tendrils of green smoke began to form on the prison floor. It curled and uncurled, wrapped itself on the chains and began eating away at the rusty silver. It lifted into the water and formed ghastly shapes before fanning out.
Neptune raised his staff to clear the smoke, shooting out jets of water. Joshua, with great strength, lifted his hands and tore apart the disintegrating chains. He laughed, forming a solid sword with the smoke. Using his tail, he propelled himself towards the oncoming guards, cleaning slicing Silos’s hand off. Thunk raised his hammer, preparing to strike, but the smoke grabbed the weapon and clung on. Joshua slowly advanced, a mad fire burning in his eyes. Tauntingly he put the blade of the sword beneath the guard’s chin.
“Time is changing, time is coming” he whispered. “Don’t let your guard down, or you may perish along with your master!”
Then, with a great laugh, he broke through the door of the prison and swam up to the otherworld.
….
Oceana stared out at the restless ocean from her perch on the outcropping of hard rock. Her eyes stared at the waves as the slapped the water, at the fish that sometimes jumped out of the water in alarm, at the white foam that formed and gurgled violently. She frowned. “It is here” she whispered. “It is time.”
Behind her, Stark climbed up to the outcropping and stood staring at the strange girl. He had only been on the island three days, but already he was homesick. He couldn’t help remembering his father’s ship as it tossed about the storm and waves, only to throw him out. He wondered if the storm had driven his father back home, or blown him somewhere of course. With a sigh, he walked over to the prisoner of the island who seemed troubled with everything.
“Oceana, how long have you been here?”
Oceana turned and regarded the boy, her sad blue eyes taking in the mop of brown hair and blue eyes that sparked brightly, as though the world was his friend and he was the world’s friend. She wondered.
“Only a year” she lied.
“Why aren’t there any other prisoners?”
“Don’t know” she lied again. They never made it, she thought.
“Well…do you know what happened to my dad’s ship?” Stark asked.
Oceana stared at the boy. Why did he have to be so curious? Suddenly, her body tingled. She was suddenly underwater, surrounded by green smoke and chaos. Shouts rang out through the smoke, and shadows flitted here and there. An alarm was sounding. Just then, a laugh, sweet and sour with revenge and triumph. A dark shadow shot out of the smoke and rose to the surface, leaving a mess behind it.

“Oceana?” Stark asked, worried. A veil had covered her eyes, and her body had stiffened.
Suddenly, life flew back into the girl’s form. She blinked.
“Stark, can you swim?” she asked suddenly.
“huh?” Stark asked, surprised at the sudden question. “Sure.”
“Then we’ll go swimming soon.” Oceana promised, excitement flowing through her body.

Josepher floated along the surface, taking in the prison of an island. He silently mocked the sun that always shone, the trees that waved in the silent wind, the sand that served as a mere decoration. He swam over to the island and crawled onto the beach, waiting as the itching pain in his tail disappeared and left him two legs with which to walk. He slowly stood, finding his balance. Then he snapped his fingers, and the green smoke swarmed over him, forming the clothes of a typical human on the beach. Then he walked over to where the matching power was.

Oceana stared outside. She could see a figure waking up to the cave. She wanted to cry out with joy, but restrained herself. Glancing back, she saw the boy curled up in sleep. Smiling, she slipped off to meet her love. The sand cushioned her feet as she ran, stopping only when she fell into Josepher’s arms. He smiled. “How are you, sweet?” He murmured.
“Horrible,” she answered. “But everthing’ll be all right now, right?”
“Yes, Oceana, yes.” Josepher whispered. “Do you know what to do?”
“Just like we planned.” Oceana answered, leaning her head on his chest.

Stark stared at the dark void he was standing in. Where am I, he wondered. Just then, a shadow formed from the darkness, taking the shape of some creature that was cross between an eagle and a T-Rex. Stark stared at the creature, some part of him knowing they had met before.
“Stark Lightan,” It growled in a voice that was deep and ancient, “it has come”
“it?” Stark asked.
“Time. Time for change. And you must change it for the better.”
“Me? Why me?”
Suddenly, he was transported back to his home. He stared around, then started. There was HIM, only it wasn’t him. He was younger, perhaps five or six. As he watched, the young Stark ran around the sand, laughing and building sand castles. Just then, a small scream pierced the air. Turning, both saw Stark’s younger sister, Caryn, in the water, nearly drowning. As old Stark watched, young Stark ran into the water, grabbing Caryn. But the waves were strong, and soon the two of them were falling victim to the water. Then, the water parted, and young Stark dragged his sister to safety.
“You see, Stark, you have power.” The ancient creature said. “You must defend the world”
As the creature faded, it threw something through the air.
Stark woke, clutching a necklace.


The author's comments:
Sorry for the long wait, but my little sister finally gave me the idea. I'll hopefully finish the finale soon.