The Myth of the Fall of Balica | Teen Ink

The Myth of the Fall of Balica

March 21, 2013
By William Bryant PLATINUM, Biloxi, Mississippi
William Bryant PLATINUM, Biloxi, Mississippi
29 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In the beginning, the world of Balica was a very different place from what it is today. There were no great cities, nor was there any unity to be found except for the small nomad tribes that roamed the open terrain. Each tribe tended to its own needs and wants and disvalued anything that was not of their own. That was until the birth of two very special brothers that would one day change the fate of the world.

During one of the harshest winters that this world of Balica has ever faced, a tribeswoman from the Urkwoy tribe had stumbled upon a well wrapped bundle that was laying atop a small snow mound. Upon further investigation the woman had realized that in her hands she held not some lost item of a traveler, but had instead had saved a pair of twin baby boys. One child was a golden eyed babe with snow white hair and his older brother had pitch black hair and the bluest eyes that have ever existed. Both were bound to become the founders of the old society of Laputa. When the tribeswoman finally realized what she had found, she rushed to return to her tribe to tell her story and to nurse the famished children back to health.
After years of maturation in the tribe, the boys had clearly become their own people, but were still nearly inseparable. The older brother, named Mechanicus, was a master craftsman before his eighth birth year and had even constructed self-efficient automatons that helped to tend to the villages needs. His brother, Maximulous, was a brilliant biologist and by his tenth birthday had created so many new strains of botanic foods that the population of the village would boom for years due to the availability of food. The two brothers had constantly toiled together side by side and strived to create and invent for the greater good of their people.

It didn’t take many years before great masses of peoples had congregated in the lands of the Urkwoy tribe in order to benefit from the brothers’ great miracles. Soon the resemblings of a nation began to form, and was soon named Laputa in honor of the area that the twin brothers were found. For years the nation of Laputa thrived and prospered, but with the passing years the brothers grew apart, each devoted to his own specialty, and eventually forming a following each.
The Mechants were the most devout of Mechanicus’s followers, displaying their loyalty to the machine by adopting the cog as their symbol, they mostly resided in the most advanced and modernized areas of Laputa and dwelled inside the numerous factories. Their most concentrated areas became rife with technology; automatons tended to every need, the streets were all equipped with personnel transports, even the plants and trees and most of the flora were truly just disguised oxygen recycling units. The largest of these areas was dominated by a giant factory that spewed blinding white smoke on a secondly basis. The gigantic factory was the headquarters of Mechanicus and served as the main staging point for all of the automaton research and mass production for Laputa.
The dwelling of Maximulous was a stark contrast with the lair of his brother. Maximulous resided in a laboratory that was nestled inside the safety complex of the root system of a giant tree that served as his greatest masterpiece. The giant tree was personally engineered in seed form by Maximulous himself, for the tree was meant to be the end of all troubles for his people. The tree grew every fruit and almost every vegetable that was known to the world of Balica, but the tree could not reproduce for the dna was too altered to contain any reproductive means. This problem soon became an obsession of Maximulous, and his obsession soon began to whittle away at him and his relationship with his steely brother.

As the brothers grew apart, so did the cities. As time progressed, each civilian of Laputa chose a side, whether it be to follow the cold crafts of Mechanicus and his Mechants, or to work towards a different kind of biology with the Maximulous and his Bioisists. With each passing year the followers of each brother became more wary of the followers of the other. The differences were vast and extensive, from the methods of food production to the everyday way of life, each side even had formed its own moral code and ethics. It finally got to where the differences were too great, it finally got to war.

In the end of the war, at its epic climax, the brothers disappeared. The bodies of neither brother were found, no remnants what-soever were found. This “fact” has led some strange theories of their own. Some believe the brothers are dead, others say that the brothers were really Gods who had finished their work on Balica, while more believe they are just in hiding somewhere. To this day there has been no further evidence to conclude anything other than that the myth is just a myth.


The author's comments:
The name Mechanicus was borrowed from the Warhammer 40k series.