The Domestication | Teen Ink

The Domestication

By GabbyM GOLD, Wentzville, Missouri
GabbyM GOLD, Wentzville, Missouri

A black van parks on the street of a Latino barrio; the first day of the new operation “Round-Up & Relocate” is about to begin. Suddenly an old pickup truck with a wheelchair in the truck bed pulls up to a small adobe house nearby. A middle aged man and an old couple emerge; the old woman is helped into her wheelchair by the younger man, her son. They approach the home and the door swings open. Cries of joy are heard as tears are shed and laughter erupts from the doorway. A faint conversation can be heard; “Hay míjo, it’s been so long since we’ve seen you.” said a thickly accented voice from the old woman. The man from inside the house replies, “It’s been almost ten years mamá, but the time I’ve spent working and the money it took to get you here was worth it. I’m just sorry I couldn’t get you passports or visas.” The old man laughs and says, “If we are careful, it will not matter. As long as we are here together, nothing else matter mijíto.” The surveillance camera from the bushes along the front window zoom into the small quaint living room as the adults enters inside. They are greeted by a young girl, a woman, and several small children. They all kiss and hug each other, and suddenly the homeowner says, “Mamá, papá, and mi hermano, these are my children.” The children smile in wonder at the family they’ve spoken to but never seen before, and the eldest cries with joy at finally seeing her abuelos and tío again. But suddenly there is a pounding at the door. Two men in suits and dark sunglasses hold out a government issued arrest. The taller, darker of the two says, “The government has declared that all Hispanic immigrants, past, present, and illegal, are to be seized and transferred to new holding facilities. You must come with us.” The faces in the room fall, the light in their eyes has been lost. The children begin to sob and the eldest screams as they are drug out of their home by other officers in vans that have just arrived. Suddenly all through the barrio shouts can be heard as doors are kicked down and the “Invasives” are captured. Large livestock carriers arrive and the Invasives are forced into the hold, small holes peer out to the familiar world they once knew as they are whisked away to an unknown place far from their rangeland.

After being sorted out between legal invasives and illegal invasives, the invasives are corralled back into the trucks to be distributed to their appropriate holding area. The illegal invasives will be relocated back to their native range, however the government decided it would be best to instate some sort of punishment so they will not return. After all, how will an animal learn its lesson if you don’t punish it first? So the illegal invasives, or I.Is, were transported down to the southern border, now called The Fence. Once they reached The Fence, the I.Is are given two options; swim or climb. The first option will demand that the I.Is swim across the Rio Grande in order to reach their native rangeland. However, if these I.Is possess the ability to swim, they will be pulled from the water and another I.I of lesser ability would be sent out in their place. This shall be done in order to ensure that the I.Is learn the consequences of crossing The Fence and leaving their rangeland. The second option will be to climb The Fence itself and reach the other side. The I.Is would be placed at a starting point from which they would run to The Fence and attempt to cross. The point at which the I.Is will start is not important; however the distance from the starting point to The Fence must be at least one mile in distance. Though since these I.Is are accustomed to traveling long distances on foot this should not be a challenge for most of them. The I.Is will be given approximately ten minutes until the Canine Regulatory Unit is deployed. If any I.Is are overpowered or wounded by the Canine Regulatory Unit, they will remain undisturbed by the government officers until they have either crossed The Fence or expired. These measures are taken to ensure the future safety and purity of our homeland’s soil and protect our purebred nation from mixing with such undomesticated creatures as the I.Is.

The legal invasives, or L.Is, are then be relocated to a Domestication Facility. The L.Is are separated by gender, dividing them into “Joes” for male L.Is and “Marys” for female L.Is. They are then assessed for their abilities as growers, plowers, or carriers. Growers are the most disposable of the L.Is and include the weak, lame, sickly, old, and young L.Is. Growers will be trained in the ways of cultivated and harvesting crops, since their physical abilities allow them to do little other work. The plowers are the second most fit and desirable of the three L.Is. They are strong and capable of plowing fields once hooked up to a horse drawn plow by a grower. They are crucial in the tilling and fertilizing of our agricultural land. The carriers are only the most fit and stocky of the L.Is. They are trained to haul and carry large loads from place to place and can be used as transport for materials and our people. They will also be the only L.Is allowed to breed since they are of the best genetic stock and they will continue to produce strong, efficient invasives. After several generations of L.Is are bred and raised, they will be named “Domestics” if they display pleasing enough characteristics. Those with the best temperament will go to our people’s farms and ranches, serving as cheaper, smaller, and more efficient work animals. As for the issue what to do with infected or expired invasives, there will be no money wasted on those who are not one of our people. The infected invasives will be left within an isolation chamber with other infected or undesirable invasives. To prevent further infection the expired carcasses will be cremated and used as nutrient rich fertilizer for our people’s yards and landscaping. As for the invasives who expire due to natural causes, we will dispose of them with minimal effort and space by using nearby quarries which are no longer useable to dispose of the carcasses.

These actions are simply for the best of the people of this country. In order to ensure the safety and well being of the American people, these savage creatures must be taught a lesson and made tame. After all, what else separates us civilized Americans from the subhuman creature which live below us in both location and status? These are the most humane methods to practically treat this issue, and if we treat other livestock and working animals this way, how is it any less moral than that? The government asks its people to cooperate with the presence of these invasives for the time being until we can tame them to be as domesticated as a house cat or family dog. They do not look, speak, act, or live as we do. They are not like us, and therefore they are not us. They are their own species and they should be treated as such. We don’t sit around having civil conversations with birds or fish, and they haven’t the mind to do so. These invaders cannot be spoken to or reasoned with. Therefore we must make decisions for them, and in their best interest. It would be cruel to send these who fled their habitat to come to our land seeking refuge from the wildness and savagery. Since these invasives have made an effort to become more civilized like us, it is our duty as a higher intelligence to domesticate them so they may live amongst us without conflict. This is the decision we will live by, and for the best.

My English teacher encouraged me to submit this. It isn't my best, but if anyone is interested I will be putting my full effort into a book-ish version of this as soon as i am done with at least one more character POV. This is intended to be a satire on Illegal immigration and attitudes towards hispanic people. I myself am half hispanic and i am a spanish speaker. So there is no racism or hateful motivation behind this.