The creature | Teen Ink

The creature

November 15, 2012
By Melmegp BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
Melmegp BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The Creature







A little girl, who was 10 opened the door to her house, and threw her book bag on the floor of the coat closet. She had blonde hair, with curls that were big and bounced as she skipped around. She was very cheerful, and always had a positive attitude. She danced into the kitchen.

She saw her mother sitting at the table in the late afternoon going through magazines. “Mom! Mom! Guess what? They picked me to sing the part of belle in the school musical were doing!”
“Good job, Amy! I’m so proud of you.” Her mom embraced her gently. Katrina, Amy’s mother, had long brown hair. She wore a dress that was pink and short and some heels that clicked as she walked. Her makeup looked professional, always. She marched to the beat of her own drum and everyone in the house new it.
“Now Amy, you left your toys in the Dining room, you know that daddy doesn’t like that.Go pick them up and take them to the toy room.”
“Sure, but can you ask Martha to make me a sandwich? Then, I’m gonna go in the woods and work on my fort more.” Amy said with a chuckle.
She walked through the huge kitchen, and into their dinning room. It was filled with expensive glass ware in the big china cabinets. The solid oak table had lit candles on it, making the room smell like flowers. She tapped across the tiled white floor. She scooped up her Barbie dolls, and cradled them as she took the elevator to her toy room.


Amy shuffled into the kitchen humming to herself. “Martha! Got the part!”
“Good job, child.” Martha said with a smile. “I knew you would.” She placed a sandwich in front of Amy and she immediately wolfed it down. Martha was a sweet old lady. She was the family’s maid, and had been living with them in their house for 7 years. Amy and Martha had a special bond together, though Martha would not play all of Amy’s childish games, she loved Amy. She wore an apron and always had her hair pulled back. She was very tidy and cleaned up every mess she noticed in their house. She got paid and used the money to buy things for Amy, or go out to movies or dinners with her.


After Amy finished, she darted out the side door, and was on her way to the woods behind her house. The sun was high in the sky and the rays beat down on her. A perfect summer day.

Amy slowed her steps as she got to the woods edge. She stumbled through the woods, getting her hair caught on braches, but she didn’t care. She loved the woods. She walked and walked to a big clearing she had loved. She built a fort here, and had been coming here for a year now. She smiled when she saw her fort that took her so long to build. It was made of twigs, and trash, and leaves. She crouched down on a log nearby. She sat admiring her work. Noises in the woods never bothered her, and she heard strange noises all the time. Howls, and yells, and even screams. She was never scared. She heard a crack, of a stick breaking near by. But it didn’t bother her.

Amy’s mother had grabbed a towel and gone out to the deck to sunbathe. She had a glass of lemonade and seemed very relaxed. She wore a bikini that was very expensive.

Amy was being watched. She turned her head and saw something peeking in on her, she stood up slowly, squinted her eyes, and began to back away. The creature stood up, to its full height. Its head looked like a snake, its body was furry, and had two legs, it had claws that hung down. Amy’s eyes got big, and she tried to run. The creature whipped into action and grabbed her leg with its mouth, ripping it off. She hit the ground with a thud and grabbed a nearby branch. She could smell the iron in her blood. She pushed on the thing and its fur got tangled in her fingers. She bit it and it tasted like garbage that was a week old. It screamed in her face, sending her into shock. Blood fell out on the ground, and she screamed and cried as she saw the creature bite down on the leg, she froze with fear. She held her arms out blocking her face, and the creature clamped down on her arm making a terrible noise of her bones being crushed. She screamed even louder. She new she was gonna die, and she wished it would just be over. She was being tortured. As the thing made her roll around on the ground while it tore at her flesh she tasted dirt and her own tears.

Amy’s mom heard blood curdling screams from her daughter, and raced to the woods edge. When she got to it, everything was quiet, the screaming stopped. She stepped into the woods, and came to the clearing, she called out for Amy louder and louder, but got no response. She started crying. She saw the fort and walked around it looking for signs of her daughter. Blood was stained on a log near the fort, and more blood trailed off into the woods. She was hysteric now, but didn’t dare follow the trail. She ran out of the woods, and heard a loud howl from behind her. She got in her house and locked the door. She called 911 and her husband.


The police searched the woods, and Amy’s mother sobbed in the arms of her husband. The day was getting shorter. They were running out of daylight. As the police came back in the house, Amy’s mother stood up. “Well? Did you find her? What happened? Where is-“
“Ma’am, we didn’t find her. I’m sorry. Is there anything you need? I know this must be hard for you.”
“No, well, isn’t there something you can do to find her? I mean we’ll pay you anything! We just want our daughter back.” Amy’s father said sternly. He was a very tall man. He owned a business which made their family very wealthy. He was always clean and had his black hair slicked back. He wore ties and nice dress shirts with black pants.
“Sir, I’m sorry. There’s nothing else we can do. We’ll let ourselves out. If you need anything else you can call.” The cops let themselves out. Katrina rolled her eyes, through her tears.


“Walter, we need to find her. We need to go look ourselves. We need-“
“Katrina, no. I can’t risk losing you too.” Walter said.
“I can’t live here anymore. We need to move, because I can’t live around these woods that killed our daughter.” Katrina began to cry again, and her head flopped back and forth. Walter grabbed her shoulders, and looked in her eyes.
“Hun, this house took forever for us to build. Cost us a fortune! I mean we cant just up and move.”
“Do you care at all that our little girl is dead? Do you have any emotions at all?” Katrina scolded. She got up and went to their bedroom, slamming the door. Martha appeared around the corner, eyes watery and a tissue balled up in her hand.
“Can I get you something Walter?”
“No, I’m just worried that my wife will try to go look for her, and be killed.”
“I’m sure she wouldn’t. Excuse me, sir. I’m sorry.” Martha blew her nose in the tissue, as tears streamed down her checks. She turned and walked out of the room, her head hung low.
Walter sat alone to think. He wondered what caused this. He was mad, but couldn’t cry. He was a strong man, a business owner. He cared more about his money at times than his family. It showed. His wife, Katrina often got mad at him for it. He wondered if he should put money forth to find their daughter.



The next morning came. Walter woke up on the couch with a booming headache. He rubbed his head as he called for Martha. He got up and walked into the kitchen. Martha didn’t come. He tilted his head and listened for sounds. None. He was confused. Usually his wife was up, making coffee, and Martha stirred about singing to herself. He walked into his and Katrina’s bedroom. She wasn’t there. He began to worry and feared she went into the woods. He called her cell phone, and there was no answer. Martha ran down the stairs.
“Sir, sir! I can’t find Katrina! I’ve looked everywhere and-“
“She went into the woods.” Walter said looking out the window. “She didn’t listen to me.” He began to get a crazed look on his face. He started to twitch.
“If she would have listened to me, she wouldn’t be gone. If she wasn’t hysteric she wouldn’t be gone. If she was smart she would be here. But she isn’t. She never has been. The only thing that woman cared about was Amy and her own damn fashion.” He mocked.
“Umm sir? Maybe she went out?”
Walter shot Martha a look of disgust. “Get out of my house.”
Martha was so upset, she didn’t believe what she was hearing. She didn’t have a place to go and she didn’t know what was happening. She looked at Walter questioning him. “Walter? I have nowhere else to go. You are my family. Are you alright?”
“Martha, if you are not out of my house in the next ten seconds, I will shoot you myself. I want to be left alone!”
Martha began to sob. This was so unlike Walter. She had no idea what to do or say. She turned and walked out of the big house.

The warm morning air made her at ease. But she stopped when she heard a gunshot from inside the house. She slowly turned and swallowed as she made the decision to go back in. Walter had gone insane! She peeked through the windows and saw nothing. She opened the door and walked in. Ten O’clock in the morning was what the clock read. She wandered into the kitchen where she saw Walters body limp and motionless on the floor. She held her hands to her mouth and began to cry. Her eyes were squeezed shut. She had just lost the last member of her family. She loved them all so dearly and was so confused why everything went down the drain so fast. She decided that she had no reason to live without them.

Martha felt the freshly dewed grass between her toes as she slowly walked to the woods edge. She took a deep breathe and walked into the woods. She got deeper in and heard alarming noises. Breathing, panting, twigs snapping, a small tree fell in the distance but she couldn’t see anything. Whatever it was it moved to fast. She began to get scared and realized she had made a horrible decision. Her heart was beating so fast. Why was Amy fine for so long? Why yesterday? What is this creature? She turned and tried to run out of the woods but as she reached the edge the snake like creature once again leaped into action and devoured her. Screams echoed through the forest. The lonely house stood alone, with many secrets that could go unsolved.

One note remained on the table, In Martha’s blood.


The author's comments:
I wrote this because I like scary stories, that keep you hanging. Also, I think it's a good story to read.