Vent Girl | Teen Ink

Vent Girl

By Alex West BRONZE, Rosemount, Minnesota
Alex West BRONZE, Rosemount, Minnesota

I'm not saying I'm anyone special. No, that would be wrong. I'm not saying I'm better than you, or higher than you, or that I'm connected with God or anything. It's just... I guess I know what I'm supposed to do.

I'm supposed to help.

People all over have these horrible problems, you see. They feel like they can't reach out to anyone and that they're alone on this earth, left to wallow in their sorrows. They cry, and moan and do stupid, irrational things because they don't know what else to do. They need a vent I guess.

That's where I come in.

Here comes Vent Girl! She soars to the rescue of the weak and needy! She lifts them up and puts them on the right path! She's a wonder woman! She's incredible, she's amazing, she's... she's... she's alone too.

That's me I guess. The silent brooding hero of the teen world. I come to people in crisis. Maybe their parents hit them, or they cut, or they just lost someone. You can bet that no matter who or where they are, I'll be there. Everyone trusts me, and everyone loves me. If that's the case, why am I the one who ends up feeling alone at the end?

You see, people carry around their hearts on a string around their neck. Things get attached to it as they go along the path of life. Sorrows, loves, experiences and people are slowly stuck onto their hearts one by one. Eventually, they get to heavy, and these people become weighted down by their own hearts. They start looking for someone to take it from them so they can start fresh with a brand-new heart.

Again, that's where I come in.

Here comes Vent Girl, soaring through the skies! She drops down next to you and says in her famously calming voice, "What's bothering you?" You thrust your heavy heart upon her, telling her everything you know. She smiles, takes it around her own neck and says, "Carry on." She flies away again, and you walk off feeling much better, don't you? You don't notice all the other hearts she's carrying. You don't notice how tired her smile is and how sad her eyes are. You don't have to. You're happy now, and that's all that matters to her.

So now I walk around, carrying these hearts around my neck. There are so many of them, and some of them are old and forgotten. They all have weight, and they all bring me lower and lower to the ground. Sometimes, something happens, and I'm able to take their heart off and toss it aside. But it's one from a thousand, and the difference is next to nothing.

I'm Vent Girl. You may not always remember me, but I carry your heart. I'm a super-hero. I'm on a mission. I'm one girl trying to save the world from itself.

So then, who's going to save me?

I know a lot of people are like this, and I'm just one of many. After getting a frantic call from a friend about how her mother was beating her, I decided to write this. I dedicate it to all the Vent Girls and Vent Boys out there who aren't getting recognized for the noble deeds they do.