My Discovery | Teen Ink

My Discovery

September 28, 2012
By AurrieT SILVER, Tifton, Georgia
AurrieT SILVER, Tifton, Georgia
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

When I awoke sleepily this morning, I discovered that I had a grown a pair of wings where my shoulder blades had been! I was flabbergasted by the sight of them and I immediately thought that it was all just a dream and that none of it was real. So to make sure that I really was dreaming, I pinched my right arm, hoping I wouldn’t be able to feel it. Deep down I knew that it wasn’t a dream, but I figured it wouldn’t hurt to have a little bit of hope that I was. However, in pure disappointment, I was able to feel the pinch I’d given my arm.

The realization of what I just discovered hit me like a ton of bricks. I now have wings in replace of my shoulder blades, and my life will never be the same again. Not only was I worried about that, but how my parents would react to the situation as well. I decided it would be in everyone’s best interest for me to be the only one who knew about my discovery, because if anyone else knew, they wouldn’t take it so well.

I faced many problems with my pair of wings like: how would I go to school with wings coming out of my back? How would I hide them and most importantly, how did I get them and what must I do to get rid of them? I had absolutely no solution to any of my problems at the time because I was still in a state of shock, but I did manage to figure out how to buy myself some time to search for solutions to my problems.

I managed to trick my parents into thinking I was severely sick, so I was allowed to stay home for five days. Both of my parents worked so I had the house to myself. The first day, I actually did feel sick because of my traumatizing discovery, so I decided to spend that day sleeping it off. However, the next day my parents went to work, I buckled down and racked my brain for details and any possible answers to how this happened to me. I thought I would never think of it, but eventually it came to me.

My friend and I were shopping in a store when I spotted the perfect pair of shoes that I couldn’t live without and to my luck, it was the last pair and it was my exact size! But I wasn’t the only one who spotted those shoes. There was another teenage girl, about my age, who spotted them as well, and from the look in her eyes, she wanted those shoes just as bad as I did but, because of my personality I absolutely couldn’t allow her to have them. So I sprinted towards the shoes and she did the same, but I got to them first and when I did, I arrogantly said, “Ha! They’re mine now!” Anger built up on her face and she immediately responded by speaking in a strange language that I’d never heard before. After she spoke in her weird language, in pure English she said, “I have placed a curse on you and until you learn your lesson, you will remained cursed,” When she finished speaking, a smirk appeared on her face and she turned to leave.

“Of course! Why didn’t I think of this sooner?” I said aloud to myself. I never thought curses were real, but i see now that they are. Now the only question left to answer is how do I get rid of these wings? I sat and pondered the question for a few minutes and came up with an answer that I knew was right. I had to go and find the girl that placed the curse on me and ask her to break it. There were a lot of problems that I would face with my plan to find her. For example, what’s her name, where does she live, where should I start looking first? With these problems coming to surface, it seemed like I’d never be able to rid these wings upon my back, but I was determined to get back my old, normal life so, I decided to wait until the next morning to set my plan in motion and while I waited, I sat on my computer in search of any information that could be useful in finding that girl.

The next morning arrived, day three of the five days I was able to stay home from school. I knew my time was quickly running out so as soon as my parents left for work, I jumped out of bed and threw on some clothes, including a hoodie, to cover my wings. I didn’t find anything on the internet that could help me so I went to the only place I knew her from, the store where we had our encounterment.

I arrived at the store hoping that she would be there to reverse the curse. I searched and searched, but she was nowhere in sight. I came to a conclusion that I should ask around to see if anyone knew her, but because I knew not her name, I only had descriptions to go by. I asked some people and to my luck, they gave me the answers I needed. I learned that her name was Sarah and she lived close by the store, so I decided that I should pay her a visit.

I appeared at Sarah’s door in a matter of minutes. I knocked on the door and was given no answer. I tried again and I could hear shuffling on the other side. Seconds later, a small woman with grey hair and wrinkles from old age appeared in front of me. “Can I help you?” she asked in a rather fragile voice. “ Hi, I’m a friend of Sarah’s and was wondering if I could speak with her for a moment,” I replied. I chose not to her my name because if she were to tell Sarah I was here to speak to her, she’d refuse to talk with me. Minutes later, the girl who had the ability to turn my life back to normal was standing before me. “What are you doing here and how did you find me?” Sarah asked in a puzzled tone.
“Sarah, I’m sorry about the shoes at the store. Could you please relieve me of this curse you’ve placed upon me?” I said in a pleading voice.
“Why should I do that?” asked Sarah.
“You don’t understand what my life’s been like with this curse! I can’t even go to school because of these things, and have to hide from my parents constantly.” I stated.
“I’ll take away your curse only if you tell me how you’ve learned and grown from it” said Sarah.
“I haven’t…” my voice trailed off and I had a change in mind. “I have learned something. The lesson I’ve learned is that determination for something isn’t wrong, but show boating and bragging isn’t necessary when you get something you want. Not only did this experience cause me to learn but I’ve grown as well by becoming a better person and by being grateful for having a normal life.” I replied.
Sarah smiled and began to speak in the strange language she spoke when she cursed me.
“There. Your curse has been broken,” she said. She spoke the truth. I felt the wings on my back disappear and my shoulder blades return to their rightful place. “Thank you Sarah”, I said while wearing a gigantic smile on my face. I took off my hoodie and began to walk back home, thankful to be able to return back to my old life with a new mind set.


The author's comments:
This piece was something i wrote in Journalism Class.