The Show | Teen Ink

The Show

Chapter one

“What?” Oh no no no. “I’m moving? Why?” Mom looks at the o’clock on the wall checking the time.

“Listen baby, it is obvious that youstayng here aren’t working out perfectly for you. You are going to enjoy your new boarding school. They are perfect for you, Suzy.” I look at her for a moment. How could she do that to me? What did I ever do to her; I have prefect grades, I have a nice job at the ice cream shop, and most importantly I have my best memories in here. “Where am I going to go?” Trying so hard to keep my tears from falling.

“Monster Boarding School in Montana.”

“Are you coming with me?”

“No. But Jesse is coming to pick you up any minute now, so you get ready.”

“What?” getting annoyed,” You’re not even giving me sometime to pack and say my good-byes?”

“Already done. So you are ready to go.” She stands up from her chair.”Jesse's on his way.”

I clean the breakfast table and go straight to my room which was empty. My favorite shirt and skirt are on the bed, flip-flops on the floor. My suitcases out and packed. Wow, mom is so ready for this. I hate her for that. But I really suck on saying no to her so I know I’m going to end up doing it anyway. Anyone but mom.

I change into the clothes she prepared for me, take my suitcase, which was super heavy, downstairs, and wait for Jesse.

Chapter two

Two hours later, Jesse comes in. He’s so tall, and cute, well, smart cute anyway. He’s like my mom’s pet, and I like him for that. Weird? Ha-ha I know. He talks to my mom privately for few minutes then walks to the kitchen, to where I was standing and watching from the window to the sight outside. I’m going to miss it. I just know it.

“Excited?” Jesse finally says after watching me for few minutes.

“Not really.”

“Oh, you’re going to like it. Trust me; it is great kind of change.”

“How long did she plan this for?”

“Even you’re roommate is excited to see you. I think.” He says ignoring my question. He laughs.

I don’t enjoin.

Mom walks in, “Less chatty chat more work, please.”

Jesse does his work and the next thing I know, we’re in a road trip to Montana.

“How long is this going to take us?” I ask, whileshifting in the car seat to a more relaxing position. I lean back and close my eyes, hoping this wasn’t true, even thought I know it was.

“Seventeen to sixteen hours, depending on the stops for gas and toilet.”

I fall asleep shortly after that.

Chapter three

“Suzanna, Suzanna.” I shift. “Wake up, young lady!”

I open my eyes to the sight of Jesse holding an espresso. “What’s going on?’ I ask.

“We’re here. Welcome to Montana baby!” I can’t help but laugh. Jesse gets out of the car to go to the breakfast café, I follow.

“I’m so hungry.” I say.

“No wonder. You slept the whole trip; of course you would be hungry. I bet you need the restroom too.”

“Did mom send money too?”

“Yes, it’s all on your dept card. But this is my treat. What would you like?”

“My usual?”

“Of course.” He looks at the lady behind the counter. “Can I have sausage sandwich with one blueberry muffin and caramel latte with three sugar cubes, please?”

“Yes, sir. Is that all?” the lady asks.

“Yep. Thank you.” He looks at me, “Did I do well?”

“Perfect!” I say, turning to find a seat by the window. I sit and Jesse follows.

“How far are we from my new school?”

“Twenty minute.”

I look out of the window.

“It’s going to be fine, Suzy.”

“I hope so, Jess!”

The lady comes with the food, puts it and leaves.

I pick my sandwich and say, “I really do.”