Across The Universe | Teen Ink

Across The Universe

By ohnastassia BRONZE, Paranaque City, Other
ohnastassia BRONZE, Paranaque City, Other

"I want to go on living even after my death!" - Anne Frank

The afternoon light poured an illusion of happiness in the striped walls of oceanic waves and white. An outsider looked over the constellations which bounded him from ever walking upon the earth’s grounds, wherein rocks rested humbly in the warmth of the soil’s embrace.

There was neither day nor night for this faceless man. The mundaneness of his life had left him pondering every day as he looked upon the girl’s window, watching life unfold with fascination and deep jealousy. As the sun’s eyes were slowly being pulled down by sleep, it reached with its blinding rays for a blanket that darkened the world.

And the faceless man would always sit for a while and be baffled at the coldness that wrapped itself around him as the sun went to rest, and so he would open millions of little bright lights that twinkle and turn on his grand chandelier. The chandelier was a round and beautiful mass of diamond, a paragon of perfection. It was deeply cared for by the faceless man, and he took pride in his possession that he shared with earth to give light once more.

The chandelier was named moon, and the little twinkling lights were named stars.

It gave comfort to the girl who was always seated at the panes of her window, who is always gazing upon the beautiful night and pondering in fascination and deep jealousy. She likes to make herself believe that when her coal irises reach the heavens, she catches the gaze of a stranger.

She doesn’t know that with the intensity of her eyes of coal, she made a faceless man fall in love with the soul that danced deep within her two dark orbs. And so it continued for years, the unknown affair of the faceless man and the girl. Time strode with his head held high, knowing the magnificence of his power. It stomped over the life of the girl and left her panting and bruised as she tried to catch up.

As the music of her time screamed for her to live the moment of every day, she relented and the beauty of the night slipped from her mind. The faceless man could not do anything as he sat, immobilized with the horror of reality crashing down on him. He cried and wept as he watched from afar; it did not help that time was mocking him with the slowness of its pace. The interminable months were an ongoing suffering that he couldn’t take.

His ceaseless tears of sorrow dropped down on earth, splattering on the girl’s rooftop. It drizzled softly and his pleas were like a lullaby to the girl’s unknowing ears. One star took pity on his warm-hearted master and decided to make a sacrifice. She was the star that no one really took notice of, for she does not shine as bright as all of the other stars. His master once warned them to never go near the earth, for the power of the core’s gravity would pull them down and never could they go back.

So the star let go of the string that held her up and she fell, fell, fell… the look of horror in the other stars’ faces flashed before the tiniest star, but she continued to let herself go, and down she went. The coldness of the universe suffocated the star, and as she fell downwards she felt the tugging of the core’s hands. The pull of gravity was so strong and fear consumed her, but she thought of her master and with her last breath, screamed a message to the wind.

And the wind felt the profundity of the faceless man’s love, so he traveled miles that could rival the speed of light. His determination to reach his destination had him losing his grip as he drove himself to her, edged by the urgency of the message. He lost control and bumped into a tree, which rattled angrily and scratched the glass of the girl’s window.

The girl was pacing back and forth at the moment, the noises of modern technology pressed up against her right ear as the yakking of mindless conversations rode on and on, but the sudden harsh scratch of the branch of the tree had startled her as she whipped her gaze alarmingly towards her window.

And at that exact moment, she saw the star fall.

The sight before her had filled her with a deep melancholy and a sense of nostalgia, and she recognized the poignant beauty of the night once more. For some odd reason, she felt the need to just sit and gaze at the heavens, and so she bid the other person goodbye, sat down at the pane wherein she usually sat years before, and opened her eyes once again to the faceless man, whom was crying with tears of sadness and loss, and of happiness for the return of his love.