The Dead Truth

By , Park City, UT
“Their dead,” he says to me in a hollow, broken voice. I know it pains him, but I don’t see the point. Killing, murdering, massacring, its not our job, it’s our purpose. That’s what we deserve for being curious.

Before all this, I was a girl named Lily and he was a boy, named Sam. We were twins. Our purpose began when we had seen an article on the internet and clicked on it. The title of it had been ‘The Dead Truth’, it seemed interesting enough at the time. The article began with a person speaking, but once we reached the end, the person speaking changed from a stranger to me.

“I want to be Sam again,” he cries. I can almost see his heart, so fractured with grief and pain. “I want to escape.”

“You shall be Sam once more,” I pacify, “I’ve found someone to plant the article. Some one shall read it and we will escape.”

“No! I don’t want any one to be forced to take our place! It’s bad enough knowing that we brought this down on ourselves, but knowing that we forced it on others? I can’t bear the mention of it!”

“It’s the only way!” I snap, for this whole time I’ve managed to control my emotions and appear calm and uncaring, but now, with escape at my fingertips, I break, “Do you think I don’t miss being Lily? Do you think I don’t miss my friends? The people who died in that plane crash-the people who you killed were Savannah’s parents! I want to be there to comfort my friend! To be by her side! I want to go back to the girl I was! To Lily! Julia, Anna and Sophie think we were kidnapped! Alex and Riley believe us to be dead already!” Sam is now staring at me with round eyes. His whole complexion is already disfigured with tears and shock.

“Sam, I won’t wait for a second person to read the article, I won’t wait for that, even we can leave together, unless you allow me to take the people who are already reading the article. You can stay here forever if you must, you can stay and kill the people who’s time is at an end because they’ve done what they needed to do. You can stay here forever and never return to Sam! You can stay here and kill people with the snap of you fingers! You can stay here and plan out specific deaths! You can-”

“I understand.” He says. He hangs his head, “I do want escape, I really do, I just...I just....I don’t know.”

“So, you’ll let me take the people who are reading this?”

With a quivering but affirmative voice, Sam agrees.

So, reader, do you understand why your reading this now? Do you know the truth? You’ve been selected by me to take my place. You shall come to where I am now. You will see the people whose lives are ready to end, you shall decide how they’ll end their lives. Don’t worry, you’ll find someone to plant the article, and you won’t have to live on like how I’m living now, being forced to end peoples lives, but you’ll have to do it at least once. So, go on, go up there and decide how people will die, if you don’t decide, the second person shall. There must always be two. Oh, and take caution, for if you kill someone who’s time isn’t at it’s end, you shall die the way you designed them to die.

Go on, and please, don’t make me die painfully.

Eliahumandoglover said...
Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:11 am

Awesome. Do they have to be like the grim reaper or something? 

I love how its almost interactive: how the reader is the one reading the article!

whiterose said...
This is really good, and you're right it is scary.  I'm not a person who can be scared easily, by some things, and these gave me chills.  Keep writing.