Difference Isn't an Issue | Teen Ink

Difference Isn't an Issue

By thereal1 BRONZE, Lexington, South Carolina
thereal1 BRONZE, Lexington, South Carolina

I awoke to the acrid smell of metal and the bright lights beaming down on my pale skin. I soon realized that I could not move my body. I was in complete paralysis and became frightened. My body seemed to be dead. When my heavy eyes opened a bit more; I noticed that I was strapped to a seat of some sort. It was very cold. A single tear ran down my cheek as my confused mind tried to grasp the reality of the situation. I was wondering where I was and how I got there. No answers would come to me in the seconds before I lost consciousness. The next time I opened my eyes, the feeling to my body and extremities had returned and I found myself face to face with another being. Not animal. Not human. I wasn’t really sure of what this thing was. It made no sounds, but communicated through the looks that left their deep, powerful eyes. I could feel its confusion. I could feel how it felt. It was scared and hurt. It needed my help to understand the surroundings. I felt it cry as I touched the hand that once frightened me. When I observed the emotion; I was shocked. It dropped its sorrowful eyes to the floor and I understood. It wasn’t a stranger. It wasn’t harmful. It was different. Being different is not something that should be discriminated against. It should be welcomed and embraced for its entirety. I offered my hand as a guide. A simple stepping stone to the path it wanted to follow. When I placed my hand on the hand of my new companion; I knew that I had helped. I felt the happiness. The sorrow and confusion had lifted and revealed the gratefulness in its heart. I smiled as, what looked like a tear, fell from its face.

When I saw the topic of fiction; I immediately got the idea to write about an abduction. It has always sparked my curiosity. Just thinking about what it would actually be like and what kinds of attitudes would be brought forth from the beings you may or may not encounter. It's very intriguing.