The Clocks | Teen Ink

The Clocks

December 4, 2011
By almost.allyson BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia
almost.allyson BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia
1 article 7 photos 0 comments

Time stopped today.
No, no, I saw it. It most definitely stopped. All those clocks, yes, they flickered. They did.
And, and, well it felt longer. Time, that is. It felt continuous, but without the continuing part.
And that clock flickered. The one attached to the ceiling with the big red numbers. It’s always behind, but it keeps. It never stops. It was designed not to stop. Digital doesn’t stop. It can’t stop. And time doesn’t either.
No, no, I’m sure of that.
Because, while time did stop today, it most certainly shouldn’t have. It should have kept.
Because, well, isn’t that why they made clocks? To keep time going? To measure it and calculate it and force it into running?
They made them so we didn’t have to watch time anymore. So we didn’t have to make sure it was still going. We just knew, then. And that’s why this shouldn’t have happened.
Because they made these things and told us time doesn’t stop, just watch, and then these things happened anyway. No, no, the clocks never stop, they said. No, it just keeps ticking and tocking on and on and on, forever and ever, until we cease to exist and even after that.
But that clock.
That clock flickered.

The author's comments:
A story that showcases the progressive mental decline of a teenage girl that is beginning to have hallucinations.