Imperial Fantasy | Teen Ink

Imperial Fantasy

By ToraToriTora PLATINUM, Gilbert, Arizona
ToraToriTora PLATINUM, Gilbert, Arizona

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”
-Albert Einstein

Running through the bushes, Lijep dashed north towards the large stone fortress looming over the treetops. Rain and wind slapped his face, and his red wizard robes whipped around his legs. As he neared the end of the trees, he stopped to catch his breath. His hand subconsciously touched the glimmering black rod on his belt. Guards patrolled the edges of the castle, and two stood at every entrance. Lijep cursed under his breath. He turned and fled away from the castle and towards the librarian's. Gasping for breath, he pounded upon the battered old door. The librarian descended the stairs holding a candle. The small flame cast deep shadows everywhere. "Knjige! I need help!" Lijep yelled. "What are you doing, Lijep?!" gasped the librarian shockingly. "I need to get inside the castle!" The librarian, an old friend of Lijep's, reached inside his nightgown and pulled out a key. "Look behind the gargoyle in the east wing." “Thank you!” Lijep took it. At the gargoyle, he pulled out the black rod and it grew several times its size. "Plovak!" Colored light swirled around the staff, and the gargoyle lifted up and landed several feet away with a low thud. A small keyhole was barely visible in the stone. Sliding in the key, Lijep heard a click. The wall seemed to be pushed back by an invisible hand, and a small tunnel lay ahead. Lijep crawled into the hole and scrambled as fast as he could through tunnels and passageways. Eventually, Lijep found a hole. He climbed up and into the small tunnel beyond. Candlelight trickled through a metal grate above. He pushed his face closer to the metal grate, cautious to keep out of sight. He saw a guard with a set of keys walk back and forth. The dungeon! Lijep burst out of the tunnel, drew a knife and slew the guard as a few prisoners began to yell and draw attention. He ran up and up and up endless staircases and slew a couple guards until at last he reached the highest tower. The door to the only room was locked. Lijep pulled out his staff. "Otvoreno!" The door cracked in half and the lock shattered. Lijep kicked away the damaged wood. A fair maiden sat upon a bed, a cloth veil on her head and a silky white dress clothing her body. "Lijep!" She exclaimed. She ran to him and as he took her into his arms, they could hear footsteps and yelling. "Come Iskra, we must escape!" Lijep pulled the princess to the window. "But how?! Where are we going, my love?!" Lijep simply kissed her on the forehead, opened the window, and picked her up. As he stepped onto the windowsill, men with swords burst into the room. They jumped. As they fell into the rain, a large, magical dog caught them on its back. Lijep looked into the princess’s eyes framed by her blue hair, as they realized they were now free to love.

I had to write this in 500 words or less as a challenge. Yay. I'll post an extended version later, where it will probably flow better.

ToraToriTora PLATINUM, Gilbert, Arizona

-Albert Einstein

Thanks! I'm going to try that now, actually. I'm not sure how long it will be or how long it will take, but I'll get it done!

readaholic PLATINUM, Tomahawk, Wisconsin

I'd rather fail because I fell on my own face than fall because someone tripped me up
~Jhonen Vasquez

This is very good.  Yes, it would be better longer, it has lots of potential, but considering you meant to make it short and sweet, it's very good!  I would really like to read the extended version when you write it!