Characters

Have you ever wondered why your perfect plans are shattered? Why a seemingly perfect romance ended? Why good luck strikes at strange times? Why life seems like a bunch of meaningless chaos?

There is a very simple answer to all of these questions. We were created by an ancient race of aliens and are nothing but characters in their stories, created to alleviate their boredom.

As soon as they are old enough to write, they are given a computer software program and a manual with only the most basic rules of their writing universe. In order to create a new character, they must collaborate with other aliens to make sure two human parents give birth to a child. This child will be under their control from the moment it is born until the moment it dies.

You are always subject to the whims of your creator. Everything you say, everything you do is controlled by them. Usually, the aliens have jotted down things they want to happen during your lifetime. But some aliens detest this and make random decisions as to where your life will go. This is where chaos comes from.

Our planet is relatively new, but the aliens have become bored with it. The best writers among them have declared that the Earth is a cliché, boring universe. They have decided they want to write in a new, more exciting world, so they have taken a special vote. It was this vote that decided how our world will end.

“Why don’t we let a black hole swallow their planet?”

“Nah, we’ve done that already.”

“What if the Earth spontaneously combusts?”

“That’s way too cliché!”

“Okay, why don’t we knock their planet out of orbit and send it crashing into the sun?”

“That’s a stupid idea.”

“Fine. How about we give all their world leaders bad cases of paranoia and see what happens?”

“Sure. Why not?”

And so, our world will not end with a bang, but with slow decay. Our increasingly paranoid world leaders will declare war on each other and humanity will slowly die out. But, since the aliens lost all interest in us, we have gained something we never had before: free will. It is now up to us to decide our fates—and the fate of our planet.

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 20, 2011 at 1:45 pm:
Right, I read this in the forums! :) I really like this article; it's kind of funny to think of aliens doing this 'job'. Anyway, it's amazing :)

Emma-Riley replied...
Aug. 2, 2011 at 8:04 pm :
wow thats really interesting. i like the idea uve got. its really good... i like it

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 2, 2011 at 8:05 pm :
Thank you! :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 2, 2011 at 8:07 pm :

born2bewriting: Sorry, I just noticed your comment!  Anyway, until I started writing for Teen Ink, I wasn't big on writing comedy.  But I guess my true style has come out.

And no, I don't think this is going anywhere.  It's just a random short story I decided to write for the heck of it.

writeamongthestars said...
Jul. 20, 2011 at 12:30 pm:
Nice! The second paragraph totally caught me off guard. Oh, and the voting part was great. The only thing is you called Earth a boring 'universe' and if that's what you meant to say I didn't quite get it. If that's not what you meant to say then you should probably fix that. Still, it's a great article. :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 20, 2011 at 1:15 pm :

I meant the universe earth is in.  It's sort of a parallel universe to the aliens'.

Thanks for the feedback!

DarkenRose said...
Jul. 20, 2011 at 10:19 am:
Wow...that was so amazing! I really like this,great job:)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 20, 2011 at 1:16 pm :
Thank you!  I'm glad you like it. :)

Ha-5-rika said...
Jul. 19, 2011 at 7:48 pm:
And it would be great if you give me some feedback on my first entry too. It is a chapter of a novel, The haunts of Love. I would really appreciate your help. Thank you in advance.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 19, 2011 at 7:49 pm :
Of course I'll give you some feedback.  Thanks for commenting!

Ha-5-rika said...
Jul. 19, 2011 at 7:46 pm:
Oh my God! Its an absolutely absurd but amazing idea. Its really cool. And the last line is amazing. The fate of our planet is our hands now. Amazingly done.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 19, 2011 at 7:47 pm :
Thanks!  I really appreciate the feedback.  I'm glad you liked my story. :)