Characters

Have you ever wondered why your perfect plans are shattered? Why a seemingly perfect romance ended? Why good luck strikes at strange times? Why life seems like a bunch of meaningless chaos?

There is a very simple answer to all of these questions. We were created by an ancient race of aliens and are nothing but characters in their stories, created to alleviate their boredom.

As soon as they are old enough to write, they are given a computer software program and a manual with only the most basic rules of their writing universe. In order to create a new character, they must collaborate with other aliens to make sure two human parents give birth to a child. This child will be under their control from the moment it is born until the moment it dies.

You are always subject to the whims of your creator. Everything you say, everything you do is controlled by them. Usually, the aliens have jotted down things they want to happen during your lifetime. But some aliens detest this and make random decisions as to where your life will go. This is where chaos comes from.

Our planet is relatively new, but the aliens have become bored with it. The best writers among them have declared that the Earth is a cliché, boring universe. They have decided they want to write in a new, more exciting world, so they have taken a special vote. It was this vote that decided how our world will end.

“Why don’t we let a black hole swallow their planet?”

“Nah, we’ve done that already.”

“What if the Earth spontaneously combusts?”

“That’s way too cliché!”

“Okay, why don’t we knock their planet out of orbit and send it crashing into the sun?”

“That’s a stupid idea.”

“Fine. How about we give all their world leaders bad cases of paranoia and see what happens?”

“Sure. Why not?”

And so, our world will not end with a bang, but with slow decay. Our increasingly paranoid world leaders will declare war on each other and humanity will slowly die out. But, since the aliens lost all interest in us, we have gained something we never had before: free will. It is now up to us to decide our fates—and the fate of our planet.

JustAnotherOwl said...
Jul. 22, 2011 at 5:15 pm:
This was really great. It's actually very funny...Especially when they're trying to decide how to end the world. :) Anyway...I'm favoriting this.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 26, 2011 at 7:11 pm :
I'm actually working on something right now.  Look for it in the next few days/weeks.

.Izzy. said...
Jul. 22, 2011 at 4:11 pm:
Very unique! My favorite part was when the aliens were deciding how to end the world. Very interesting. 5 stars.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 22, 2011 at 6:36 pm :
Thanks for commenting! :)  I'm glad you liked it.

AgnotTheOdd said...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 9:41 pm:

Words cannot describe the enormity of the smile that this article gave me.

Normally I'd quibble with the opening paragraph, as I don't like starting out with questions, but with this, it didn't bother me.  It was delightfully light hearted and...I'm really at a loss for words.

Probably the best thing I've read on teenink

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 9:43 pm :

Wow!  Thanks!  I'm really glad you enjoyed it.

You said it was "delightfully light hearted" and what?  Have your words come back to you yet? ;)

AgnotTheOdd replied...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 9:50 pm :
and clever?  I don't know.  It's not like words can adequately describe it :P

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 9:56 pm :
Thanks so much! :)  That's a huge compliment.

AgnotTheOdd replied...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 9:58 pm :
Well you're certainly welcome

xelawriter97This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 7:30 pm:
This was a very creative idea... I loved it!!! great job! :-)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 7:48 pm :
Thank you! :)

Healing_Angel This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 4:45 am:
It's not really my style, but I like it. It's a good piece of writing. Keep it up! :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 9:21 am :
Thanks for commenting! :)

sophietle This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 20, 2011 at 11:12 pm:

I like the wry premise of the story, and the inclusion of writers bouncing ideas off of each other (all too familiar!) The only thing I think you could work on is the beginning, which sticks out as overly simplistic, like a kid's research paper, and it doesn't match the elegant control of the rest of the piece. 

Also, I would be interested in learning what kind of "new, more exciting world" the aliens decide to create. 

That's just what I think. Great job!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 20, 2011 at 11:20 pm :

Thanks for the feedback!  I'll definitely take your advice on the beginning.

Maybe in the future I'll write a sequel.  It depends how many people ask me, I guess.

Arco_Sine said...
Jul. 20, 2011 at 10:06 pm:
I like how you give good reason for the protagonists of the story to have a chance to change their fate. What I think would be great, is if you come up with a unique designs for the aliens and explore the world they live in as well.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 20, 2011 at 10:09 pm :
Thanks for the idea!  I very well might do that in the future. :)

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 20, 2011 at 1:45 pm:
Right, I read this in the forums! :) I really like this article; it's kind of funny to think of aliens doing this 'job'. Anyway, it's amazing :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 20, 2011 at 7:25 pm :
Thanks for commenting! :)

born2bewriting replied...
Jul. 31, 2011 at 1:27 pm :
okay this is the second article of yours im commenting on and i have to ask: are you a fan of comedy? this really made me laugh. i would say, if you were going to go on further with this storyline, (im not sure if you are, but IF) i would take a moment to slow down your speed of writing. if it's just for fun, like a one-time thing, don't worry about it. but whenever i read things like fan fiction or short stories, the writers tend to skim over detail and just burn through the plot. anyway, for a... (more »)

born2bewriting replied...
Jul. 31, 2011 at 1:29 pm :
oops i meant to make a new comment....oh well