Characters

Have you ever wondered why your perfect plans are shattered? Why a seemingly perfect romance ended? Why good luck strikes at strange times? Why life seems like a bunch of meaningless chaos?

There is a very simple answer to all of these questions. We were created by an ancient race of aliens and are nothing but characters in their stories, created to alleviate their boredom.

As soon as they are old enough to write, they are given a computer software program and a manual with only the most basic rules of their writing universe. In order to create a new character, they must collaborate with other aliens to make sure two human parents give birth to a child. This child will be under their control from the moment it is born until the moment it dies.

You are always subject to the whims of your creator. Everything you say, everything you do is controlled by them. Usually, the aliens have jotted down things they want to happen during your lifetime. But some aliens detest this and make random decisions as to where your life will go. This is where chaos comes from.

Our planet is relatively new, but the aliens have become bored with it. The best writers among them have declared that the Earth is a cliché, boring universe. They have decided they want to write in a new, more exciting world, so they have taken a special vote. It was this vote that decided how our world will end.

“Why don’t we let a black hole swallow their planet?”

“Nah, we’ve done that already.”

“What if the Earth spontaneously combusts?”

“That’s way too cliché!”

“Okay, why don’t we knock their planet out of orbit and send it crashing into the sun?”

“That’s a stupid idea.”

“Fine. How about we give all their world leaders bad cases of paranoia and see what happens?”

“Sure. Why not?”

And so, our world will not end with a bang, but with slow decay. Our increasingly paranoid world leaders will declare war on each other and humanity will slowly die out. But, since the aliens lost all interest in us, we have gained something we never had before: free will. It is now up to us to decide our fates—and the fate of our planet.

LadyJaneGrey This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 25, 2011 at 10:22 pm:
That was hilarious. I loved it! You conveyed the idea really well and in a funny, quirky way. I love the fact that the aliens are making me type this right now. They have no idea we're onto them! 

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 25, 2011 at 10:34 pm :
Of course they know we're on to them!  They made me write this story to warn all of you. ;)

PieGirl said...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 8:33 pm:
It was very interesting, I liked it! It had a very good balance of amusing playfulness and a bit a thoughfulness as well. :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 8:35 pm :
Thank you!  I was trying to write a story with a deep meaning, but humour to make it a bit lighter. :)

Hazel-daisy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 5:03 pm:
I love it! i think its really interesting and funny! made me smile :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 5:05 pm :
Thanks!  I'm glad you like it. :)

MorenSore replied...
Aug. 14, 2011 at 9:53 am :
Oh so true, but I love how you were so creative with the cause.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 14, 2011 at 12:23 pm :
Thank you! :)

hanging_girl_666This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 4:14 pm:
" Sure, why not?" HAHAHA , dude amazing

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 4:22 pm :
Thanks!  :)

musicispassion said...
Jul. 23, 2011 at 11:41 pm:
it's also funny i agree with justanotherowl

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 23, 2011 at 11:48 pm :
How the aliens decide the world is going to end was my favourite part to write, by the way.  :)  Thanks for reading it!

musicispassion said...
Jul. 23, 2011 at 11:40 pm:
this is creepy but brilliant i love the random craziest ideas especially when they're turned into great pieces of work or art or music good job i'm glad to have read this

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 23, 2011 at 11:47 pm :
Thanks!  I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

DelictiousThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 22, 2011 at 6:34 pm:
I read this in the forum! It's really nice seeing the final  product! Great story, very funny and with great humor(: Good job!!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 22, 2011 at 6:37 pm :
Thanks so much for checking out the finished product!  I really appreciate it. :)

JustAnotherOwl said...
Jul. 22, 2011 at 5:15 pm:
This was really great. It's actually very funny...Especially when they're trying to decide how to end the world. :) Anyway...I'm favoriting this.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 22, 2011 at 6:37 pm :
Wow!  Thanks, Brielle!  I'm glad you liked my story.

JustAnotherOwl replied...
Jul. 26, 2011 at 5:09 pm :
I really did like it! You should post more fiction; you're good at it!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 26, 2011 at 7:11 pm :
I'm actually working on something right now.  Look for it in the next few days/weeks.