Characters

By CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Have you ever wondered why your perfect plans are shattered? Why a seemingly perfect romance ended? Why good luck strikes at strange times? Why life seems like a bunch of meaningless chaos?

There is a very simple answer to all of these questions. We were created by an ancient race of aliens and are nothing but characters in their stories, created to alleviate their boredom.

As soon as they are old enough to write, they are given a computer software program and a manual with only the most basic rules of their writing universe. In order to create a new character, they must collaborate with other aliens to make sure two human parents give birth to a child. This child will be under their control from the moment it is born until the moment it dies.

You are always subject to the whims of your creator. Everything you say, everything you do is controlled by them. Usually, the aliens have jotted down things they want to happen during your lifetime. But some aliens detest this and make random decisions as to where your life will go. This is where chaos comes from.

Our planet is relatively new, but the aliens have become bored with it. The best writers among them have declared that the Earth is a cliché, boring universe. They have decided they want to write in a new, more exciting world, so they have taken a special vote. It was this vote that decided how our world will end.

“Why don’t we let a black hole swallow their planet?”

“Nah, we’ve done that already.”

“What if the Earth spontaneously combusts?”

“That’s way too cliché!”

“Okay, why don’t we knock their planet out of orbit and send it crashing into the sun?”

“That’s a stupid idea.”

“Fine. How about we give all their world leaders bad cases of paranoia and see what happens?”

“Sure. Why not?”

And so, our world will not end with a bang, but with slow decay. Our increasingly paranoid world leaders will declare war on each other and humanity will slowly die out. But, since the aliens lost all interest in us, we have gained something we never had before: free will. It is now up to us to decide our fates—and the fate of our planet.

This was just a random idea that sprang into my head a few days ago. Feedback is greatly appreciated!

on Jul. 31 2011 at 1:29 pm
born2bewriting BRONZE, Webster, New York

"The sky's the limit!"

oops i meant to make a new comment....oh well

on Jul. 31 2011 at 1:27 pm

"The sky's the limit!"

okay this is the second article of yours im commenting on and i have to ask: are you a fan of comedy? this really made me laugh. i would say, if you were going to go on further with this storyline, (im not sure if you are, but IF) i would take a moment to slow down your speed of writing. if it's just for fun, like a one-time thing, don't worry about it. but whenever i read things like fan fiction or short stories, the writers tend to skim over detail and just burn through the plot. anyway, for a one-time thing, great work :) and congrats on your entry :)

Saysh PLATINUM said...
on Jul. 31 2011 at 1:13 am
Saysh PLATINUM, Brentwood, California

"Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia." ~E.L. Doctorow

This was great! It reminded me sort of Under The Dome by Stephen King. (great book by the way) It was funny, but also kind of scary, because it's totally something people could be super paranoid over. good work!

on Jul. 29 2011 at 12:37 am
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you!  I don't believe the crap I wrote, though; all our decisions are our own.  Except when you need an excuse.  That's when you blame the aliens. ;)

on Jul. 29 2011 at 12:06 am
eram1029 BRONZE, Hialeah, Florida
1 article 1 photo 15 comments

Human potential only goes as far as it is challenged.

i loved it, very interesting, kinda also puts the world in perspective. Technical: no grammatical errors, perfectly written Very creative :) it reminds me of a question I always ask myself, how much of our lives is determined by fate, and how much is determined by our own decisions..

on Jul. 28 2011 at 8:43 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you!  I was inspired by complete boredom at work to write this. :)

on Jul. 28 2011 at 8:43 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Aw, thanks!  :)

on Jul. 28 2011 at 6:41 pm
DaylightDarkness SILVER, Littleton, Colorado

Everyone's crazy. You know why? We all want to be normal. Well, we cant define normal, and, the people you can point at and say, well isn't he/she normal are rare. Doesnt that kind of defeat the pupose of normal? -My Friend

This is incredibly creative. Wow... Really wow. This is a sweet idea.

on Jul. 28 2011 at 9:05 am
VioletRoyal BRONZE, Lebanon, Indiana

"To be great takes time." - NK

This is awesome!  I love the idea of how aliens are doing this to us! Lol. You are an amazing writer, let me tell you that!

on Jul. 27 2011 at 1:28 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you!  I aim to shock and surprise. ;)

on Jul. 27 2011 at 1:26 pm
sweetly_broken GOLD, Garner, North Carolina

We never know how big we are until we are asked to rise.

I really like this! It went a totally different direction than what I was expecting, but great work!

on Jul. 27 2011 at 12:32 am
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you!  I'm glad you liked it. :)

on Jul. 27 2011 at 12:30 am
NinjaGirl BRONZE, Valley City, North Dakota

The only thing holding us back in life is our desire to stay where we are and not venture further.
~Some random person on the Internet :P

A very interesting idea! It flows well and isn't long enough to bore the reader. I especialy like the ending line; it ties the whole thing together. Five stars :)

on Jul. 26 2011 at 11:27 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

No, it's a story.  There's dialogue and it's all fiction, of course.  Or is it? ;)

on Jul. 26 2011 at 11:20 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you! :)

BalletGirl98 said...
on Jul. 26 2011 at 9:36 pm
BalletGirl98, Idabel, Oklahoma

The heart of the dance is the heart of the dancer.
~ Ghazallah al-Badriyyah

This was very interesting.

on Jul. 26 2011 at 8:29 pm
IAmWhoIWantToBe PLATINUM, Manila, Other

‎"I’m learning how to drown out the constant noise that is such an inseparable part of my life. I don’t have to prove anything to anyone. I only have to follow my heart and concentrate on what I want to say to the world: I run my world." - Beyoncé

I like this but this doesn't seem like aa story to me. It looks more like an opinion. Great article though... :)

on Jul. 26 2011 at 7:11 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

I'm actually working on something right now.  Look for it in the next few days/weeks.

on Jul. 26 2011 at 5:09 pm
JustAnotherOwl SILVER, Unknown, New York

"See, we don't really care who you are;
Everyone is capable of looking up and wishing on a star.
So catch it, so contagious, this day-dreamer's disease,
And hope can be your sword, slaying darkness with belief."

"Sanctuary"- Paradise Fears

I really did like it! You should post more fiction; you're good at it!

on Jul. 25 2011 at 10:34 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Of course they know we're on to them!  They made me write this story to warn all of you. ;)

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!