Characters

By CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Have you ever wondered why your perfect plans are shattered? Why a seemingly perfect romance ended? Why good luck strikes at strange times? Why life seems like a bunch of meaningless chaos?

There is a very simple answer to all of these questions. We were created by an ancient race of aliens and are nothing but characters in their stories, created to alleviate their boredom.

As soon as they are old enough to write, they are given a computer software program and a manual with only the most basic rules of their writing universe. In order to create a new character, they must collaborate with other aliens to make sure two human parents give birth to a child. This child will be under their control from the moment it is born until the moment it dies.

You are always subject to the whims of your creator. Everything you say, everything you do is controlled by them. Usually, the aliens have jotted down things they want to happen during your lifetime. But some aliens detest this and make random decisions as to where your life will go. This is where chaos comes from.

Our planet is relatively new, but the aliens have become bored with it. The best writers among them have declared that the Earth is a cliché, boring universe. They have decided they want to write in a new, more exciting world, so they have taken a special vote. It was this vote that decided how our world will end.

“Why don’t we let a black hole swallow their planet?”

“Nah, we’ve done that already.”

“What if the Earth spontaneously combusts?”

“That’s way too cliché!”

“Okay, why don’t we knock their planet out of orbit and send it crashing into the sun?”

“That’s a stupid idea.”

“Fine. How about we give all their world leaders bad cases of paranoia and see what happens?”

“Sure. Why not?”

And so, our world will not end with a bang, but with slow decay. Our increasingly paranoid world leaders will declare war on each other and humanity will slowly die out. But, since the aliens lost all interest in us, we have gained something we never had before: free will. It is now up to us to decide our fates—and the fate of our planet.

This was just a random idea that sprang into my head a few days ago. Feedback is greatly appreciated!

on Aug. 7 2011 at 3:29 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks!  I always appreciate detailed feedback. :)

on Aug. 7 2011 at 12:43 am
CheshireKat_95 BRONZE, Cambridge, Minnesota

"I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal."
- Jane Austen, letter to Cassandra Austen, 24 December 1798

Haha. Most definitely not. For me, interesting means "slightly weird in the very best way possible." I'll comment better feedback here when I get a chance, since you did ask for feedback in the forum post I made. ;) It might be a few days before I get the time. But don't worry! I haven't forgotten you, I promise. ;D

on Aug. 6 2011 at 10:51 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you for the feedback!

Fayrouz SILVER said...
on Aug. 6 2011 at 10:39 pm
Fayrouz SILVER, Fargo, North Dakota

"Only dead fish swim with the stream"

this wasn't exactly my preferred genre, even though it was very creative and interesting. the beginning is definitely something that draws you in, but i think you need a little more jazzy word choice to fully deliver your story in the tone that fits the plot! the end seems a little too incomplete for me, and i have a suggestion...but you're the author and it's your choice: why not take this story to the next step and have two humans live their life but show us scenes in which the aliens interfere. i think that's humorous and far more descriptive. all in all, it was a very interesting piece! keep writing!

on Aug. 4 2011 at 9:38 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Wow, thanks!  I'm glad you liked my article so much. :)

on Aug. 4 2011 at 8:08 pm
billgamesh11 BRONZE, Grafton, Massachusetts

"It's always darkest before the dawn." ~Florence and the Machine

WOW that was sooo creative!!! I really liked the humor in it too! This gets 5 stars!!!:):):);) And i love how you included the bit about how some aliens jot down stuff that will happen later in their life, a typical trait of writers everywhere;)Keep writing!!! PLEASE!!! The world needs good, creative ideas like this!!!!!!:):):);)

on Aug. 4 2011 at 8:01 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you!  I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

on Aug. 4 2011 at 7:55 pm
KayleeRae PLATINUM, Arvada, Colorado

"Either write something worth doing or do something worth writing."

I was literally chuckling out loud... It seems so reasonable, like this could totally happen. And maybe we writers actually are the controllers of the characters we write, even though we are controlled be the aliens... Crazy stuff right here. Blew my mind hahaha just like The Matrix

on Aug. 3 2011 at 7:19 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks so much! :)  I'm glad you liked it.

on Aug. 3 2011 at 3:13 pm
Love.Hate.Passion., Spring Valley, Illinois

~Hope. Faith. Love~
~Be proud of who you are.You are all unique in a different way.~
~I WILL NOT fade into oblivion , and become less than
a distant memory.~

This .Was.Awesome

I don't have words to express how much I really liked it. Your last paragraph was my favorite :)

on Aug. 3 2011 at 9:34 am
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

It was sort of meant to be comical, but deep at the same time. :)

Mystiecub said...
on Aug. 3 2011 at 9:33 am
Lol, this kept me interested. Was this meant to be comical? I could imagine the aliens talking lolz

on Aug. 3 2011 at 12:24 am
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you! :)

on Aug. 3 2011 at 12:16 am
Healing_Angel SILVER, Sydney, Other

Live for today, not for tomorrow

Still not really my style, but it  draws me in.... Great picture... 

on Aug. 2 2011 at 10:55 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Okay.  I hope 'interesting' isn't code for 'terrible.' ;)

on Aug. 2 2011 at 10:42 pm

Hmm. An interesting view of things. I'm not sure what to think. I'll think on it and get back to you. :)

on Aug. 2 2011 at 8:07 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

born2bewriting: Sorry, I just noticed your comment!  Anyway, until I started writing for Teen Ink, I wasn't big on writing comedy.  But I guess my true style has come out.

And no, I don't think this is going anywhere.  It's just a random short story I decided to write for the heck of it.

on Aug. 2 2011 at 8:05 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you! :)

on Aug. 2 2011 at 8:04 pm
Emma-Riley PLATINUM, No, Other

"Take my hand i give it to you, now you own me all i am, you said you would never leave me, i believe you, i believe..."
-Flyleaf

wow thats really interesting. i like the idea uve got. its really good... i like it

on Jul. 31 2011 at 1:36 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you!  I've never read Under the Dome by Stephen King, so I can't say I was inspired by it.

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!