Characters

Have you ever wondered why your perfect plans are shattered? Why a seemingly perfect romance ended? Why good luck strikes at strange times? Why life seems like a bunch of meaningless chaos?

There is a very simple answer to all of these questions. We were created by an ancient race of aliens and are nothing but characters in their stories, created to alleviate their boredom.

As soon as they are old enough to write, they are given a computer software program and a manual with only the most basic rules of their writing universe. In order to create a new character, they must collaborate with other aliens to make sure two human parents give birth to a child. This child will be under their control from the moment it is born until the moment it dies.

You are always subject to the whims of your creator. Everything you say, everything you do is controlled by them. Usually, the aliens have jotted down things they want to happen during your lifetime. But some aliens detest this and make random decisions as to where your life will go. This is where chaos comes from.

Our planet is relatively new, but the aliens have become bored with it. The best writers among them have declared that the Earth is a cliché, boring universe. They have decided they want to write in a new, more exciting world, so they have taken a special vote. It was this vote that decided how our world will end.

“Why don’t we let a black hole swallow their planet?”

“Nah, we’ve done that already.”

“What if the Earth spontaneously combusts?”

“That’s way too cliché!”

“Okay, why don’t we knock their planet out of orbit and send it crashing into the sun?”

“That’s a stupid idea.”

“Fine. How about we give all their world leaders bad cases of paranoia and see what happens?”

“Sure. Why not?”

And so, our world will not end with a bang, but with slow decay. Our increasingly paranoid world leaders will declare war on each other and humanity will slowly die out. But, since the aliens lost all interest in us, we have gained something we never had before: free will. It is now up to us to decide our fates—and the fate of our planet.

Healing_Angel This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 12:16 am:
Still not really my style, but it  draws me in.... Great picture... 

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 12:24 am :
Thank you! :)

CheshireKat_95 said...
Hmm. An interesting view of things. I'm not sure what to think. I'll think on it and get back to you. :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 2, 2011 at 10:55 pm :
Okay.  I hope 'interesting' isn't code for 'terrible.' ;)

CheshireKat_95 replied...
Aug. 7, 2011 at 12:43 am :
Haha. Most definitely not. For me, interesting means "slightly weird in the very best way possible." I'll comment better feedback here when I get a chance, since you did ask for feedback in the forum post I made. ;) It might be a few days before I get the time. But don't worry! I haven't forgotten you, I promise. ;D

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 7, 2011 at 3:29 pm :
Thanks!  I always appreciate detailed feedback. :)

Saysh said...
Jul. 31, 2011 at 1:13 am:
This was great! It reminded me sort of Under The Dome by Stephen King. (great book by the way) It was funny, but also kind of scary, because it's totally something people could be super paranoid over. good work!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 31, 2011 at 1:36 pm :
Thank you!  I've never read Under the Dome by Stephen King, so I can't say I was inspired by it.

eram1029 said...
Jul. 29, 2011 at 12:06 am:
i loved it, very interesting, kinda also puts the world in perspective. Technical: no grammatical errors, perfectly written Very creative :) it reminds me of a question I always ask myself, how much of our lives is determined by fate, and how much is determined by our own decisions..

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 29, 2011 at 12:37 am :
Thank you!  I don't believe the crap I wrote, though; all our decisions are our own.  Except when you need an excuse.  That's when you blame the aliens. ;)

DaylightDarkness said...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 6:41 pm:
This is incredibly creative. Wow... Really wow. This is a sweet idea.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 8:43 pm :
Thank you!  I was inspired by complete boredom at work to write this. :)

animalluvr4evrThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 9:05 am:
This is awesome!  I love the idea of how aliens are doing this to us! Lol. You are an amazing writer, let me tell you that!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 8:43 pm :
Aw, thanks!  :)

gracegirl29 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 27, 2011 at 1:26 pm:
I really like this! It went a totally different direction than what I was expecting, but great work!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 27, 2011 at 1:28 pm :
Thank you!  I aim to shock and surprise. ;)

NinjaGirl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 27, 2011 at 12:30 am:
A very interesting idea! It flows well and isn't long enough to bore the reader. I especialy like the ending line; it ties the whole thing together. Five stars :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 27, 2011 at 12:32 am :
Thank you!  I'm glad you liked it. :)

BalletGirl98 said...
Jul. 26, 2011 at 9:36 pm:
This was very interesting.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 26, 2011 at 11:20 pm :
Thank you! :)

Alon_Freevoice said...
Jul. 26, 2011 at 8:29 pm:
I like this but this doesn't seem like aa story to me. It looks more like an opinion. Great article though... :)