Characters

Have you ever wondered why your perfect plans are shattered? Why a seemingly perfect romance ended? Why good luck strikes at strange times? Why life seems like a bunch of meaningless chaos?

There is a very simple answer to all of these questions. We were created by an ancient race of aliens and are nothing but characters in their stories, created to alleviate their boredom.

As soon as they are old enough to write, they are given a computer software program and a manual with only the most basic rules of their writing universe. In order to create a new character, they must collaborate with other aliens to make sure two human parents give birth to a child. This child will be under their control from the moment it is born until the moment it dies.

You are always subject to the whims of your creator. Everything you say, everything you do is controlled by them. Usually, the aliens have jotted down things they want to happen during your lifetime. But some aliens detest this and make random decisions as to where your life will go. This is where chaos comes from.

Our planet is relatively new, but the aliens have become bored with it. The best writers among them have declared that the Earth is a cliché, boring universe. They have decided they want to write in a new, more exciting world, so they have taken a special vote. It was this vote that decided how our world will end.

“Why don’t we let a black hole swallow their planet?”

“Nah, we’ve done that already.”

“What if the Earth spontaneously combusts?”

“That’s way too cliché!”

“Okay, why don’t we knock their planet out of orbit and send it crashing into the sun?”

“That’s a stupid idea.”

“Fine. How about we give all their world leaders bad cases of paranoia and see what happens?”

“Sure. Why not?”

And so, our world will not end with a bang, but with slow decay. Our increasingly paranoid world leaders will declare war on each other and humanity will slowly die out. But, since the aliens lost all interest in us, we have gained something we never had before: free will. It is now up to us to decide our fates—and the fate of our planet.

LovelyBlueRose said...
Aug. 11, 2011 at 7:34 am:
Hahaha, you posted this in my contest! No wonder you won first place! It really tells us how we're acting in our universe. Awesome! Wow, running out of adjectives. . .

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 11, 2011 at 9:28 am :
Thank you!  I'm glad you like it. :)

CoffeeKat said...

Hi there! I just read your story--it was interesting to say the least! It's not exactly my style, but it was still a cool read with an interesting topic. A little scary though--I mean, what if this was what was really going on? O_O *shudders* Anyways, very interesting and well written. Cheers. ^w^

~CK

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 7, 2011 at 10:23 pm :
Thank you!  It's meant to be sort of chilling. :)

renthead96 said...
I loved this! It made me laugh. I like how it is referring to us writers and how we literally control our own every character's move. Yet maybe, just maybe, we ourselves are characters in some crazy alien's mind. This is so random and creative, two things I love.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 7, 2011 at 9:14 pm :
Thank you!  I meant for it to sound kinda like how writers control their characters. :)

Fayrouz This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this wasn't exactly my preferred genre, even though it was very creative and interesting. the beginning is definitely something that draws you in, but i think you need a little more jazzy word choice to fully deliver your story in the tone that fits the plot! the end seems a little too incomplete for me, and i have a suggestion...but you're the author and it's your choice: why not take this story to the next step and have two humans live their life but show us scenes in which the aliens interfer... (more »)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 6, 2011 at 10:51 pm :
Thank you for the feedback!

billgamesh11 said...
WOW that was sooo creative!!! I really liked the humor in it too! This gets 5 stars!!!:):):);) And i love how you included the bit about how some aliens jot down stuff that will happen later in their life, a typical trait of writers everywhere;)Keep writing!!! PLEASE!!! The world needs good, creative ideas like this!!!!!!:):):);)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 4, 2011 at 9:38 pm :
Wow, thanks!  I'm glad you liked my article so much. :)

KayleeRae said...
I was literally chuckling out loud... It seems so reasonable, like this could totally happen. And maybe we writers actually are the controllers of the characters we write, even though we are controlled be the aliens... Crazy stuff right here. Blew my mind hahaha just like The Matrix

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 4, 2011 at 8:01 pm :
Thank you!  I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

Love.Hate.Passion. said...

This .Was.Awesome

I don't have words to express how much I really liked it. Your last paragraph was my favorite :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 7:19 pm :
Thanks so much! :)  I'm glad you liked it.

Mystiecub said...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 9:33 am:
Lol, this kept me interested. Was this meant to be comical? I could imagine the aliens talking lolz

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 9:34 am :
It was sort of meant to be comical, but deep at the same time. :)

Healing_Angel This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 12:16 am:
Still not really my style, but it  draws me in.... Great picture... 

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 12:24 am :
Thank you! :)

CheshireKat_95 said...
Hmm. An interesting view of things. I'm not sure what to think. I'll think on it and get back to you. :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 2, 2011 at 10:55 pm :
Okay.  I hope 'interesting' isn't code for 'terrible.' ;)