The Rainbow Worlds (First Paragraphs) | Teen Ink

The Rainbow Worlds (First Paragraphs)

Hello and welcome to my world, my name is Kieran Tetherell and I am studying at Oxford University for my undergraduate Master of Physics degree. Life as a student can be stressful; having to turn up for endless lectures, piles of coursework, worrying about getting a job so you don’t have to survive on loans from parents and student allowance whilst trying to have a life in your free time. I’m not going to bore you with a lengthy introduction of myself so lets get on with the story.

I slowly moved the pads of my fingers over the water creating slow expanding ripples as I knelt by the small pond. I was hypnotized by the way the water was so pure it had a mirroring effect, which made it glimmer beautifully under the sun. I slowly lowered my hand into the water feeling for anything underneath but there was nothing. Slowly I lost control, my whole right arm was under and my left soon followed. I closed my eyes as my face made contact with the warm pure water.

When I opened my eyes again I was underwater in a sea. The water was just as pure and warm but I felt like I was in a completely different world than the one I had come through from. Without thinking I opened my mouth to breathe and panicked until I realized I was breathing. But with each breath the air I was breathing was much more pure than the other world’s air. I suddenly began realizing more odd things about the scenario. I was dry even though I was in water. I could see even clear than before. I was beginning to forget my home world. I was free from everything tying me down. In this world I could forget about everything wrong with my life; this world was perfect.

I began to swim slowly admiring the sights around me. There was white cliffs lining the sea’s edge which although far away I could see them clearly, thanks to the beautiful pure water. I could see in the distance, out of one of these caves, came a fish. As it came closer I noticed its features; vibrant colours of the rainbow streamed along its scales, its eyes were bright red rubies and it had a glowing aura surrounding its body. The rainbow fish swam around me spinning in a dance then continued off in front of me gesturing me to follow with it’s fins.

I'm uploading these first paragraphs of a book I'm working on because I want to see what people think of it.

Blurb: Kieran Tetherell enters complete new worlds in between his stressful student life. This is the first time, since he was younger, that he has found himself having an adventurous life and he doesn’t want to let it go.

This started off with an English homework assignment. We were to create a short-story from the start-off title The Rainbow Fish. After working on it I decided to work on it as a book project for myself and change the title to The Rainbow Worlds.

Hope you enjoy!!!