Once in a Lifetime | Teen Ink

Once in a Lifetime

By malainawrites BRONZE, Carthage, Missouri
malainawrites BRONZE, Carthage, Missouri
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

“A friend is someone who understands your past, believes in your future, and accepts you just the way you are.”

Ghaleon focused on the animal in front of him. He was crouched fiercely behind a bush. He was deep in the forest, he didn’t have a home so he had to get his food by hunting. He hoisted his bow right above the bush, He quickly pulled an arrow from the pouch that was slung over his right shoulder. Within a second, he had the arrow in the bow and was aiming at the deer. Deer wasn’t his favorite food to eat but it was better than nothing. He released the bow and the arrow shot the deer right through the skull. He stood up slowly, as if he was making sure that the deer was really dead. A slight smirk formed on his face as he walked over to the poor animal. He hoisted the deer up on his shoulder and carried him to a small cabin just outside of the forest.

After his meal, Ghaleon took a stroll through the village. Ghaleon was considered a wanderer, he never stayed in one place for long. He really only stayed in villages when he was on a mission or when he was visiting other mages in the area. Ghaleon was an old fashion mage. He liked to use bows and arrows to hunt for food instead of using magic to hunt for them. He tried his hardest to refrain from using magic too much, he preferred to keep magic a secret. Humans were far too judgmental for his taste.

Ghaleon stopped at a fruit vendor’s stand. He looked at all the fruit, he decided to buy some mangos and apples. He paid and thanked the vendor and then continued to walk through the tiny village. He noticed a young girl sitting on top of a hill, right as you leave the village. Her long, wavy black hair was blowing behind her shoulders in the breeze. Her eyes looked as if they were studying something. He noticed that she had a bow and arrow by her side. He liked that, she was a fighter, he could tell just by looking at her. He didn’t know why but he wanted to know who this woman was.

He smiled slightly and started walking up the hill towards the girl. After a few minutes of walking, he finally reached the top. He stood in front of her, he watched the girl’s expression. She looked sad almost as she glanced up at him. He held his hand out in front of her. “Hello, I am Ghaleon. I saw you when I was walking through the village. You looked upset so I thought that I would come up and see how you are.” He smiled slightly at the woman. A spark ran through his body, it seemed as if he felt a connection with this woman. He didn’t even know her but his heart told him that he did.

The woman looked at Ghaleon up and down. She studied him for a few seconds. She took his hand and shook it. “I am Kameko, nice to meet you. I am not sad, I am just thinking. I come up here when I need some time to be to myself. I appreciate your kindness though.” She smiled at him and stood up. Her kimono swayed around her ankles as the wind blew it. She hoisted her bow and arrows up on her left shoulder. Ghaleon nodded and kept smiling at the woman.

“I usually don’t do this, but would you like to go out to dinner with me?” He smiled at Kameko, he couldn’t believe that he had just asked this woman out. He had just met her, he thought that he was more of a gentleman then that. Kameko’s cheeks flushed with a subtle pink color. She nodded. “I would love to go out to dinner with you. I own the local Inn, you can pick me up there.” She gave him instructions to the Inn and then hugged him. “I can’t wait until tonight.” She told him that she had to get back to the Inn before she took off towards her Inn. Ghaleon smiled to himself and walked back into the village. He was trying to think of places that he could take Kameko on their date. He sighed as he walked through the village, there weren’t any places that were good for a date . He was about to give up on his search when he came across and small, classy little dinner. They served very fancy foods and the prices were reasonable enough for Ghaleon.

Kameko was standing behind the counter in the Inn. She smiled slightly and filled out some papers. The Inn wasn’t very busy today. But then again the village was small and they typically didn’t get much business anyway.

Kameko smiled as she hung the CLOSED sign in the door of the Inn. She then walked upstairs to her bedroom and ventured to the closet. She scanned through all of her kimonos. She was having a hard time picking one out. Her eyes lit up when she spotted her cherry blossom kimono. She grabbed it quickly and slide it on her slender frame. She pulled her hair tightly into a bun. She smiled more and waited for Ghaleon to show up.

Ghaleon took a deep breath. He had a bouquet of daisies in his hands. He approached the Inn quietly. He fixed his hair quickly and then knocked on the door. A grin broke out on his face when Kameko opened the door. He cleared his throat, “Hello Kameko. You look outstanding.” He said in a husky voice.

Kameko blushes as she linked her arm with Ghaleon’s. Her eyes widen when Ghaleon lead her to a fancy restaurant that lay in the middle of the village. “You didn’t have to bring me here, this is too much.” She looked at Ghaleon. Her face flushed when he tells her that it was not a problem.

After their dinner, Ghaleon took Kameko to the forest. He wanted to walk with her and get to know who she really is. “Have you lived in this village your entire life?” He asked her as they walked. Kameko shakes her head. “No, I moved here with my family when I was seven. My family is very poor. My father left us when I was three and my mother had to raise me and my four brothers all along. When I was seven she moved here because my Auntie lived here. Auntie helped my mother raise us.” She looked down. She was growing sad. She hated talking about her mother. “My mother passed away when I was ten.” She glanced up at Ghaleon.

Ghaleon was impacted by Kameko’s story. “That is so sad, I am sorry. My family was very small. I am an only child. My mother and father are wanderers. We never stayed in one village for more than a week. It was a hard life to live. I could never stay in school because of that, I only knew what my mother knew. That wasn’t much because she only went to school for five years. We survived on hunting and fighting. Without those two things, we would have died within a month.” He watched Kameko’s face as he told her a short version of his story.

Kameko stared at the cold, damp ground under her feet. “That sounds like a hard life to live. Learning would have been terrible back then.” Ghaleon nodded. “Yeah, it was. It’s okay now, I am doing fine.” He flashed her a smile. He didn’t know that his smile practically melted through her heart. She loved it, she felt such a connection to him at this moment. “This is nice. I feel like I am really getting to know you.” She told him in a soft voice.

She only had one worry. She wondered if he would leave her. He was a wanderer, he didn’t like to stay in one place for a long time. After a few minutes of battling herself she spoke, “Would you consider staying in this village so we can see each other more?” She asked him. She was nervous to hear what he had to say. Ghaleon’s face looked a little stunned. He smiled and nodded. “Yes, I would love to stay if that meant that I could see you everyday.” He leaned down and kissed her cheek gently.

“That means the world to me, I hope you know that. I really like you and I hope that you feel the same way about me.” Her blush grew across her face. It started on her cheeks and it spread to her nose and the top of her neck. Ghaleon saw her blush, his heart couldn’t take this. He wrapped a strong arm around the small of her back and brought her closer to him. He bent his head down and kissed her lips passionately.

After a few minutes, he pulled away. “These are the moments that we need to cherish. My heart is racing, it has never pumped this fast before in my whole life. You are the best woman in the world. I feel a strong connection to you, a connection that cannot be broken. I vow to protect you for the rest of my life.” He chuckled, “That is if you are willing to put up with me for that long.”

Kameko grinned from ear to ear and nodded. “I would love to spend the rest of my life with you. I know that I just met you but I feel something. Something that is so strong, it’s like chains are holding us together. Those chains won’t break over time, I promise.” She kissed him one more time. “The feelings that I am having for you are so strong that they only come once in a lifetime.” She told him with a soft yet loving voice.

I wrote this originally for my girlfriend, Beth but then I entered it into a contest for school. Beth is also one of my editors.