The World is a Boring Place | Teen Ink

The World is a Boring Place

March 25, 2011
By Yusa-pyan BRONZE, Bellevue, Washington
Yusa-pyan BRONZE, Bellevue, Washington
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The boy adjusted his glasses. His smirk and somewhat mad laugh echoed throughout the school building.

“Silence Jackson, this is a PE class not drama rehearsals,” shouted the PE teacher. “On the other hand, electronics are not allowed in class periods. Hand it over.”

The boy looked down at his PSP. This was his most prized possession. He would not allow it to be taken away from him that easily.

“Fine, then I’ll excuse myself from this class,” he announced, getting up from his tiring wall sit position.

“Hey wait,” started the teacher, but he was cut off by the closing door.

The boy smiled. He had succeeded in concurring the teacher again. After a while, the boy remembered that such hindrances such as the teacher would never be able to defeat him.

The boy’s instinct told him to head toward the park, across the street from the school. NO one would be there at this hour anyway. When he entered the park, he knew he was wrong.


A tall figure was leaning against a street light, its face, hidden beneath the shadow of the hood of the sweatshirt it was wearing.

The boy ignored the figure and sat on a bench across from the figure and began pressing on the PSP buttons.

“How mean, Moe,” whined the figure with a sarcastic tone. “You’re more interested in your games than your own sister?”

“A pair of large green eyes, much like his own, emerged from the shadow of the hood, and a prominent grin followed. “Good students should be at school.”

“I know that,” said Moe, not looking up from his PSP screen. “You shouldn’t be one to talk.” The sister gave a half-hearted laugh.

Besides what’s the point of succeeding in such a boring world?” Moe continued, as he stopped his pressing fingers, to stare longingly at the glowing world behind the screen.

“So, can you take care of dinner tonight?” asked the figure.

Moe glanced at his sister. She gave him a pleading look. And she had gotten down on one knee.

“Fine,” sighed Moe. “But we’re having my favorite, sushi.”

“Your little Japanese games are rubbing off on you.”

“OH, shut up, Mira.”

A faint smile played on her face.

“Didn’t I tell you not to call me that?”

“Sorry, it’s just a habit, and I’m not used to calling you by the other half of your name, Jean, like your friends do.”

Mira snorted, and disappeared down a secret passage in the woods that she apparently, used a lot.

Moe sighed, “Let’s see California Roll or Spider?”

By the time Moe finished making dinner, Mira had not returned home. To make matters worse, his mother left a note saying that she would leave this month’s electric bill for him to pay.

“Well this is great,” thought Moe. “First, I have to kick myself out of class and now Mira is not showing up for dinner. Now I have to use my allowance to pay the electric bill.”

“I’m home!” Mira shouted from the front door. This action alone tipped Moe off the edge.

“Who do you think you are? I wait for like 30 minutes, and you come home like you did nothing wrong!”

“Well, Dat’s be’cuz I didn’t do anything wrong.”

They threw comments back and forth at each other until seven o’clock, when apparently; Mira’s favorite TV show was starting. They resolved their quarrels, and returned to their quiet selves, watching television, playing games, and eating sushi rolls. After a while in during the silence, Mira spoke up.

“You know that she wouldn’t want you to be living life as you are now.”

“What, you mean mom?”

“Of couse not, I know ya’know who I mean.”

Moe was silent for moment, his eyebrows showing the slightest sign of sadness before reverting back to their straight and expressionless positions.

“I know,” started Moe, “but, I’ve decided long ago that things can’t go on like they’re meant to be.”

All of a sudden, the light flickered and the room went black.
The light from Moe’s PSP loomed over furniture, and the visibility got worse with every step away from the PSP. Mira squinted her eyes to see in the dim light.

“Hey, you over there who are you?”

Moe swung around, and was face-to-face with a kid around six years old, who wore a black top hat over his blonde hair.

“Who th-,” began Moe, but the odd little stranger cut-in.

“I believe you folks had a little sister; am I correct?” spoke the kid in a extremely strong, yet annoying British accent.

That comment left Moe and Mira dazed and dumbfounded.

“How did you know about that?” Moe asked cautiously.

“Hey you, boy over in that oversized hat!” shouted Mira squinting in the opposite direction.
Moe sighed, “I’m sorry she’s nearsighted and she hates wearing glasses. Over here Mira!” he shouted.

“Oh,” said Mira. “I thought that was our lamp, but anyway answer our question stranger.”
MY name is Sir Bibliotheque,” the boy said.

“Isn’t that French for Library? I thought you were British.” said Moe.

“Moe stop getting off topic, we’re not asking this kid about his six years of life.”

“If you want to know hos,” Sir Bibliotheque spoke, “I’ll be pleased to tell you that I’m involved in that little ‘accident’ of yours.”

Mira stood up immediately, and grabbed Sir B’s collar.

She screamed many, many terrible words at him until Moe was able to pry her fingers off his shoulders.

“What are you doing Moe?” screamed Mira, “I’ve gotta make this guy pay!”
“Mira we still don’t know if he is actually responsible for that! Let me do the talking.”

Moe cleared his throat and spoke, “If you’re really related to that incident, then can you get us back together with our sister?”

Sir B. smiled cleverly, and snapped his fingers. “If being together is your wish, then together it shall ,” he shouted.

Mira and Moe suddenly vaporized into the air and their hazy vapor swirled round and round until it finally entered the screen of Moe’s PSP. The screen suddenly turned black, while Sir B. smiled.

“I just love loopholes,” he sighed contently, and then he laughed long and hard.


The author's comments:
I really liked Inkheart, so I decided to do something similar only with video games. I hope you enjoy ^ ^