Identity | Teen Ink

Identity

By this_guy SILVER, Ennis, Texas
this_guy SILVER, Ennis, Texas

"Even the greatest of people have a breaking point, but what makes them truly great is overcoming it."

It was close to midnight when Detective Howard received a call. “Howard.”

“Hey boss, said his young rookie partner, we just got assigned to a triple homicide.”

“Where’s the sight?”

“Um, well, oh just got a message from higher up that another team just got it so, never mind,” the rookie proclaimed frantically.

“Listen kid, I know it’s your first investigation, but you don’t have to bail-“

“No it’s not that,” his voice suddenly serious, “look I’m already at the sight and trust me you don’t want to come.”

Howard felt a sense of foreboding. “Where are you at,” he asked, voice quivering, but with command.

The rookie sighed, “At your house.”

Howard arrived at his house ten minutes later. When he walked to the door he saw the usual yellow tape of every crime scene. He was accustomed to seeing this, but Howard just recoiled at the sight of this.

Howard went to the through the door and stopped in his tracks.

His wife and two daughters were lying on the floor with their chests cut open, their jugulars slashed open. Howard snapped back into reality when he felt a tap on his shoulder. He turned around and saw his partner with a look of pity on his face. Then he turned back to his late spouse and children. Something came over him. He felt a rage like he never experienced before. His whole body starting to quiver, and clinching his teeth he growled, “Who did this!?”

“Actually that’s what I want to talk to you about. We found some hair samples on the crime scene, and found out who it is.”

Howard turned and grabbed the sheet of paper and looked. For the second time in the span of two minutes he was speechless.

The rookie saw this and asked, “Boss, what’s up?”

Rage began to form in his face and exclaimed, “This guy was sentenced to prison for life for doing illegal experiments on people.”

“How do you know?”

“Because I’m the one who caught him and sent him to jail,” he growled vehemently.

Comprehension fell on his face. “So what are you going to do?”

“I think you know what I’m going to do,” he fired back.

And off they went to the state jail.

“He’s just passed this corridor,” said the guard.

“Thanks,” once the guard walked away he turned to his partner and told him, “you stay right here kid. This only concerns me and him.”

He nodded and stayed where he was.

As Howard walked he grew tense. Every part of his body was charged, he kept flexing his fingers as though ready to strangle somebody. Control, he thought. But he couldn’t. All that was in his head was one thing, revenge. Wild images began playing in his head as to how he was going to kill him. Control, he thought more forcefully.

He reached his destination. He opened the door and saw a man in his late fifties lying on his bunk bed. The old man looked who entered and smiled.

“Well hello Detective. Now what do I have the pleasure of meeting you?”

“I think you know Dr. Williams.”

“Hmmm. Ah, so sorry about your wife and children, but I did not kill them.”

“You’re lying”, shot back Howard. “We found hair samples at the crime scene and found out that, that hair sample is yours. So tell me, how you got to and fro from my house!”

Then Howard noticed something under his pillow. “What’s that?”

Dr. Williams looked and smiled. “Oh, this little beauty, I will tell-“

“Is that what you used to kill my family?!”

“For the last time Detective I did not-“

Howard snapped. He roared, grabbed Williams, and threw him to the ground.

“What – did – you – do – to – my – family?!” With each word he hit Williams hard in the face.

Soon Williams face was a bloody mess. Nose broken, and gashes on his face, and a cut above his eye. He started pleading, “Please Detective s – “

Howard roared and took out his gun and fired at his knee. William screamed in pain. Howard suddenly laughed. There was a mad gleam in his eyes, and he suddenly realized he’s enjoying this.

He took a step back, disgusted with himself, when out of nowhere he was struck hard in the back of the head. He fell down and before he was unconscious he thought he saw two Williams.

He woke with a start and sat up. Pain flared up behind his head. He tried to massage it with his arm but he couldn’t. He looked down and found out that he was wearing a straight jacket. He was confused. Then somebody said, “So the madman is finally awake.”

He looked and saw a security guard behind bars. Once again confused he asked, “Why am I in a jail cell, and why am I wearing a straight jacket. This is supposed to be worn by crazy people.”

“Well you see,” a bit of humor in his voice, “you are a crazy person, Dr. Williams”

He was flabbergasted. Then with a chuckle he exclaimed, “No, no, no, you’re mistaken officer. You see I’m detective – “

“No you’re not,” said a towering voice.

Then a man in his late fifties walked over to the cell and stood outside. He instantly recognized him and yells out, “That’s the real Dr. Williams. I’m Detective Howard!”

Detective Howard shook his head and sighed, “You see officer, he is not in the right state of mind. I think you should send him to the mental hospital, for his own safety.”

“I think your right detective.”

So he entered the cell and, Detective Howard came and drag Williams out of the cell. Once they entered the corridor, a person turned around and Williams instantly recognized him, but he couldn’t comprehend what he was seeing. Where his partner was supposed to be standing, there stood a younger version of Detective Howard, a perfect copy. Williams looked at one from the other. The old Howard noticed this and smiled “So, you finally noticed eh, detective,” the old man whispered with glee in his voice.

“What did you do to my partner,” he whispered in horror.

He responded casually, “Oh, I had him dispose, just like your family.”

“So you do admit that you killed my family,” anger in his voice.

“Oh no, no, no, Detective, what I meant to say was that it was my clone that killed everybody tonight.”

Once again Howard was shocked into silence. “You – your clone,” he stuttered.

The cold night air hit Howard full in the face. He snapped back into reality and asked one more question. “How did you do it? How’d you get everybody to think that I’m you?”

Dr. Williams smiled and reached inside his coat pocket and while pulling out the object, they heard sirens and heard the mental car came screeching in front of them. Then people came and grabbed Howard. He started struggling and yelling that they got the wrong man. Then one of the guys took out a syringe and plunged it in his neck. Instantly he stops moving and becomes silent. The guys opened the back door and threw him in. The last thing he heard was Dr. Williams gloating, “I finally have my revenge.”

Dayne22 SILVER said...
Dayne22 SILVER, Las Cruces, New Mexico

"Simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication"- Leonardo DaVinci "Sometimes people are beautiful. Not in looks. Not in what they say. Just in what they are" -Markus Zusak "I'm just trying to be me... Whoever that is" Unknown

Any time :) just let me know when you get the next part done :D

this_guy SILVER, Ennis, Texas

thank you very much!

Dayne22 SILVER said...
Dayne22 SILVER, Las Cruces, New Mexico

really? thats so neat im so smart hahaha I hope your continuing this i really like it :D

on Nov. 19 2010 at 10:51 am
this_guy SILVER, Ennis, Texas

Thanks, that's where I got the inspiration from.

Dayne22 SILVER said...
Dayne22 SILVER, Las Cruces, New Mexico

Wow this is really good! a couple of errors but other than that really good i like your story line it kinda reminds me of Shutter Island