Me, Myself, and Time | Teen Ink

Me, Myself, and Time

September 30, 2010
By zbru92 BRONZE, Franktown, Colorado
zbru92 BRONZE, Franktown, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I saw myself sitting at the little lunch table at the park I always sat at Saturday afternoon or lunch. I had a little bit of an inner conflict about whether or not his was a good idea, but then decided to screw the space time continuum and sat down next to me.
“Hey kid”, I said.
“What do you want?” I replied.
“I’m you, from the future”
“Prove it”
I sighed, and then pointed to a girl running around the playground, “I used to have a crush on that girl.”
My eyes widened. How could he know that unless he was me?
“Why am I here?”
“I have a vital question for me.”
“What?” I said, gaping in awe.
“Where did I put my Warman number seventy-two?”
“I came for a comic book?”
“Yes.”
“Why?”
“It’s the only part of my collection I can’t find.”
I gave myself a funny look. It’s about that time I showed up. I adjusted my lab coat and sat down with me and myself.
“Who are you?” I asked in unison with me.
“I’m you from the future.”
“So why am I here?” I asked me while I just stared at both of myself.
“The old version of my time machine only worked once, and I’m here to make sure I get back to my right time”
“How do I fix it? My grant barely covered the first one.”
“I sold my complete Warman collection.”
“What?” I asked in disbelief. “I’m definitely not giving it to me now!”
“It’s under the refrigerator”, I said, groaning at my immaturity.
“How did I know that?” I asked, sticking my tongue out at me.
“My future self told me”, I explained to myself.
“Oh”, I said. Then I took me to a secluded place and took me back to my own time. Leaving me, alone, to eat my lunch.

The author's comments:
I wanted to write a piece about a character who goes back in time to talk to himself. Then, I realized i was writing it past tense, which would technically mean all of it happened in the past. If its a memory, why would the character pick favorites? He would have memory of the whole thing from every perspective. i decide to explore this.