Glint | Teen Ink

Glint

By JUSTdream23 BRONZE, Mayfield Heights, Ohio
JUSTdream23 BRONZE, Mayfield Heights, Ohio

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it is better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.

Every night, when I looked out into the dark woodland behind my house, I would always see those two eyes staring right back at me. They were a deep golden color and seemed to light up like the stars themselves. Some nights I would look through the window, the glass a shield to the dangerous outside world. But most nights, I would go outside. Each night I would take a step closer to those eyes. In the beginning, they would turn around and flee, but they always came back the next night. Recently, the two of us have gathered enough courage to close the distance between us so much, I could see the deep grey of his pelt. In the night, it was so dark, the stars seemed to reflect off of it. He looked magical, like something too beautiful to just be casually seen in those dying trees. I have always felt a deep connection to him, a bond that would grow stronger every night the two of us came to the edge of the trees. For the past two years, we always came. As I walked out of the house on this night, sliding the glass door softly so I would not wake my parents, the eyes looked brighter than ever before. I took a few slow steps forward, my bare feet squishing the wet grass, cool against my skin. The eyes didn't move, did not blink, just stared right back into mine as I closed the distance between us. I could not stop walking toward him, I could not avert my eyes or even breathe. I was transfixed, intoxicated by his very presence. His eyes seemed to bore into me, judging my soul instead of my appearance. I stepped closer, inching forward in a pace that neither seemed slow nor fast until we were only a few feet apart. I could see him standing on all fours, gazing at me. I couldn't tell if his eyes were daring me to come closer, or just filled with curiosity. Before I could think and reason my action, I slowly moved my hand out until it was inches away from the top of his head. He did not move, and I did not either. The whole world seemed to stop spinning, as I tried to decide if I should reach out further, or snap my hand back. He turned his head toward my hand, causing me to jump, but I did not move my outstretched arm. Instead of biting it off as my mind continued to imagine, he sniffed it, then moved his head back in a position that made it easy to stare into my eyes. I slowly extended my fingers, until they came in contact with his coarse fur. He looked up at me, as I started to stroke his pelt. A cloud uncovered the full moon above us, cascading us in its eerie light. He arched his back and howled. The night was so magical, it seemed surreal, as if this was all just a dream.
But he came back the next night, and it began all over again. Our meetings continued, making night the most beautiful and enchanting time of day. An unbreakable bond, an everlasting friendship...between man and beast.

I would like people to see that you can find beauty everywhere, all you have to do is look. Also, I believe humans should have a bond with and respect for nature, and I hope people will realize that.

on Sep. 12 2010 at 10:44 am
readaholic PLATINUM, Tomahawk, Wisconsin

I'd rather fail because I fell on my own face than fall because someone tripped me up
~Jhonen Vasquez

Well its true you know!!! :D

on Sep. 12 2010 at 7:28 am

Thank you! :)

on Sep. 11 2010 at 11:42 am

~Jhonen Vasquez

Amazing...draws you in and paced just right!  I love it!