Train Ride to 2010 | Teen Ink

Train Ride to 2010

April 30, 2010
By WhoaJackJack BRONZE, Roslyn, New York
WhoaJackJack BRONZE, Roslyn, New York
3 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Everybody has a story to tell. It could be about watching the sunset, or watching your child take their first step. Unfortunately, my story is something that no one can ever believe. To this day my own wife doesn’t believe a word I said about my experience in the future. It was twenty-eight years ago, in 1971, I remember like it was yesterday.

I was a lot younger than, I was only twenty, and a lot of things were different. The World Trade Center was still being built; I went to the subway station a few blocks away to go to work, and I always remembered how tall it was when it was only half-way done.
They just made the R44 train; it was big back than, it was in the newspapers everywhere. I was excited to ride on it, I ran outside of my one room apartment at nine, or eight thirty, but that’s not important. The subway was crowded and everybody had somewhere to go. We waited and waited and we saw the bright shiny light from the dark end of the tunnel. We all cheered for joy, well at least I did. I pushed my way to the brand new train and took a seat in the bright orange chair. Oh it felt nice, but the lights were flickering. When the train started moving, I got drowsy and my eyelids started getting heavy. I tried to keep myself awake but it was too hard. We were going toward a dark tunnel and either my eyes closed or the lights flickered out.

My eyes opened and the people were completely different. There were people with strange clothes. The train wasn’t even crowded! I was shocked! I immediately looked around and saw a newspaper on an empty seat. The newspaper had color and was like a work of art compared to the one in my day. I looked at the newspaper closely and I noticed the date, January 23rd 2010. I didn’t believe my eyes! I got off the train and the subway is dirtier than it was at 1971. Without thinking I went up the stairs to the surface and I found myself shocked. It was where I worked. I noticed the small similarities such as the buildings architecture, but the thing that shocked me the most was the World Trade Center disappeared. I kept thinking to myself how it was possible. The Two Towers was one of the tallest of its time, and it simply disappeared? Advertisements were flashing in lights and cars looked sleeker and the gas didn’t cover the city. In ways it was a twisted version of the life I lived.

People were holding small devices that looked like phones but without a cord. Some things I didn’t even recognize. People looked at me if I was a souvenir, but what they were wearing was ridiculous. I didn’t know what to do. I was obviously not comfortable with what I was seeing so I went to subway station again. There was a bar that was holding me back. I had no choice but to jump over it. One of the employees were chasing me, telling me stop, but I kept running. When I was inside the train, I closed my eyes, silently praying to go home. I stayed on the train for hours, than I blacked out.

A man with regular clothes woke me up. I was exhausted he told me I had to go home, I relieved and shook the man’s hand with a smile and ran home. I t could have been real, it could have been a dream, but what worried me most was why was the World Trade Center gone? What happened to it? I may never know, but I know it still exists in my time, and that’s the most important part. I told all my friends and family, but they looked at me as if I was a lunatic. I probably would of done the same thing if someone told me the very same words that came out of my mouth.


The author's comments:
The title is pretty frickin' straightword.