Character Sketch | Teen Ink

Character Sketch

March 9, 2010
By Elaina Lambright BRONZE, Mattawan, Michigan
Elaina Lambright BRONZE, Mattawan, Michigan
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

One day when Ella was walking down the halls of the castle to tend to her maid job she saw the Princess. She had never seen the Princess before. The princess was wearing a pink silk dress with sparkles while I Ella, the maid, was wearing a brown ratty old dress with holes in it. My hair is a mess like I have not brushed it in weeks and I had holes in my shoes.

I was hoping so much she would talk to me and maybe give me one of her old dresses. But instead, she just keep walking. I guess I got my hopes up too high.

About a week later, I was working and I over heard the Princess and the Queen talking. The Princess pleaded to the Queen, “I would like someone to help me with my roles as a Princess"

The Queen told her “You are a Princess and you have roles that you have to do. But I guess you could use a little help."

"Thank you," she replied.

When I heard this I got so excited. Maybe she would pick me. Maybe she would be my friend, and maybe she would be nice.

When it came the day for her to pick from one of the maids all my excitement had worn off. I was not going to be picked. We were all lined up waiting for her to pick. She walked by looking at everyone very carefully. She looked a little longer at me then the others. She asked “What is your name?"


"Ella" I replied.

She looked for a little bit longer and then walked on. When it was time for her to announce who will pick everyone was still. She cleared her throat and announced “have chosen Ella." I froze. I was speechless. "Will you come up here Ella?"

I started to walk up there. My legs were so stiff from shock I thought I would not be able to walk. When I got up there I thank her with a pleasant smile on my face.

"Let’s go" she called. And that was my minute of fame. We got up to her room she walked in and handed me a list "here this is what I want you to do, now go."

Again I stood there in shock. I thought she was a caring person and a loving person who did not mind doing things her self. But I just took the list and headed to town. I read the list over and over thinking how crazy this was. Finely at the end of the day I finished the list and got back to the castle.
I gave her the stuff and then went to bed.

As I lay in bed I think if she will give me another list. I don't think I could live with a job that could be worse then my maid job. Why would she do that she said the job was helping her pick out a dress, helping her decorate for parties and other stuff like that. She also said that there would be a trust test or something like that but I am sure this was not it was not it. So tomorrow I will tell her she should pick someone else.

Tomorrow came very quick. I went to her room first thing and when I walked in, I realized how beautiful her room was. There was a nice fluffy rug on the floor. Her bed had beautiful drapes surrounding it. There was a gold border mirror on the wall and the whole room was very elegant. She looked at me, walked up to me and handed me a list. I looked at my feet and then I told her “NO!” I had an I – am – so – mad look on my face.

“What?” she asked.

“I will not do a maid’s work when I am not a maid so I might as well go back to being a maid.”

“Good,” she replied.

“What I did not understand is that I gave you that list to see if you were trustworthy and most of all to see if you would stand up for your self.” All I was really looking for was a friend. So what do you say? Will you be my friend?” She said all of this with confidence.

I was speechless, but managed to get the word “yes” out.

“Good,” she said with a big smile. “I have something for you.” Then she went to her closet and came out with a dress. She walked over to me and handed it to me. “This is for you.”

It was the most stunning pink dress with a sparkling tint in it. It was bouncing with color on it. “Thank you,” I told her.

“It was the least I could do. And I know our friendship will grow.”