The Aliance | Teen Ink

The Aliance

By Mercedes Rothwell BRONZE, Anaheim, California
Mercedes Rothwell BRONZE, Anaheim, California

Nikolas struggled against his cuffs. His powers would not work, He could not understand why. He should have easily been able to freeze through the metal easily. He stopped moving as the door to his cell swung open, crashing against the wall.

“Well Nicky baby, are you surprised to see me?”

His jaw dropped. “Es? I thought you were dead, I’m so happy you’re here. Quick release me!”

“I’m sorry Nicky, but I can’t do that?”

“What are you talking about?”

“Aren’t you wondering who sold you out to the Cleaners? How they knew where to find you, how to get in without setting off an alarm?”
“You?”
“Of course Nicky.” She smiled and pulled a syringe out of her pocket.
“But why, I thought you loved me.”
“You honestly thought what we had was real?” She laughed scornfully. “You are a bigger sap than I thought. I was sent as a spy to infiltrate your organization. They tried with Kiah and Luna, but you managed to detect and nullify our means of controlling them. Didn’t you think it was strange for me to appear out of no-where to save the day, dressed in that ridiculous outfit?”
“No, Es listen to me, they have you under their control, fight it, you’re stronger than this!”
She laughed again. “I never loved you, and now, I’m going to kill you.” She winced slightly as the needle pierced her skin. She pulled back the plunger and the syringe turned red. She roughly pushed back Nick’s sleeve.
“What are you doing?”
“Turns out our people are affected by blood. By mixing my blood with yours, I effectively nullify your powers. It’s incredibly useful as a torture implement as well. Sadly, I’m in a bit of a hurry right now so I can’t take to long in administering it. If I inject it very slowly, you’d be feeling the pain for hours, even days.”
She jammed the needle into him arm. Nick’s mouth fell open with a silent scream as the fire consumed him. His vision turned red and blurred. His body shook violently and sweat broke out on his forehead. Esmeralda laughed and yanked his head back with his hair. She kissed him on the lips and whispered in his ear, 'by the time I’m done with you, you'll be begging for mercy, and it will not come!' She threw his head back as she let go. She slammed the door behind her, and Nikolas sagged in his chair, breathing hard.

I began writing it for NANOWRIMO, a writing contest to write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days for National Novel Writers month. I didn't complete the novel in time,but I continued writing, it has become a passion of mine.