The Reader | Teen Ink

The Reader

January 9, 2010
By JHale_44 GOLD, Roseville, Michigan
JHale_44 GOLD, Roseville, Michigan
18 articles 0 photos 44 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Love is a mystery, and a lot of mysteries dont get sloved."

- Ivory Tears


I could hear voices, and sounds. I had never heard anything like them before. The sound of them made my mind totally drift. I sat in class facing the black bored. My eyes were starting to fade out. Everything that matter before now didn’t matter now. I put my hands in front of me, and I couldn’t even see them anymore.

The voices were getting louder. I covered my ears and yelled, “Stop! Please stop!” I was in a black hole of the mind. I couldn’t see anything, I couldn’t feel anything and all I could hear was the voices. Millions and millions of voices. I started to shake.

Then the voices stopped. My breathing slowed down. But I still couldn’t see. Then everything blacked. I could feel my body flop down to the floor. That was the last thing I remembered. And that was the first time it had happened. And surely not the last.

(2 years later) “Joli! Wait up!” My friend Alex said running up to me. “Hey Alex.” I said. We had been best friend’s sense first grade. And she had not totally dumped me because for my, “special” power. Yes, I’m talking about the mind reading. I’m a mind reader. But because of me still being in high school, and some of the stuff that 17 year olds think about I have learned how to block the voices out, I can always hear them, when I want to.
But I don’t have to when I don’t want to. And most of the time I really, really don’t. We walked down the hall way to our next class. It was very hard to have these powers and, you know, be a high school student. I walked into class Alex right next to me. And it hit me. I’m still not sure what ‘it’ was, but when it hit, it hit hard. I had to put my hand on the desk next to me to hold me up and, thankfully it was Jen Len’s desk. Goodie.

“Gross, Gardener. Get you’re had off my desk.” She practically yelled. The whole class bust out in laughter. But I was hurting. Bad. Alex looked at me.

“Joli, Joli, are you ok?” She asked. I couldn’t talk.

“Of course she not ok.” Jen started. “She’s your friend. Who would be?” The laughter got even louder.

“We need to get out of hear,” I struggled to say. Alex put her arm around my neck and we started to walk out. But right as we did, I looked back to the other side of the room; everything was the same, excepted one thing. One person, one new person. Wouldn’t have cared if it were any other place and time. But because of what was happening, I had to be on guard. It was a guy in the back of the class, and looked pretty normal, but one thing stood out. He was smiling at me. And when no one but me was looking at him, he did something that I never thought in life, he would do. He was sitting right by the window. In the blink of an eye he was out side. Then back again. He was a jumper. But the thing, the thing that scared me the most about him, was the fact, that I could, hear him. I couldn’t read his mind.
I and Alex walked home early that day. I totally couldn’t get that guys face out of my head. It was like glue. That’s half killing me.
“Joli? Are you ok?” Alex said. I didn’t know what to say. I wasn’t ok, but, I was dealing. Then again, I didn’t really know what I felt right now. I didn’t know at all.