Participation Awards Suck | Teen Ink

Participation Awards Suck

January 4, 2010
By Anonymous

“Tell me.”
I heard out of a darkness.

“Tell me.”
What. What? Tell what?

“Tell me.”
The voice becoming more and more agitated.

“What? What do you want?” Finally being able to open my mouth questioning.

“The resistance! Tell me about the resistance!”
Can’t tell, Can’t tell, keep mouth closed. Silence. Silence is the key.


“Answer me!”
Lifting my head, Opening eyes. Oh, the light burns, can’t focus.


“Answer me; you idiot!”
I shook my head. No, no, can’t tell keep your mouth shut, shut.


Pain swept across my face. The lights, the voice the pain disappeared.


I remembered out of the darkness of my mind; I remembered. The sign, the sign that started it all.

REVOLUTION OF UNITY
Everyone is the same no poor, no weak.
All are friends.
Call the number (919) 301-0081 to join
the REVOLUTION!


No one thought a sign that simple could start a revolution, but it did. Fliers, it was just fliers at first. Handed out by normal people just like you and me. Simple, not alarming. It promised so much though. THE REVOLUTION OF UNITY.


No weak, no poor, friends, global unity, no war. It was a good idea till it was taken too far, way too far.


The “word” was now being spread through television. More and more people joined wanting to be part of the revolution. The revolution promised world peace. Is that not what everyone strives for; world peace?


The “word” was now being spread more and more frequently. Alarming numbers were now handing out posters, fliers, they were talking about it. It sounded great, but something, something was terribly wrong. The followers started talking, sounding, acting, and dressing the same way. They seemed brainwashed, losing their individuality.

A cold liquid spread across my face.


“Come on.”
Said a voice in which I recognized. Opening my eyes. The light burned but my eyes began to focus. A figure of a man came into view.


“So are you going talk?”
The voice questioned.


I thought; talk about… the resistance of course. No, no can’t speak about it. Is he an idiot, he knows I won’t.


“No.”
Is all I replied. Eyes were now focused I could see that my idiot of an interrogator was head of the Revolution of Unity. Taking a deep breath he looked at me, scanning for any piece of information I might give out, but I just stared back.


“After questioning your second-in-command I didn’t think you would be this hard to get answers from.” He said circling around my chair like a vulture. “But; that’s alright I have all the information I need.”

He then signaled toward two guards standing at the doors. They both had the same expression, the same clothes, the same walk even. Progressing towards me they untied me from the chair hosting me up they led me towards the door, with their leader on our heels.


“The information I received from your second-in-command helped us locate the head of your operation.” He spoke breaking the silence. My heart beating in my chest.


My revolution was, no, no, No, NO! Don’t think that way! We’re fighting for the good. The good doesn’t lose. Does it?


He put his hand on my shoulder. I flinched.

“Don’t be distressed,” he laughed, “you will be able to see it all. Oh yes all of it right down to the last of your soldiers getting killed. Aren’t you lucky?” It felt as if a knife had been struck through my chest, I gasped.


The leader of the revolution laughed manically. Then pointed to a colorful sign on the wall. It was a sign of my revolution, the Revolution of Individuality.

The colors faded, the sounds faded into dull memories.

The television set chimed…


…And today marks the point of Unity, of sameness. The arts and sports programs have been abolished from schools…

Cheers


I stared at the television set in disbelief, but the horror continued.


Every child every person will be the same. No one will be the outcast, or the one who can’t play an instrument, or kick a ball well, we will all be friends.”

Clicking the television set off I stood up.

This is wrong, wrong, terribly wrong. Something has to be done, now, Right Now! It’s the last straw, they taken away everything. Arts, music, sports, even our way of dressing. People walk on the streets their dead, they look dead. Do they not see? Can they not see? They’ve lost their individuality.

Before I could think I ran out the door into the street, looking for anyone that was not dead to the world. I ran frantically looking at their eyes watching their movements. They were all dead, but wait, he was acting weird, no not weird different. Running up to him I looked into his eyes, he wasn’t dead.


“They done it!” he said in disbelief.


“I know.” I replied “We have to do something, and quickly.”

He nodded his head.

Over the next six months we worked in secret. Creating signs, fliers, radio broad castings, that were coded trying to recruit any body that was for the Revolution of Individuality. A revolution against a revolution.

To my relief not everyone was dead to the world. People were able to decode the signs and broad castings sending the word of the Revolution of Individuality out. By the end of the six months we had two million people working for us in the continent of North America alone.


“We’ve done it.” I said in disbelief. “We actually started a Revolution for good.”


“I know. Crazy isn’t it?” he said with a smile on his face, “The attack today in New York was successful.”


“Let’s hope we keep this streak going,” I replied looking down at the table. “and lets hope that people start to see what is going on.”

People never did see.

My memories faded as I was pushed into a room with a huge screen.

“Watch.” Said one of the guards pointing to the screen. I watched as the screen went to static to a faint picture and sound. I strained to understand what was going on till I heard a distinctive sound; bullets being fired. I then understood what I was witnessing, my head quarters being taken over.

No, No, NO, NO! It can’t happen, the last chance. I failed they won, they won. The truth kicked me hard in the face. I dropped to my knees watching and listening to my men scream as they fought, but they were no match. Everything fell silent, nothing moved on the screen. Every one of my men were dead.

Dead, I failed, the Revolution Failed, individuality failed.

“How does it feel,” Said the leader of the Revolution of Unity, “to be defeated?” He squatted down so that he was staring right at me.

I did not answer, but it felt horrible, terrible.

“As you can see your revolution lost, and mine is just at its peak.” He said pulling a gun out. My heart could not sink any lower than it already had.

“Just shoot me.” I said staring in his eyes.

“Gladly.”


The author's comments:
Watching the government and school system. Thinking about what could go wrong if someone made a fatal mistake that could not be taken back.