It is not me | Teen Ink

It is not me

September 27, 2009
By van5055 BRONZE, Sammamish, Washington
van5055 BRONZE, Sammamish, Washington
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

"Could I be any uglier," said Rebecca to her best friend Cynthia.

Rebecca was kind of on the heavy side, with glasses, long straight hair and out of style clothes. Her friend Cynthia was pretty hip, lots of nice clothes, cute and the guys loved her.

If only Rebecca could walk a day in the shoes of Cynthia. Rebecca longed to be pretty and popular.

"Ring, ring" the first bell of class went off and Rebecca hurried to class. She was a good student, all she did was study.

"Hey fat girl, want some more cake," said Mike. Mike was a tall muscular jock who all the girls adored. Rebecca just sat at the lunch table with her head hanging down. "What’s up, you want to go to the magic store after school?" said Cynthia. Rebecca looked up and agreed that it would be fun.

"Hey check this out, you can see your future," said Cynthia. Rebecca took a look and say, "ya, I know my future and it isn't that bright." The magic store had about everything you could want. "Wow, cool look at this magic spell book, I'm going to buy it." Rebecca bought the spell book and asked Cynthia to come over for dinner and they could read the book together.

"Your mom is the best cook ever," said Cynthia. Rebecca said, "That is probably why I'm fat." The two girls wanted to read the magic book in their secret hiding spot. After dinner they both went to Sanderson Lake. It was a beautiful lake with lots of trees, almost looked like it was out of a fairytale book.

"I'm going to try this secret spell," Rebecca said. Cynthia wanted to know what spell. Rebecca told her it was a secret and had to be recited only in her head and not out loud.

"If I could be anyone in the world, I would like to be Cynthia Holenday." Rebecca repeated this three times in her head and they she sprinkled magic dust that came with the book over her head.

"Well, do you think the spell worked?" asked Cynthia. Rebecca didn't know if it worked or not, she would find out in the next few days.

"Bzzz,bzzzz," the alarm clock went off and it was time for Rebecca to get up for another fun filled day at school.

Rebecca drug herself into the shower. Her phone was ringing but she didn't answer it. "Holy cow, it worked, it worked." said Rebecca as she got out of the shower and was standing in front of the mirror!

She stood motionless as she saw, not herself, but Cynthia in the mirror. What was she going to tell Cynthia or her parents? "Breakfast is ready Rebecca," called her mom. "Um, I'm not hungry today, gotta run mom." Rebecca raced out the back door and saw Cynthia at the bus stop. "Oh god, what am I going to do, what have I done." Rebecca kept saying this as she was walking toward Cynthia.

"What happened, you look like me, you can't go to school like that." said Cynthia. Rebecca just stood there and tears started rolling down her face. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry Cynthia, I just want to be pretty like you." Cynthia began to tell Rebecca that she can't pretend to be someone she is not, she has to be herself. "People need to like you for who you are and not what you look like." Rebecca told Cynthia it would only be for a day or so. Cynthia would have to tell people at school that she has a twin sister, but she goes to a different school. They decided to walk to school instead of taking the bus.

The girls arrived on school grounds and people were in aw at the twins. Rebecca loved the attention and especially the attention of Brad. Brad was the new quarterback for the football team. Brad seemed interested in Rebecca and asked her if she would like to have lunch with him.

Rebecca sat with Brad at lunch and they chatted. Brad was asking her what her high school is like and why her sister didn't go to a private school too. "I don’t really want to talk about my sister." said Rebecca. Brad quickly changed the subject and asked Rebecca to the school dance on Friday night. "I would love to go, you can pick me up at 8pm and I will give you my address."

"Brad asked me to the school dance Friday." "You mean he asked me." said Cynthia. Cynthia seemed annoyed at the whole idea and didn't want to talk about it. "Can I spend tonight and Friday night at your place Cynthia?" Rebecca couldn't go home looking like this. Cynthia told her it would be fine, but she had better come clean to Brad.

Friday night rolled around and the girls were beyond happy! "Omg, he will be here in 10 minutes." Rebecca kept repeating this over and over. "Shut up, will you." Cynthia said.

They arrived at the dance and Brad told Rebecca how pretty she looked and how he was looking forward to getting to know her more.

"I think my spell wears off tonight Cynthia." Cynthia just stood there and looked at Rebecca and said,” good, I am tired of looking at myself all the time."

"You’re a great dancer," said Brad. "Thank you, I could dance forever." Rebecca laid her head on Brad's shoulder and then they began to kiss very softly.

"I have never had a kiss that good," Rebecca said. "You have never had a kiss," said Cynthia.

"Your hair looks different," said Brad to Rebecca. Rebecca told him that it must be the way the light is playing on her hair.

"Will Brad Evans and his date please come up on stage," said the principal. Brad took Rebecca's sweaty hand and they went up on stage. The principal asked Brad to speak about the upcoming football game and let everyone know to be there and there would be a dance afterwards.

The lights were all on Brad, Rebecca stood off to the side. "Brad lets have your date come over and join you for a dance." said coach Hillard.

Brad took a hold of Rebecca's hands, which were cold and clammy. "Can I have this dance," said Brad. Rebecca stepped up into the spotlight and heard gasping sounds and laughter from the student audience. Rebecca knew that she must have changed back into herself and the spell wore off.

Brad kept dancing with her and then he looked at her and said,” Where is Rebecca?"

"I'm Rebecca, the real Rebecca." Brad was speechless and didn't know what else to say. Rebecca ran off the stage and out the door.

Cynthia went after her. Rebecca was in tears and said she could never go back to school again, ever.

Hey, Rebecca wait up,” called Brad. Rebecca stopped in her tracks. "What happened up there," asked Brad. "It is a long story and it involves a spell from a magic book, I just wanted to be somebody else, that’s it."

Brad told Rebecca that he felt cheated and used and what she did was utterly wrong. Rebecca apologized and asked him if he could ever forgive her.

"You humiliated me in front of the entire school and you humiliated yourself." Rebecca felt hot tears running down her face as she watched Brad walk away.

"Come on lets get you cleaned up,"said Cynthia. "I'm so ashamed at what I did and feel so stupid." Rebecca sat on Cynthia's bed, with tears still streaming down her cheeks.

"Hmmm, maybe if I go to another school, I can use that magic book and it will work on a permanent basis." Cynthia hit Rebecca over the head with a pillow. "Don't even think about that." said Cynthia.

The girls fell asleep laughing and talking about the magic book and how they were going to burn it for good.


The author's comments:
Be who you are and never try to be someone you are not.