My Reflection

Music blasted loud, me jumping around my room, singing crazy songs and dancing like no ones watching. Welcome to my days home alone. I sing, dance and dream in my room. I fantasize about things that may never come true. I play with my hair in the mirror, crazy styles that only social suicides’ would wear. Shirt after shirt, I try on; mixing and matching outfits. I come up close to the mirror and inspect every millimeter of my face. Connecting the dots from freckle to freckle and staring deep into the pools of blue I call my eyes. Backing up, I twirl around gleefully. I see the girl in the mirror make silly faces back at me, tongue out, lips to the side, cross-eyed. Snap. Snap. Snap. I catch them all on camera. I step backwards, like a drunken sailor, and fall into the safety of my bed. I drop my camera to the floor and jump, jump high to touch the ceiling. I hop over to my book shelf and snatch up my yearbook. There he is, the boy I’ve wanted for so long. That hair, those eyes, that brilliant smile, I give him a kiss on the cheek and resume my fun. I crank the music up another notch and rock out, completely un- phased by anything else in the world. I find myself by the mirror again, this time I smile, but the girl in the mirror does not smile back, she frowns. I stick my tongue out, but the girl in the mirror snarls. I put my hand up to the mirror and she grabs it.

CoreyVernot This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
More please!!!

Blue4 said...
Aug. 18, 2010 at 11:30 am

The begining never even suggested the ending! How unexpected! It was great, this would make a great full-length story. 5/5!

By the way, can whoever sees this read some of my stories, rate, and critisize? I'd appreciate it.

SilverMoon said...
May 22, 2010 at 11:31 am
great detail. i can imagine it all happening. love it. great twist at the end.

immortal_star This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oh I think this is for a Nobel prize, so extraordinary, never read anything like this before! I'm glad this is a top-voted article, I'm sure it will stay for a long time starting from now!

Arpanan said...
Wow Maddie! Love it! Really realistic and very cute, keep writing!

love.v said...
wow this is really good. i love all the details and the character is likable and easy to relate to. A wonderful twist at the end! such a cliffhanger!

Maddie H. replied...
Dec. 29, 2009 at 12:11 am
thank you!