Happiness | Teen Ink

Happiness

August 7, 2009
By Icecreamwon BRONZE, Cliffside Park, New Jersey
Icecreamwon BRONZE, Cliffside Park, New Jersey
4 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
Where there's a will, there's a way.


For years I have been looking for happiness. I didn't realize that it would be so hard. I had traveled over the country in the search of happiness. "Why do you try so hard," said my friend, "when you might never find it?" I thought for a moment. "Happiness is the only thing you need in life. You don't need air, water, or food as long as you are happy."
So was it worth wasting all my time? Could my friend be right? My head was spinning. I came home soon afterwards.
Years later, I told the story to my little sister. She looked at me with her big round eyes and said, "But sis, happiness can't be found because it was never lost. Whenever I'm with you, I am happy. Whenever I smile, so do you. You were already happy." I found truth in those words and I was satisfied.. My sister had known something that I didn't, and I thanked her for telling me.

The author's comments:
This piece is about knowing. The girl in the story didn't know it, but her little sister did. To tell the truth, I don't have a younger sibling. It is just a story, but you could find truth behind the words.