Finding Flit | Teen Ink

Finding Flit

By Keaira BRONZE, Edmond, Oklahoma
Keaira BRONZE, Edmond, Oklahoma

In a world of CooCoo Puffs, dare to be a Fruity Pebble.

I sighed as I got off the shuttle that stopped near Bear Lake. It was early in the morning so the July heat hadn't gotten to everyone. I headed on to the path. My destination, first Emerald Lake and Asha's cave. It was hidden by a barrier that only fairies could get through. Fairies like me who live in the human world. After I visited with her I'd head on up to Lake Haiyaha. The place that, five years ago, my best friend in the whole world and I were going to spend the day. But Flit had never come. When I told the Council about his standing me up they said that he had died. They didn't say how though. And then when I got nosey enough to ask the four Council members who were there at the time and Samoa, Mother Nature, each alone, I had gotten five completely different stories!

"Mommy! Mommy look at that girl! There's a squirrel on her foot!" I looked down and saw a chipmunk on my boot. Just then my cell rang and I answered it.

"Ella," I answered using my human name because I hadn't bothered to check caller ID.

"Keaira?" Samm, my human sister, responded, "Are you sick? Do you feel okay? Does some one need to come and get you? Icea said that you were blubbering like a baby last night." That's me. Keairakash Pine alias Ella Tiller in the human world.

"Samm remember. It's been five years now."

"Oh. Right. Bye then. Make it home safely okay. Don't shift to fairy, fly home, and trip on air on the way home. Promise?"

"I promise." I hung up and headed up the path and thoughts swarmed in my mind like sharks to a bleeding animal.

If Flit is alive then he was possibly sent away. No that's ridiculous. Maybe the Council doesn't know how he died and just wants me to believe what ever. Obvious denial.

I stopped at Nymph Lake and admired the water lilies. Laughing, I remembered a time that I'd brought Flit here when we were eight.

"Keairakash?" Flit had asked me, "What is a nymph?"

"I doona know. I think, according to humans, they're evil fairies. Or self-centered. I forget." I left the lake and walked farther up the path and eventually got to Dream lake. There, I saw a person that I was completely, with out a shadow of a doubt, sure was going to ruin my day. The human Fred. I walked past him without giving him even the slightest knowledge that I had spotted him. As I walked I was fairly sure that he was following me. I was shocked by how easily he took the bate. I thought that he would have learned not to follow me after what had happened last week in that little ally way when I had caught him stalking me.

"Maybe his parents dropped him on his head while he was a baby," I hypothesized. It sounded plausible.

I arrived at Emerald Lake and didn't see him. I just shrugged and started climbing the bigger rocks to where the mountain bowled out. I made my way over loose rocks until I reached the hidden cave entrance. I walked in and stretched my arms.

"Come here often?" the all too familiar, and now annoying, voice asked. I jumped and turned around. That move left my back to the wall.

"Honestly Fred," I said putting my hands into a fighting position, "do you ever learn? Was me creaming you in the ally after I caught you stalking me not enough. Do you really need a round two? And most importantly, how do you know my real na-?!"

My sentence was cut short when his hands pressed on my shoulders, pinning me against the wall. I hadn't realized how close he'd gotten. Fred leaned in closer until our faces were only a fraction of an inch away. Then before I realized what had just happened, his lips were on mine. This complete idiot and total stranger was kissing me. And if that wasn't bad enough, I wanted to kiss him back. Common sense over ruled my hormones and I pounded on the wall of the cave to call to Asha for help. Any earth fairy would have to be a complete idiot to not recognize my distress signal. After that I pushed him away and into the other wall.

"You PERVERT!" I shouted wiping my mouth with my arm, "I don't even know you. You've messed with the wrong person!" As I spoke my threat I shifted. Light surrounded my body. While it did, leaves engulfed my chest and formed a top. A flower petal swirled around my waist and constructed my matching green skirt. Two blades of grass snaked their way around each foot and up my legs to become my boot. My wings formed from light and for a split second the emblem on my right eye was a real leaf. The light faded and I was once again a fairy. "Fred," I said, "you're dead."

In the back of the cave I heard the mad buzzing of wings. I looked around and saw, instead of the purple eyed, dumb blond (no offence to anyone else, my human form has blond hair too) pervert. I saw the yellow eyed purple haired...

"FLIT!?" I shouted. Just then I remembered that Asha was going to attack whomever was in here that wasn't ME.

"Asha stop!" I shouted, "It's Flit!" You know. Had I realized it two seconds earlier Asha could have stopped her attack in time. But all I could do was stand there and watch with my mouth hanging open like a dope. Stalagmites formed from the floor and a cloud of dust hindered my sight of him. Asha couldn't completely stop her attack but she was able to move it so that he wouldn't be killed. The dust settled and Asha sent the rock to its normal shape. We both saw Flit.

"Good bye Keairakash," he said. With that he disappeared. Had I not been in complete shock I could have stopped him. But I didn't.

Asha, I signed my mute friend, did you see what I saw? Or am I just mad.

You do not appear to be angry. But I did see Flit.

Not what I meant. But if I'm not crazy I think that Fred's Flit! I thought for a moment. Where's the nearest portal?

Why?

I need to get to the fairy realm ASAP.

Right where Flit was standing. Whatever you are planning please be safe.

Aren't I always?

No.

Very funny Asha. I'll see you when I get back. Bye!

Good bye and good luck. I ran through the portal and ended up in the fairy realm. I had no idea where I was. I flew straight up above the trees and got a good look around. I needed to head due north. Right before I did a voice stopped me.

"Keairakash!" Bramble, the most annoying fairy in the entire realm, called out.

"What?" I asked him.

"Are you lost?" he asked back. It was all too obvious that he had a crush on me.

"No. Not any more. I know where I'm going now. Thanks though."

Hahahah. RUN! my mind yelled at me.

"Can I escort you?"

No! my mind screamed.

"Sure." I mentally slapped myself.

"Okay then. Where to?"

"Center Forest Village." We flew in silence until we landed and started to walk.

"So what are you planning to do in the village?"

"Flit's alive," I told him.

"What do you mean?"

"He followed me to a cave, kissed me, then vanished!" He stopped walking and started to mumble.

"I knew the Council should have executed him instead of banishing him." I froze and my heart lurched up into my throat.

"What," I demanded turning around, "did you say?"

This is an part of a chapter of a book I'm working on.

Writer_Jordan GOLD, Ellicott City, Maryland

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

And by the way, if you were to include 'bad' fairies into your novel: the spelling for a bad fairy is faerie. People think there's no difference...there is!

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

I was a little lost as far as details went--what people looked like, etc.

Tongue_Blep PLATINUM, ????, Ohio
REALLY!!! good story! I loved it! Hey just posted a couple of stories. Could you check them out? Just click my user name and click one of my stories. Thanks! ( Any one can check out my stories if u want too!) :)(:

WriterGirl427 BRONZE, Washougal, Washington
You should check out my fairy sotry I wrote! It's a short story. It's called, "The Fable of Tinkertom and Tinkerramen." I want some input onb it :)

This is pretty entertaining, but I think you should work on grammar a little. Also someof the sentences are a little unclear. I think it's very interesting though! :)

Keaira BRONZE said...
on Nov. 2 2010 at 6:09 am
Keaira BRONZE, Edmond, Oklahoma

Ok.  I'll check it out and let you know.  I have another artical that was posted.  It is called Finding Flit pt II Found 'em

Mariah_13 PLATINUM, Vienna, Virginia

Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Love it! Keep writing! I'm definitely buying this when it comes out! Please check out my work! i'm big into fantasy!

Keaira BRONZE said...
Keaira BRONZE, Edmond, Oklahoma

Let me rephrase.  Does any one have any cool novel ideas?

Keaira BRONZE said...
Keaira BRONZE, Edmond, Oklahoma

Thanks anyways

deus-ex-machina14 BRONZE, Stewartsville, New Jersey

"There are two main tragedies in life. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it." -Oscar Wilde

Well, I didn't really mean to say it like that, sorry for being rude, but I try to be as honest as I can on here. And normally I don't favor these kinds of things, but this is very, very good. 

Keaira BRONZE said...
Keaira BRONZE, Edmond, Oklahoma

Hi!  If anyone has any plot or characters they think that would work in my book, the plot isn't eched in stone until it's published!  let me know!  I'll try it out!

Keaira BRONZE said...
Keaira BRONZE, Edmond, Oklahoma

Thanks! It means a lot to me when someone who isn't really in to what my writing subjuct is likes what I've written!

I agree with like everything you're saying. The writing is just right and I also have a kind of low tolerance for fairy things. This is really good!

Keaira BRONZE said...
Keaira BRONZE, Edmond, Oklahoma

Thanks!  

Keaira BRONZE said...
Keaira BRONZE, Edmond, Oklahoma

Thanks again.  I've posted what happened later that day.  It's called Finding Flit pt II Found 'Em

Keaira BRONZE said...
Keaira BRONZE, Edmond, Oklahoma

Thanks! :)

Keaira BRONZE said...
Keaira BRONZE, Edmond, Oklahoma

It's part of a book

fyreflies BRONZE, Randolph, Wisconsin

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." Doctor Suess
"Oh, of course it doesn't hurt to slide in softball." (before I tore up both knees and before I slapped that person)
"Stay with me here now/And never surrender" Skillet

You're welcome! ^_^

I'm also pretty entranced by your writing style. It's not unusual, but you use the words just right. I don't know how to word it for normal people to understand, but...you know... :P

Keaira BRONZE said...
on Jul. 9 2010 at 6:17 am
Keaira BRONZE, Edmond, Oklahoma

Thanks you!

fyreflies BRONZE, Randolph, Wisconsin

Of all of the fairy things I've ever red, I guess I've never gotten into them, but I love this story. It's not all pretty and delicate, but has some harsh tones to it. Much better than the fairies little girls envision. :)