End Of A Dream | Teen Ink

End Of A Dream

July 16, 2009
By evil_naiad PLATINUM, Afton, Virginia
evil_naiad PLATINUM, Afton, Virginia
22 articles 0 photos 18 comments

Waking up happy is really an underrated phenomenon. At least it is here, where everyone believes in being dark and miserable because that helps magical powers work their best.

I can't remember the last time in life I was happy.

Well, I can remember a few times. Moments of, I don't know, satisfaction or something, this is good. But they're rare, and they're always fleeting. Quickly forgotten. Like I said before, happiness isn't a priority here. It's all training. Focus and discipline. You know.

Sometimes at night, just to get away from it all, I go outside and sleep under the stars. You can still see them, most nights, just barely, like pale dots in the dark, dark sky. It's pretty cold I guess, but I'm used to it.

Last night was one of those nights. Later today it's going to be all tests and exercises, preparation for when I come into my powers on my birthday next week. It's so tiring even to think about.

Tiring is good, 'cause it gets you to sleep.

When I woke up it was still dark out. That made sense, it's dark 20 or so hours of the day here. What didn't make sense was how striking the stars were - bright, like lanterns, and twinkling somehow. I can't explain it.

Then I blinked, and they were back to normal. But I still felt kinda weird. I rolled over onto my side and I tried to remember what I was dreaming... but no. It doesn't work that way.

G'morning.