End Of A Dream

Waking up happy is really an underrated phenomenon. At least it is here, where everyone believes in being dark and miserable because that helps magical powers work their best.

I can't remember the last time in life I was happy.

Well, I can remember a few times. Moments of, I don't know, satisfaction or something, this is good. But they're rare, and they're always fleeting. Quickly forgotten. Like I said before, happiness isn't a priority here. It's all training. Focus and discipline. You know.

Sometimes at night, just to get away from it all, I go outside and sleep under the stars. You can still see them, most nights, just barely, like pale dots in the dark, dark sky. It's pretty cold I guess, but I'm used to it.

Last night was one of those nights. Later today it's going to be all tests and exercises, preparation for when I come into my powers on my birthday next week. It's so tiring even to think about.

Tiring is good, 'cause it gets you to sleep.

When I woke up it was still dark out. That made sense, it's dark 20 or so hours of the day here. What didn't make sense was how striking the stars were - bright, like lanterns, and twinkling somehow. I can't explain it.

Then I blinked, and they were back to normal. But I still felt kinda weird. I rolled over onto my side and I tried to remember what I was dreaming... but no. It doesn't work that way.

G'morning.