Why Are You Leaving Me? | Teen Ink

Why Are You Leaving Me?

By elliebognar BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
elliebognar BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

I am dirty. I am unclean. I am disgusting. What made me this way? They complain about my appearance, but they only make it worse. They’ve made me into the monster that I am.

I live out my days turning and yearning for a solution to my current state. Many of them have tried to fix me using devices or online campaigns—which go in and out like a craze. If only they would notice the damage they’ve already done.

When I was younger, I took for granted my cleanliness. When I was simpler and respected. But the truth is I’ve been betrayed by the ones I trust. Digging, cutting, and drilling. I sit and wait for them to realize their grave mistakes. Only they don’t. And they never will. They’re so greedy. 

After years and years of being trampled over I need to take back my control. It’s been way too long since I’ve had power over decisions. Now look, I’m not trying to get hit with another meteor. That was painful. But I want to stir it up a little bit. They’ll never see it coming. 

Besides, they need a little shock to their system. So guess what? I made myself warmer—even in the chilliest places. My ice is melting and my oceans are warming and for once it feels great to be able to not have to wear a coat. 

Finally, they began to notice what’s wrong with me. Even the governments in all my countries! I’ve made it to the front page of the newspaper. It’s everything I could’ve ever dreamed of. 

Only, I’m very lonely now. They keep talking about leaving me for one of my brothers and sisters. Figures. I guess it’s my fault for wanting revenge. All I wanted was to shock them into listening to me. Nobody ever does that. 

It’s all about the resources I provide. My rich soil, plentiful oceans, and beautiful rainforests. Lots of communities thrive using me. Sometimes I wish they would care about what they take from me. Not a lot of them even know where these resources come from. What if I told them that oil they use to fuel their cute little cars came from a giant rig drilling into me constantly. Not so cute anymore is it?

I’ve been a home for countless generations. You wouldn’t believe that I’ve even known about the most prehistoric dinosaurs. That ended rather quickly. I mean seriously, as of right now I’m the only known planet that can maintain life. 

All this talk about taking care of me and now they just want to get up and leave? Well, my brothers and sisters aren’t much better than me. For starters, I can actually hold life. They can’t do anything. One of my siblings was quite literally disowned from the family a couple years ago. Yet I’m still here. 

As far as I’m concerned they’ve gotten everything that was coming to them since I was born. My resources are dwindling and I’m the shell of what I used to be. 

Even when they’re gone I’ll be here regardless of my state. I could be dry and barren where I used to be covered with water, I’ll still be here. I could be flooded, not a dry scrap of land to stand on, I’ll still be here. Where will they be?

Maybe when I’m useless they’ll finally see what they’ve done.