Light in the dark | Teen Ink

Light in the dark

By dreamwriter BRONZE, Aspers, Pennsylvania
dreamwriter BRONZE, Aspers, Pennsylvania

I ran through the forest, my heart beating uncontrollably with fear and my lungs burning from all the running. I couldn’t tell how far I ran, but I knew it wasn’t going to get me anywhere. He was chasing me through the woods and there was nothing that I could do to stop him.

My feet were bare, and I could feel the blood seeping from the wounds on my heels where I had hit that sharp rock a distance back, but that didn’t stop me from running, and trying to get away. Trying to find somewhere t hide from the monster that was gaining on my steps, but it was useless. There was nowhere to hide. Nothing could protect me from him.

My lungs were on fire, and I could feel my stomach and my side aching. He could have easily caught me already, with his unnatural speed, but he didn’t. He was taunting me. Teasing. He really wanted it to be a hinting game. I was the prey and the predator was after me. Wanting, hungry, and ready to take my life from me.

I ran further into the cold night, the moon full, and high in the sky. If it wasn’t for the moon, then I wouldn’t be able to see anything. I was grateful for it, but I shouldn’t be grateful for anything. Not when my life was on the line, and I was about to die. My death would then send the covenant down a large pit with spikes at the bottom, ready to pierce their power and kill off whoever had joined it.

I didn’t rest for over half an hour and my body was aching. Give up already, I told myself. Might as well give up and let him have you. He’s going to have you either way. Give up.

But I couldn’t. I couldn’t give up without trying. There was still hope. A small bit of hoe, but it was there, like firewood ready to be lit to become a large fire and swallow me whole. Hope wanted to come out and take me away from this place. To let me live and take my place as the Priestess of the covenant. The covenant full of bloodthirsty vampires.

I could hear him close behind me. He was there, watching me. Laughing at me for even trying to run. He found this amusing and I could hear his voice ring out into the night as branches and bramble got caught up into my hair, not slowing me down, even as it pulled my hair from my head.

“Why try Ellie? I will catch you. Believe me. I will catch you and drink from you like a fountain. I’ll make you beg for you life and make you wish you were never born.”

His voice chilled me to the bone, but I tried blocking out his words, and continued to run. My pace was slowing from me being so cold, and running for so long. I shivered as sweat rolled down the side of my face. My shirt that I wore was torn in many places and drenched with sweat. My legs were cut and scraped from where thorns and branches cut through the material of my jeans.

I raced on, even though I could hear his footsteps right behind me. I wasn’t going to give up without a fight. I wouldn’t let him take me that easily. Sure, he might be ten times stronger and a lot faster then me, but I wasn’t going to give in. Not like the other girls he killed. I vowed to be stronger. To be the survivor of his game.

“Ellie.” His voice was raspy and next to my ear, causing me to trip and stumble down a large hill with rocks and stumps.

I tumbled down the hill, hitting everything in my path, sending sharp pain though out my body, making me groan in pain. When my head hit a large rock sticking out from the earth, the pain was so sharp, I moaned and let out a low groan. I felt blood dripping from all the wounds on my body. Felt the blood comin out from my head, soaking my hair.

Get up! Get up Ellie! You must be strong!

I struggled, trying to make myself get up. I trembled, and fell back onto the branches ad leaves beneath me.

GET UP! GET UP! HES COMING AFTER YOU! GET UP NOW!

I couldn’t. I just couldn’t. I was too weak. My body ached from the run and from the fall. I was done. My life was spent, and I couldn’t make myself move. I couldn’t get my body to move. It just wouldn’t work. My limbs were weak. My stomach ached. My heart was beating faintly. I had already lost my will to live. I knew that I couldn’t live for much longer.

The moons light was right in my eye’s. I starred up at it though blood was covering my left eye from the gash on my temple. My head pounded, and I continued to stare up at the moon. I wished that I was like it. So beautiful and mysterious. I wished that I could only come out like it culd during nights to let everyone see my beauty. I wished that I was as free as it. Without pain and aching.

The moon was blocked, then, by the monster that had chased me. He smiled down at me, his fangs sticking out from his lips, sharp and waiting to tear at my flesh. He kneeled down to me, and took my face between his cold hands. I tried making my body fight, but I was too weak to even lift my fingers. I couldn’t do it.

“You were the best of them all Ellie.” He whispered, his dark black eye’s starring down at me with hunger. “I will never forget how you tried getting away. I had fun. I really did.”

I starred at him and opened my mouth to speak, but nothing came out but a groan.

He pressed a finger against my lips. “Shhhhh. It will only hurt for a little while. Don’t worry. I’ll put you out of your misery soon enough. But first-“

He bent his head down to mine, and I felt his lips touch mine. I tried pulling away, but my body wouldn’t respond. What was wrong with me? Nothing. He did this to me. It’s not my fault. Not my fault….

When I felt his hands touch my waist, and bring me into his arms as he kissed me, my heart beat was growing fainter. I couldn’t feel anything anymore. I knew I was dying.

He kissed my closed eye’s and then the side of my face, as if he were tasting my skin. “You taste extrodinary. Now die.

I felt his teeth against my neck, then he pierced my skin. The pain was so underable. But I couldn’t feel anything now. I was alreadt drifting into the darkness. Dying in the arms of a monster.

With one sharp breath and one last heartbeat, I let go of the world, and left it behind.

I wrote this three years ago when I had become consumed in writing. I love to write, and I really hope that this piece becomes part of a book that will get finished (hopefully) In my senior year. I just turned a senior and i'm looking forward to writing over the summer and finishing the story that is stuck in my head.

Nova LInn said...
Hey! This is great. I wish you would write a sequel to this story. This is nice.  Go on with this story. Good Luck!