A Story For You | Teen Ink

A Story For You

By lili-p BRONZE, New York, New York
lili-p BRONZE, New York, New York
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Once you step outside you can hear silence and speak darkness or so you would like to think, most likely you can hear the absence of sound and as for the ability to speak darkness that is a whole ’nother tale. Alright I guess you can hear silence, it isn’t a usual gift not like sensing the movement of the planet, that one is strangely common. So you grow up down the hall from me, you always disliked me. I suppose it was my flakiness or my ability to sense time, nothing big but nonetheless it made me strange. If it makes you feel any better I didn’t like you either, you had too many faces, time was too kind to you, I hated you for that. Even though I could sense time, it was not kind to me. Eventually as we grow up, I grow out of my dislike of you, instead I am fascinated by you, you who glittered. Time passes and glitter fades. Time, originally so kind to you regrets it’s gifts and slowly begins to take them back, not fast enough though, you manage to gain something, an immunity from the anger of time. As much as it works time still manages to wrap around you pulling you down and into oblivion, where you once stood others stand willingly ignorant of the fact you once stood there. I remember though, right, the beginning, the step outside, you have just asked me to tell the story again, I haven’t finished it yet but I will start again and make more sense so you can follow. 

You are inside a room, a glowing room, yes this is how the story starts and yes it has always started this way, it isn’t white, in fact it isn’t a color or the absence of color it is just glowing and you step outside. As soon as you step outside you can hear silence, it whispers to you things that no-one should know and as soon as you open your mouth you can speak darkness, and it pours forth from your mouth and fills the room sinking into the walls into the bones of the building. But, this isn’t a story about your abilities nor is it a story about mine, it is a story about what you did with the little time you were granted and this was a story you once told me. A story of impossible lakes and mountains whose peaks had disappeared a long time ago. About, day’s when you rose and dawn was a distant memory on the horizon of your mind and the milky way still an ever present river of time and light. Days when stars burned bright in the sky never to be eclipsed by the brilliance of the sun. A story about the half-completed stories you found there and will never be able to finish. A story of loss and of gain. A story of sight and of blindness. A story of you. No? You don’t want to hear, ok I will tell you about the time that you escaped time then. No? Not that one either? Ok what do you want to hear about? No not that one we agreed, choose another one. Very well.

Long ago, before time and darkness before light and start-dust there was a sun and a solar system and a planet surrounded by moons. It took years for the inhabitants of the planet to realize that in fact there was a sun, they knew they were moving as each moon shone a different color. The people there had never been touched by the harsh glare of sunlight and didn’t keep time the way we do, the planet wasn’t affected by the passage of time the way we are today. Time there was simply a way of measuring when the different moons would be seen in the sky. The world shone silver, blue, and very very occasionally purple. 

I hope people will get empathy and a undertsanding that no relationship is cut and dry, relationships are messy and sad and happy.