Time | Teen Ink

Time

I woke up in the dead of night for the seventh time this week. I reluctantly exited my bed in hope that medicine might help me fall back asleep, both for my headache and restlessness. I had scheduled an appointment with my doctor to speak to him about it, considering the intensity of the pain. Extreme pain is never a good sign.

January 16th, 2013

My doctor informed me that there is a high likelihood that I am sleeping in an uncomfortable position, as my headaches hadn’t escalated since the time they began. Most importantly, if it were something to be worried about, I’d probably be dead by now.

January 23rd, 2013

I went into the hospital for more examinations, but nothing was found. The headaches continue to wake me up at night. I have been instructed to fill out forms on how I feel when I wake up, along with the time and date.

January 24th, 2013

I woke up at 4:32 AM today with a massive, searing pain on my head. Upon touching the back of my scalp, it multiplied to extreme amounts. I thought I could hear a quiet, low pitched sound coming from an unknown origin. I assume that’s not a reason for concern. Probably just the neighbors, who recently gave me some food as a gift.

January 25th, 2013

I woke up at 6:00 AM again with similar results. I heard the sound again, only it was slightly louder. I decided to check on my neighbors in the morning to see if they were alright. I could’ve sworn I had neighbors.

January 30th, 2013

I always wake up at 6:00 AM. It doesn’t matter what time I fall asleep, it happens every night. I hope I’m not going insane.

January 31st, 2013

I walked through the forest near my house, the trees dancing in the light, cool breeze. A beam of sunlight gently touched the lake, being pushed away by its surface. There I sat, listening to the beautiful sound of nothingness, watching fish swim through the clear water.

I thought of times past while I sat and watched the factory in the distance. The lake couldn’t have disappeared over night. I looked at the document I had written. Surely my doctor would be able to help.

Present

I am now used to the pain I experience upon waking up, but am not used to its absence. I look at the clock, 5:56 AM. I hear a knocking sound coming from the first floor, so I decide to get out of bed and investigate. I grab a bat and creep down the stairs. The knocking is coming from my front door.

“Open this door immediately or we will use force. Do not resist.”

I grip the bat tightly and slowly open the door.

As soon as I open it, the man grabs me by the arm and turns me around. I struggle, grabbing his wrist. I touch a strange watch-like device that produces an indescribable feeling in my hand. He appears to realize what I have done, shooting me in the back of the head as the clock strikes six times.

January 15th, 2013

I woke up in the dead of night for the seventh time this week.