The Werewolf | Teen Ink

The Werewolf

April 11, 2019
By dubey.s.519 BRONZE, Jubail, Other
dubey.s.519 BRONZE, Jubail, Other
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

He was there again. Mark was waiting for someone over the mountains lit by moonlight. It didn’t rain that day like it usually did. He felt the hesitation when he was at home. The feeling he felt every other fortnight was eating him up from outside. He could see his shadows transforming into a deadly creature. Praying for his friend, Jane, to bring him the potion before the deadly transformation occurred. He could already feel the hairs growing tall on his back, making him feel more aggressive every passing second. He could feel his scratches burning on his hands. Then he felt something or rather someone behind the dense bushes. He heard a scatter in the bushes, and became alert instantly.


Jane was a teenaged girl who was trying to help her best friend Mark stop his transformation into a menace. She was a very optimistic and well-organized girl, who seemed to plan every .action she took in advance. She was a quick thinker who could picture any problem in her mind and take quick actions to solve it. This was what made her special and a very good friend of Mark.


That night Jane was going to go to a party but then her intuition of Mark’s problem stopped her. She sat down on her red wooden chair as she usually did whenever she was trying to think of a plan. She looked furious about the situation and thought this was becoming more and more intense every other fortnight. She was tired of healing Mark again and again, and instead wanted a permanent solution to the problem. She could see that her potions didn’t really have a long-lasting effect on his problem.


She was eating dinner that day when her phone beeped with red light. Without wasting any time, she swiftly got up and rushed to her room. It was that time again when Mark needed to be taken care of. She made her decision of treating this problem forever that day. Mark’s location was displayed on her phone. The same old mountain with dense forests, with no source of light except moonlight. But this didn’t scare for her positive aura lit up her pathway in her life. She grabbed the potion she had been brewing for days and put all her energy in it. She looked at herself in the mirror and felt a boost of confidence thundering down her body. As she was leaving the house, she made sure she had locked all the doors and turned all the lights off as she couldn’t afford to take any risks at this point.


The moon had risen just a few minutes ago. It was a little cloudy that day; however, the moon seemed to peep out of the clouds. The moon looked red that day, just like the color of notification Jane received on her phone. She quickly glanced at the streets to see if anyone was following her. Running across the streets, she finally reached the mountain. She felt a cool breeze touching her skin as she began to climb the hill. It gave her chills. She started walking as fast as she possibly could while making sure she didn’t trip over the bushes in the dark. Suddenly, after walking for 10 minutes, she stopped and stared at trees in front of her. It was almost as if the trees were calling Jane towards them.


Mark wasn’t feeling well. He knew that Jane was coming but that thought didn’t make him feel any better. He was more concerned about how his behavior might harm Jane. He didn’t want anyone around him during his transformation except Jane, so he hid inside a small cave made of rocks. He then decided to bite his fingers as hard as he possibly could, as that always helped during times like these. His nails were growing long, his arms were getting bigger. His face became red. His eyes were burning from inside. He let out a pitiable, muffled groan. He was getting aggressive. He started punching the walls of the cave but then realized it would be harmful to him. He tried his best to remain calm.


Jane realized she was getting late, so she ran to the trees and plucked as many leaves as she possibly could. Those leaves weren’t just any leaves, they were magical. They had healing properties. She then started running towards the cave while looking at her map on her phone. She saw a red light shining on the walls of the cave, and immediately understood that Mark was in there. She took out the bottle of potion from her bag and mixed the leaves inside it. The solution turned milky with a small explosion. She left her bag on the grass and rushed towards the cave. Mark was already looking scary and half of his body had already been transformed. She threw the potion on him and the moment it touched his skin, it evaporated. He let out a loud wail. The mountain seemed to have an earthquake after that. He became paralyzed for 10 minutes. Jane left the cave and never saw him again.


The author's comments:

I have written this piece about a fictional story of a boy turning into a werewolf and his friend Jane tries to save him.