Little Grey Wolf | Teen Ink

Little Grey Wolf

By Booklover5 BRONZE, Lockport, Illinois
Booklover5 BRONZE, Lockport, Illinois

You know the story of Little Red Riding Hood. Perhaps you have even read a few adaptations. All these stories claim to be the true story, but they aren’t. This is the real story, and it doesn’t have anything to do with this so called character Little Red Riding Hood.

Little Grey Wolf had been begging his father to let him come on a hunt for weeks. Finally, his father let him come with. Little Grey Wolf was so excited he couldn’t keep still and kept scaring off their prey. They only managed to catch three rabbits.

His father, anxious to get rid of him and start the real hunting, sent him to bring his mother the rabbits so she could make rabbit stew.

“Don’t stop along the way to talk to anyone. Head straight home or the stew won’t be ready on time. Do you hear me?”

Little Grey Wolf had been imagining how delicious his mother’s stew would taste and hadn’t heard a word his father said.

“Yep!” he said. He took the rabbits and went on his way.

He had barely started back home before he met a hunter on the path. Instead of being cautious, he returned the hunters wave.

The hunter called out to him, “Where are you going, young wolfling?”

“Back to my house to bring my mother these rabbits. She makes the best rabbit stew ever!”

The hunter asked. “And where is your house?”

“Oh, just over the next hill there’s a fork in the path. I take the left one and my house is on the right.”

“And where’s your father?”

“Oh, he’s still out hunting, he won’t be back for a while yet.”

The hunter raced off, in the direction of Little Grey Wolf’s home. Just then, a group of Little Grey Wolf’s friends came along.

“Hey Grey” one of them said, “We’re going down to the creek to catch toads. Wanna come?”

Little Grey Wolf forgot all about bringing the rabbits home to his mother. “Of course I’ll come!”

Little Grey Wolf spent several minutes at the creek before he remembered that he needed to take the rabbits back to his mother and started back home again.

While Little Grey Wolf had been distracted, the hunter had gone to Little Grey Wolf’s house and found it empty. The hunter found one of Little Grey Wolf’s mother’s cloaks and put it on, making sure his face was shadowed.

Little Grey Wolf burst into the room, radiating excitement, “Mother! Can you make rabbit stew with these rabbits?”

The hunter nodded and held out his hand. Little Grey Wolf had handed the rabbit over before he realized something was wrong.

Just as he started to say, “Hey, wait a min-” the hunter, rabbits in tow, raced out the door. Little Grey Wolf chased after him, but he got away.

That night, when his Father returned, Little Grey Wolf got a stern talk about listening to his parents and was sent to bed hungry.

The End

This is an adaptation of the story Little Red Riding Hood