Fire and Shadows | Teen Ink

Fire and Shadows

By KinseyMac23 SILVER, Adel, Georgia
KinseyMac23 SILVER, Adel, Georgia

If you believe only in facts and forget stories, your brain will live, but your heart will die.

We have all been taught how day and night work. The sun rises and descends, and then the moon brings along the darkness that consumes our sky. But no one knows that this is not how it actually works.

At the beginning of time, all that existed was two colonies, The Colony of Light and The Colony of Darkness, each led by their corresponding leader. They battled for thousands of years, neither one ever conquering the other, which caused an eternal gray. Time only fueled the raging fire of hatred between the colonies, and caused the King of Darkness and Queen of Light to become even more exasperated with each other.

But then humans were created.

The war instantly stopped. Neither side knew how to react, so they just froze. They hid from the new creatures to protect themselves. Nobody dared to interact with one of those things because no one knew how dangerous they were. They could be cold-blooded beasts with an agenda to kill for all they knew! But they soon learned that this was not the case. The humans were very soft hearted, only killing the animals so that they could survive.

Everyone in the colonies fell in love with them. The Queen and King compromised. They created a set schedule to divide when each colony ruled over the Earth, and called the parts day and night. They took refuge in the moon and sun so the humans would never learn of them, and provided light and darkness with no more war. But that doesn’t mean the fire is completely put out.

The two colonies constantly tormented each other with new inventions, like fire and shadows. But one day, the King went too far. He created clouds to block the sun, compromising the light. This single move caused the fire to burn brighter and taller than ever before. The Queen decided to create stars, making light pierce through even the darkest of nights. The war started again, but somehow, this time was different.

The Colony of Darkness’ clouds captured the gray. Everyone was confused, the colonies, the humans. But things got even more puzzling when water started falling from the clouds. The humans were amazed, but also extremely joyful. Some were dancing, some were taking shelter, but all of them were smiling, so the colonies joined along. They all started smiling along with the humans, because the human’s joy made them happy. So now, every time there is a battle between the colonies, rain falls and makes everyone cheerful.

I love creating new myths, and this is one of the ones I thought of.